Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejashbery
Stranger
terrifying experience with damp-rid
    #6268904 - 11/10/06 01:08 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I've been using Damp-Rid to dry out my mushrooms using a two screen system - Damp Rid wrapped up in a paper towel on the bottom screen, shrooms a couple of inches on top on a larger screen. The water simply leaches down to the bottom of the closed bowl I'm using.

The other day, I picked up the Damp Rid packet, as it was soaking wet, and replaced it...within minutes, I had literally stopped breathing. My throat was constricted, I had to gulp in air, and I basically freaked out...I went outside, then ended up in the hospital as my heart was pounding like crazy and I was still having trouble breathing. Fortunately, these symptoms went away after about 30 minutes...I took some Benadryl, and then passed out.

I'd like to know if anyone else has had such an experience...it felt like an allergic reaction...and whether I should feel safe consuming the dried shrooms I have, none of which have touched the damp-rid, but still....
thanks,
jash

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGreen420Thang
FriendlyStranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: This Island Earth, Behind the ...
Re: terrifying experience with damp-rid [Re: jashbery]
    #6268916 - 11/10/06 01:12 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

WOW thats scary. Glad to hear your alright. I was thinking of using damp rid too.. may have to reconsider.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6268929 - 11/10/06 01:16 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Thats weird,I'm not sure what to say,what did they tell you at the hospital.I only used damp rid a few times and I never liked it,It makes the mushrooms taste strange,I don't know if its in my head or what cause I didn't let them tough it either but my fiancee said the same thing and she didn't even know I used it so I think its true.Either way I just fan dry now and I'm much happier,I personally either wouldn't eat them at all or eat a very small amount the 1st time you try them out and make sure you don't get sick just in case you are allergic

Offlinejashbery
Stranger
Re: terrifying experience with damp-rid [Re: Blutjager]
    #6268949 - 11/10/06 01:24 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

The people at the hospital said it sounded like an allergic reaction. I suspect I inhaled vapor from the tupperware bowl that contained chemicals (chlorine?) from the damp-rid that made me dizzy and lightheaded and made my throat constrict. The drag is that I had a very successful second grow, and hate to think it was all for nothing...

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Loc: So long stinktown
    #6268957 - 11/10/06 01:27 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Damprid is straight up sodium chloride. It's extremely salty in taste and is used commercially to make foods salty tasting in small amounts. You may have gotten a whif of some of it and its arid properties dried you up quick.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: terrifying experience with damp-rid [Re: zathan]
    #6268975 - 11/10/06 01:31 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

contact the company and complain.  maybe they'll send you a coupon for a discount on your next purchase. :smile:

joking aside though like mentioned its a generally harmless substance... it could have been dust from it that caused the reaction, probably not the chemical contents itself... i doubt there will be any problems consuming the mushrooms dried with it.

glad to hear you're ok now though, that does sound like a scary experience

OfflineShrm420
Stranger
    #6268988 - 11/10/06 01:35 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zathan said:
Damprid is straight up sodium chloride.

Calcium Chloride actually.

Offlinejashbery
Stranger
Re: terrifying experience with damp-rid [Re: creamcorn]
    #6268993 - 11/10/06 01:36 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks everyone...The Damp-Rid I have reads "Calcium Chloride," not "Sodium Chloride." It's the "chloride" part that made me think the chemicals had mixed in with the water and released a gasuous vapor (like chlorine) that knocked me out.

...and yeah, it was one of the scarier experiences I've had - apart from an accident a long time ago, I've never been in the hospital before, and never felt so totally out of control. I'm going to fan dry next time around just to be safe.
best,
jash

OfflineJorsher
Psychonaut
Male

Loc: Earth
    #6269011 - 11/10/06 01:43 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Well, if you consumed an anti-histimine (?) like benadryl you should be alright...but i'd be very cautious and if you do, make sure you have someone with you. My friend is allergic to cheese and eats a benedryl everytime she eats cheese :P Good luck and be careful! Good to hear you're alright

--------------------
5 shroom me!

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: terrifying experience with damp-rid [Re: Jorsher]
    #6269027 - 11/10/06 01:48 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I got one of those NESCO 4 tray dehydrators for $40 at WalMart... It works incredibly. I had the damprid all setup, and it just seemed like it wasn't working fast enough.

Glad you made it through! Hospitals usually suck.

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Re: terrifying experience with damp-rid [Re: Shrm420]
    #6269048 - 11/10/06 01:56 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Shrm420 said:
Quote:

zathan said:
Damprid is straight up sodium chloride.

Calcium Chloride actually.

Ah shit, yeah, that's what i meant. Sodium chloride's just table salt.

Offlinejashbery
Stranger
    #6269081 - 11/10/06 02:10 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Just found this on a health site, regarding allergic reactions to calcium chloride - it pretty much squares with my experience (I got the itching, shortness of breath, wheezing, swelling of tongue), and leads me to once again wonder whether I should throw out 25 grams of dried mushrooms  :banghead: even though they did not touch the damp rid:

"rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved."

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
    #6269116 - 11/10/06 02:21 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jashbery said:
Just found this on a health site, regarding allergic reactions to calcium chloride - it pretty much squares with my experience (I got the itching, shortness of breath, wheezing, swelling of tongue), and leads me to once again wonder whether I should throw out 25 grams of dried mushrooms  :banghead: even though they did not touch the damp rid:

"rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other symptoms involved."

You can probably rinse them before consuming them.

Offline81Renaissance
Mad Scientist
Male

#6269140 - 11/10/06 02:28 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I'm a certified EMT and it does indeed sound like an allergic reaction...the problem with keeping your grow is that you can't really "test" a small dose of your mushrooms as ingestion of an allergen will intensify the effects especially since it will be directly touching your throat...the last thing you want!
I guess there's a chance that the damp rid might not have tainted the actual shrooms but, why take the chance? Give em to some friends. Or if you must test them, take a little bit of a stem and powder it with a drop of water to make a kind of "shroom paste" and apply that to the inside of your forearm near the crease of your elbow. Wait a few hours after it dries and see if you notice any redness or swelling...a sure sign of your allergic reaction. If you don't have a reaction its possible that you might not have a problem with the mushrooms.

--------------------
"Every passing moment is another chance to turn it all around."

Offlinejashbery
Stranger
Re: terrifying experience with damp-rid [Re: 81Renaissance]
    #6269170 - 11/10/06 02:41 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Wow! Thanks Mad Scientist! I'll try out the forearm test, and then see what happens. I suppose making tea out of them might also lead to an allergic response, huh?

Offline81Renaissance
Mad Scientist
Male

#6269188 - 11/10/06 02:47 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, if you are allergic to a chemical compound present on the mushroom it'll just become aqueous in tea.

--------------------

Offline81Renaissance
Mad Scientist
Male

#6269296 - 11/10/06 03:17 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

PS...If you don't have a reaction, and do decide to consume them (which I can't advocate and take no responsibility for as I'm NOT a certified physician) please follow Zathan's advice and rinse them thoroughly. AND don't do a solo trip with those shrooms you need to have someone there who can drive you if you need medical assistance.

--------------------

OfflineBigBlazer8586
experiencedmycologist
 User Gallery
    #6269355 - 11/10/06 03:36 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I havent used damp rid before, but i did have trouble with big shrooms not drying all the way through even after days in front of a fan. I have found the best method for me is to cut them straight down the middle right after i pick them, dont cut them in half, but slice half-way into the stem all the way down, then fold them open. Yes it takes away from the nice look to them but i get cracker dry shrooms within 30 hours in front of a fan using this method. Glad to hear you are ok, just thought I would offer my suggestion.

--------------------
I am a very sick person. All information contained above this line is fiction. Its all made up bullshit from the inner recesses of my strange mind.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6269410 - 11/10/06 03:51 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zathan said:
Damprid is straight up sodium chloride.  It's extremely salty in taste and is used commercially to make foods salty tasting in small amounts.  You may have gotten a whif of some of it and its arid properties dried you up quick.

Now that you say that it was an awful salty taste to the mushrooms dried with the damp rid,I don't like the stuff at all :thumbdown:

OfflineEraserhead
Lost Soul
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: terrifying experience with damp-rid [Re: Blutjager]
    #6269933 - 11/10/06 06:46 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Damp rid just sucks, go with Ultra Pearls brand silica cat litter, it's FDA approved to be non-toxic for both pets and humans. Fragrance free as well.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds