Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
bush postpones 2008 election...
    #6273353 - 11/11/06 08:05 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

the nation ..

Quote:

Bush Postpones 2008 Election

by STEPHEN GILLERS

[from the August 14, 2006 issue]

Cites Constitutional Power to Protect Nation's Security

What Did 'Four Years' Mean in 1789?

WASHINGTON, June 21, 2008. President Bush, citing his authority as Commander in Chief of the armed forces and his inherent constitutional power over foreign affairs, today ordered a postponement of the 2008 presidential election in order "to protect the American people in our war on terror."

In a speech during a surprise visit to Baghdad, where he celebrated the summer solstice with the troops, Mr. Bush told the nation that the election will be "rescheduled as soon as a change in leadership does not create a security threat and not a second later. When the Iraqis stand up, we'll vote."

"Elections are important," the President acknowledged. "I know that. I believe in elections. I'm President because of an election, sort of. But protecting the nation from another 9/11 is more important than holding an election precisely on time."

The President noted that as Commander in Chief he had already approved telephone wiretapping without court warrant, incarcerated alleged "enemy combatants" indefinitely without trial and, in a February 2002 order, now rescinded, had authorized the armed forces to ignore the Geneva Conventions when "consistent with military necessity," so long as everyone was treated "humanely."

"If I can do all that, I can defer an election," the President said. "Look, as between not voting on time and getting locked up without all those Geneva rules and such, which is worse?"

In a Washington press conference following the President's speech, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales laid out the legal basis for his department's conclusion that the President could postpone the election.

"Legally, it's simple," Mr. Gonzales said. "It depends on what the meaning of 'four years' is. The Constitution says the President 'shall hold his office during the term of four years.' It does not say 'only four years' or 'four years and not a day more.' The Framers intended 'four years' to be a preference, not a rigid number. We should not take it literally any more than the words 'hold his office' means no woman can be President. A woman is running now.

"Time meant something different in 1789," Mr. Gonzales added. "This was before airline schedules and self-winding watches. People didn't run their lives by the clock. Many Americans didn't have clocks."

In a speech on the Senate floor, Joseph Lieberman (IND-Conn.) supported the President's decision. "While I do not believe we should lightly suspend the exercise of the franchise," he said, "protection of the nation cannot be and must not be a partisan issue. As Americans, we can all agree that security is the most important job of a President. We can have a country without an election, but we cannot have an election without a country. It's as simple as that."

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), the likely Democratic nominee, had no immediate comment, but her office said she will hold a news conference following the results of early polling. A spokesperson for her campaign, granted anonymity because she was not authorized to speak to the press about anything, said the senator "is absolutely opposed to postponing the election as such, but she is amenable to rescheduling the day designated for the actual vote. There is a difference."

Senator Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), chairman of the Judiciary Committee, said he was "troubled" that he had not been consulted on the President's decision. He vowed to "hold hearings following the day that should have been election day if I am chairman of the committee at that time. Unfortunately, we're backlogged on judicial nominations at the moment, and then there's the summer recess. People have plans and nonrefundable tickets."

At his press conference, Mr. Gonzales denied that the Supreme Court's 2006 rejection of military tribunals meant that the President could not delay an election. That decision, known as Hamdan, rested on federal statutes and the Geneva Accords. "Hamdan was about trials, not voting," he explained. "Geneva doesn't apply to voting. It's a mistake to confuse the two."

Asked if he expected a court challenge to the President's decision, Mr. Gonzales said he was "resigned to the prospect that some may cynically try to use this for their own political advantage." But he added that he was "confident that if the case reaches the Supreme Court, five Justices will agree with our interpretation of 'four years.'"

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: bush postpones 2008 election... [Re: Annapurna1]
    #6273366 - 11/11/06 08:10 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

CRAWFORD, September 13, 2008. President Bush tragically falls off a cliff and dies. Bummer.

:earth: :yinyang: :shineon:

--------------------

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: bush postpones 2008 election... [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #6273487 - 11/11/06 08:56 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

because then dick cheney would be POTUS for 4 1/2 months...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

#6273503 - 11/11/06 09:04 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

damn replacement parts  :hissyfit:

okay, dick has a stroke and is taken in by scientologists.

eh, that wouldn't work either.

damn replacements..

--------------------

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

#6273510 - 11/11/06 09:08 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

President Bush, citing his authority as Commander in Chief of the armed forces and his inherent constitutional power over foreign affairs, today ordered a postponement of the 2008 presidential election in order "to protect the American people in our war on terror."

sincerely though,

i wouldnt' exclude that possibility.

if anything i could see him re-amend the BOR so that the president can serve for more than two terms, and then diebold his way into the third. :mad2:

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6273525 - 11/11/06 09:18 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Wouldn't Congress have to approve something like that? :smirk:

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: bush postpones 2008 election... [Re: Redstorm]
    #6273528 - 11/11/06 09:20 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Revolution time!

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

Offlineslamdunk
MexicanGang-Banger
    #6273735 - 11/11/06 10:23 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

so.. is he talking about the election in the U.S. or in iraq? I'm confused.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: bush postpones 2008 election... [Re: slamdunk]
    #6273753 - 11/11/06 10:29 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

You're confused because you've mistaken satire for reality.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinegregorio
Too Damn Old
Male

Loc: Classified
    #6274107 - 11/12/06 01:35 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I remember three years ago all the nutjobs were predicting that Bush was going to call off the 2004 elections. You people need serious help.

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
Re: bush postpones 2008 election... [Re: gregorio]
    #6348019 - 12/08/06 01:09 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gregorio said:
I remember three years ago all the nutjobs were predicting that Bush was going to call off the 2004 elections. You people need serious help.

seriously  :thumbup:

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

InvisibleDieCommie

#6348768 - 12/08/06 06:09 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gregorio said:

agreed  :thumbup:

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#6349095 - 12/08/06 08:00 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

who predicted that? I dont remember that. source?

OfflineColonelpoop
Poopyhead

Loc: On the ground, rollin' ar...
    #6349523 - 12/08/06 10:22 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

WASHINGTON, June 21, 2008. President Bush, citing his authority as Commander in Chief of the armed forces and his inherent constitutional power over foreign affairs, today ordered a postponement of the 2008 presidential election in order "to protect the American people in our war on terror."

No way, ain't happenin'. Bush's reign of terror is just about over now. All that "poof I'm king" shit is overwith.

Two words: Congressional hearings.

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
    #7399142 - 09/12/07 12:33 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

AlteredAgain said:
damn replacement parts  :hissyfit:

okay, dick has a stroke and is taken in by scientologists.

eh, that wouldn't work either.

damn replacements..

Well, if we somehow made it past Bush and Cheney, we'd get good old Pelosi from San Fran! So she'd get assassinated by an Illuminatti soldier during the swearing in.

I give up, I'm cashing in all my stock, and buying gold, gas, guns, food, bullets and vegetable seeds.

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: bush postpones 2008 election... [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #7399191 - 09/12/07 12:44 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Lightningfractal said:I give up, I'm cashing in all my stock, and buying gold, gas, guns, food, bullets and vegetable seeds.

That doesnt sound like giving up, that sounds like staying in the fight!

(nice bump btw, well see this tread again in 09 when we have a new president)

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
Re: bush postpones 2008 election... [Re: DieCommie]
    #7399217 - 09/12/07 12:50 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
well see this thread again in 09 when we have a new illuminatti president!

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #7399530 - 09/12/07 05:23 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Is The Nation like The Onion, a satirical paper?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
Re: bush postpones 2008 election... [Re: Seuss]
    #7399830 - 09/12/07 08:17 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Is The Nation like The Onion, a satirical paper?

Not usually, but it is clear if you read the whole article that this is a joke. The Nation is a left wing magazine and has always been highly critical of Bush.

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

Invisibleelbisivni
Re: bush postpones 2008 election... [Re: gluke bastid]
    #7400019 - 09/12/07 09:25 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

this article reads like bad satire

Quote:

"Elections are important," the President acknowledged. "I know that. I believe in elections. I'm President because of an election, sort of. But protecting the nation from another 9/11 is more important than holding an election precisely on time."

The President noted that as Commander in Chief he had already approved telephone wiretapping without court warrant, incarcerated alleged "enemy combatants" indefinitely without trial and, in a February 2002 order, now rescinded, had authorized the armed forces to ignore the Geneva Conventions when "consistent with military necessity," so long as everyone was treated "humanely."

"If I can do all that, I can defer an election," the President said. "Look, as between not voting on time and getting locked up without all those Geneva rules and such, which is worse?"

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order