Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Windows Vista So Secure, No Anti-virus Required??
    #6270959 - 11/11/06 01:34 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Windows co-president Jim Allchin has said that Windows Vista, which met its release to manufacturing milestone earlier this week, is so superior to Window XP on security that he feels safe letting his own son run a PC without anti-virus software.

A prominent security analyst countered that that attitude would be fine as long as everyone using Vista was a seven-year-old.

During the Q&A portion of a telephone briefing with reporters Wednesday, Allchin said he was proud of Windows XP SP2, another operating system effort he led. "[But] there were things that we couldn't put in that product," he said.

"Don't misunderstand me, this is an escalating situation. The hackers are getting smarter, there's more at stake, and so there's just no way for us to say that some perfection has been achieved. But I can say, knowing what I know now, I feel very confident."

So confident, in fact, that his seven-year-old son's Vista PC lacks anti-virus software.

"Honestly, he doesn't have an antivirus system on his machine. His machine is locked down with parental controls, he can't download things unless it's to the places that I've said that he could do, and I'm feeling totally confident about that," Allchin said. "That is quite a statement. I couldn't say that in Windows XP SP2."

"Sure, if everyone treated their employees like seven-year-olds, and locked down their PCs 100 percent, how could a virus load?" said John Pescatore, a Gartner analyst and the research firm's resident security expert, on Friday.

But that's not going to happen. And in the real world, Windows Vista does need anti-virus software.

"As soon as you allow users to load anything, and everyone will allow that in Vista, then you need AV [anti-virus]. For two reasons, one small and one big," said Pescatore. "The small reason is the hope that it will block viruses and worms. But the big reason is so that you run an AV scan once a week and remove viruses before they can cause too much damage."

Another Vista opinion that Allchin put forward on Wednesday got better reception from Pescatore.

"It's my opinion that the severity of the [security] bulletins will be less [in Vista than in XP], as well as the number will be less," predicted Allchin. "That's to be proven, so we'll see about that. Vista will have issues in security because the bar is being raised over time, [but Vista] is the most secure system that's available, and it's certainly the most secure system that we've shipped. So I feel very confident that customers are far better off by using Windows Vista than they are with anything that we've released before."

Pescatore agreed. "Since Windows Server 2003 came out, it has had many fewer vulnerabilities than Windows 2000 Server," he said. "It was their first server OS since they began to take security seriously. Vista is their first desktop OS.

"We expect that Vista will be to Windows XP as Windows Server 2003 was to Windows 2000 Server."

Allchin, who has been with Microsoft since 1990, will retire at the end of January, after Vista ships. Earlier this year, 17-year veteran Steve Sinofsky was appointed to succeed Allchin as the head of the company's Windows division.

Windows Vista will reach corporate volume license customers this month, and consumers on Jan. 30, 2007

http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193700656

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Re: Windows Vista So Secure, No Anti-virus Required?? [Re: Diploid]
    #6271734 - 11/11/06 11:40 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

The day Windows needs no Anti-Virus is the day fire rains down from the sky, and Satan takes reign upon the Earth.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Windows Vista So Secure, No Anti-virus Required?? [Re: Newbie]
    #6271882 - 11/11/06 12:28 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

NewbieShroomie said:
The day Windows needs no Anti-Virus is the day fire rains down from the sky, and Satan takes reign upon the Earth.

haha, windows will always be flawed, they can lie to themselves all they want

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Windows Vista So Secure, No Anti-virus Required?? [Re: Newbie]
    #6272045 - 11/11/06 01:25 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

The thing that makes Microsoft's grandiose claims about Vista security REALLY troubling is that Vista contains Microsoft's "PatchGuard Technology", a kernel architecture that prevents any software from modifying the kernel, including kernel-mode drivers used by anti-virus software vendors like McAfee and Symantec. This prevents viruses from modifying the kernel, but it also prevents anti-virus software from doing the same thing.

Now here's the funny part: during Vista's bata period, someone figured out how to modify the kernel anyway while it was paged out of physical memory. Microsoft quickly fixed the problem, but if history is any indication, that was just the first of many exploits to come. And without third-party anti-virus software developers cleaning up after Microsoft's mess...

--------------------
Republican Values:

3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #6272587 - 11/11/06 04:25 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

[slightly off-topic rant]what is it going to take to convince more people that free software is the way to go? if you don't have a need for exotic hardware or windows-only software, why keep dealing with these people?

software and media companies are pulled by various interests in a number of directions, almost all of which are hostile to your freedom, security, and privacy. unless you want your experiences with telecommunications and multimedia to be controlled by these organizations, switch to free software. [/slightly off-topic rant]

--------------------

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: Windows Vista So Secure, No Anti-virus Required?? [Re: wilshire]
    #6272648 - 11/11/06 04:38 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

A lot of people have a need for windows-only software!

Windows isn't perfect and I hate it sometimes, but all in all it's a good OS that functions fine. The only thing they need to make, is a version for advanced users without all the crap that is made for stupid people. I don't want my windows with a fucking search dog as default.

Bill Gates is the modern Robin Hood and he doesn't steal. Your money is in better hands if you buy Windoes than if you sleep at a Hilton hotel. This doesn't make windows any better though.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Windows Vista So Secure, No Anti-virus Required?? [Re: Annom]
    #6272902 - 11/11/06 05:39 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I don't want my windows with a fucking search dog as default.

Just a wild guess here, but I'm thinking you didn't care much for Microsoft Bob either?  :grin:

--------------------
Republican Values:

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#6273777 - 11/11/06 10:40 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

what is it going to take to convince more people that free software is the way to go? if you don't have a need for exotic hardware or windows-only software, why keep dealing with these people?

You just answered your own questions. People want exotic hardware and windows only software. I want directx 10 because software made with the api will be the best coolest stuff out there. Most computer-literate people will never get a virus on a windows PC, which makes me wonder why die-hard linux users are so worried about it. Its more important in server applications than just desktops, and I dont give a rats ass about that. I just want functionality and compatibility and I dont want to spend my valuable time getting it, thus I buy windows.

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
    #6273899 - 11/11/06 11:32 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I can just imagine the tech support operators...

"no, you must be mistaken. you can't have a virus on your Vista OS. We cannot offer you support. Goodbye"

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #6274206 - 11/12/06 02:35 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

The fundemental design in Windows is based off DOS, a single user operating system. Because of this flaw, Windows will never be able to escape the problem of computer virus'. To remove the flaw from windows would require a complete redesign in how windows works, and would destroy backwards compatability.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Windows Vista So Secure, No Anti-virus Required?? [Re: Seuss]
    #6274503 - 11/12/06 05:50 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

this article was pure comedy.

If it's so secure, then who cares about his son's computer - now if he said the entire DoD network was now running without any antivirus, that would catch my attention.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#6275008 - 11/12/06 11:01 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

The most interesting thing to see is if the anti-virus companies will sue over kernel patch protection. With OS security now a multi-billion dollar industry, this could set the stage for antitrust lawsuits over native security features in an OS. I think this will happen eventually, maybe not with vista but someday.

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #6282930 - 11/14/06 03:38 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

wilshire said:
[slightly off-topic rant]what is it going to take to convince more people that free software is the way to go? if you don't have a need for exotic hardware or windows-only software, why keep dealing with these people?

software and media companies are pulled by various interests in a number of directions, almost all of which are hostile to your freedom, security, and privacy. unless you want your experiences with telecommunications and multimedia to be controlled by these organizations, switch to free software. [/slightly off-topic rant]

Most people (i.e. non computer literate people) use windows-only software software more than any other. MSN messenger, macromedia flash, windows media player, etc...

And yes, there are FOSS alternatives, but for average Joe user, he doesn't want to use GAIM instead of MSN messenger, because GAIM doesn't support nudges, and winks, and background packs, and webcam viewing, and all the other tawdry shit microsoft builds into it. He needs native MP3 and AAC support out of the box, he needs the latest version of flash for surfing myspace and youtube.

You'd be amazed how much people care about irrelevent shit, or having to do two or three extra steps to do something.

I had a friend round who saw I was using firefox and asked "why the internet was different". I explained to them about FF, open source software, extensions, security, privacy, etc. Did that person start using firefox? No, because they liked to play an IE only webgame. That meant more to them that every advantage of firefox or any other FOSS browser.

This factor, which I coin the "irrelevent shit factor" or ISF, is the single biggest problem facing widespread FOSS adoption among average users IMO.

Invisiblei8an8th
Mrs.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Windows Vista So Secure, No Anti-virus Required?? [Re: OJK]
    #6283456 - 11/14/06 06:23 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I hate apples.. but must be nice not having to worry about many viruses..

--------------------
:sporedrop:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#6288654 - 11/16/06 06:39 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Just wait until his own son becomes a teen and starts using KaZaA and downloads software and wares to crack age verification systems of pr0n sites. My guess is on "hasta la Vista, Windows".

Microsoft also says people don't need Windows on CD because you can always system restore. Buahaha! Or, as I said to the helpdesk guy: "They're just making you say that, now tell me how to backup before I plug in my Internet" :grin:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
Re: Windows Vista So Secure, No Anti-virus Required?? [Re: Asante]
    #6288850 - 11/16/06 08:54 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
hasta la Vista, Windows

hahah

It will be a headline if (when..?) Vista fails

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #6297636 - 11/18/06 06:07 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Aw come on, are you telling me you don't trust your computer's security to this guy? Viruses will be too scared to come anywhere near your machine.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Windows Vista So Secure, No Anti-virus Required?? [Re: Ythan]
    #6298826 - 11/19/06 06:22 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I like that little dance he's got going there. :rofl2:

--------------------
Republican Values:

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #6300018 - 11/19/06 06:11 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

haha

DAMMIT

now there's some sweaty dude chanting DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS over and over in my head

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#6301991 - 11/20/06 08:22 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I love that Steve Ballmer video! It really gives you the idea your PC is in competent hands.

There's one thing even more alarming than this video and that's the  original footage which inspired it.
Makes a great Seroquel ad though :grin:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale