Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Loc: 41.8861° N, 12.4851° E
Pride
    #6263071 - 11/08/06 07:39 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I read in a quote some time ago (I forget who it was by, but I will try my best to find it) but I've been thinking about it lately so I decided to post it here to see what you think.

Each time you march in a heritage pride parade, each time you wear a cross or hang a flag in your yard or in any way shape or form represent your beliefs within your lifestyle, even claiming that you belong to a faith or belief, you're sidelining yourself from all the other cultures of the world or you're singling yourself out and pushing others away without your knowing.

I'll try and search for the quote. Anybody know what it is, or who it may be by?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Pride [Re: lysergicide]
    #6263105 - 11/08/06 07:48 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I think the notion that expressing oneself in any manner seperates one from everyone else is ridiculuous. Clearly others may hold different perspectives and have reached different conclusions, but I do not think that reaching a conclusion or representing it equates to seperating oneself from everyone else.

:levitate:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
Re: Pride [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6263196 - 11/08/06 08:05 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Excellent topic. Just the other day I was passing a car on the freeway that had at least 10 religious bumper stickers on the back stating the drivers love for Jesus.

I immediately felt "seperate" from this person and even had to check out the driver as I passed to see who would make a statement in such a way.

As I started thinking about my reaction I couldn't decide if it was intolerence that made me react like that or if I just felt that they were forcing it down my throat.

I don't usually react that way when I see a parade or a religious symbol around someone's neck, I figure "to each their own". Maybe it's just a reaction to that particular issue having grown up in the South where the majority of people seem to be pretty close-minded about religious freedom/diversity and it's either their way or the highway...to Hell that makes me have such a strong reaction.

Still haven't figured it out......

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Re: Pride [Re: VirgilKane]
    #6263230 - 11/08/06 08:13 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Is pride really a necessary emotion to have?

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #6263233 - 11/08/06 08:14 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know the quote but I agree with the sentiment. My sister in law had given me an American flag and a flag pole for the front of the house for X-mas one year. She said everyone should have one and put it up on certain days. I was like, "Thanks Jean!" :confused:

I never did because, the idea doesn't feel comfortable to me. Honestly, when people start getting into genealogy and nationalities, I start thinking in terms of my or others galactic roots. :rofl2:

I think of myself as a citizen of the Universe more then I ever do just an American.

If I could make a flag of the pic in my sig, maybe I would fly that in the yard.:lol:

Really, I think people just like to feel a sense of belonging to something and thats cool and understandable. When I lived in the U.S.V.I. we use to make jokes about the Puerto Ricans coming in on the holidays with their Gas Guzzling Power Yachts flying these ridiculously over large Puerto Rican flags, playing Peurto Rican music at octave ten million. :lol:.

Talk about nationality pride, I think the Ricans have it hands down. :thumbup: They would take over the bars sound systems and DJ booths and just play Spanish salsa while they were there. :lol:

Maybe in this modern world where neighbors hardly know each other anymore, some sense of unity might be a good thing.

I have to admit this though. In the immediate days following 9/11 I had red,white, and blue ribbons tied to my trees and felt something powerful when I saw them on others trees and cars. You have to admit that the national pride people flew into at that time did bring a lot people closer together.

For me, it was about making a statement that said, "Hey, despite its flaws, I am grateful to live in this country and don't appreciate what some group just did to it and thousands of it's citizens." :frown:

If pride ever gets to an extreme where it starts making you feel like you are BETTER, then it doesn't serve anyone for the good of all anymore. To be proud of a piece of artwork you did, or test you aced and studied hard for, stuff like that I think is a healthy thing to allow yourself to feel.

Anyway, just as I saw the post header, I was thinking of the virtues of being humble. That always feel better then pride and its probably because there is no separation experienced when in a humble place, but there is when in a prideful one. When humble, there is no where to go but up. When prideful, there is no where to go but down. :lol:

Or, even if you are humbly proud of something (don't think you are any better because of what you are proud of)others who are insecure may feel like you are trying to put yourself above them and feel put off. Who needs the hassle.

Curious to see what others have to say on the proud flag wielding, religious icon sporting, belief/group member signs in your face, pride thing.

:heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Re: Pride [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #6263282 - 11/08/06 08:28 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I don't like representing my beliefs.

I don't like waving flags because I cannot feel at home with one country. I am the product of many cultures... I don't wish to be grounded.

I don't like representing religious beliefs neither. If you want to be technical, I don't follow any one religion. I find some truth and understanding in all religion and spiritual paths. When I meet new people, no matter what culture, I can always find myself relating to them. I always feel on their level.

I guess I'm the product of the world. I don't ever want to sponsor any one belief over another. By hanging up a pride saying I'm proud from a place that I didn't choose to be born in, when I put a bindi on my forehead or wear a cross necklace to represent my culture or religious beliefs, I feel that in a way I'm making some kind of statement to others.

I am a human being. Nothing more, nothing less.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #6263391 - 11/08/06 08:58 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

pride is nothing to be proud of~

--------------------

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Re: Pride [Re: deff]
    #6263405 - 11/08/06 09:01 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

deff said:
pride is nothing to be proud of~

I hear ya.  :thumbup:

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Pride [Re: deff]
    #6263457 - 11/08/06 09:20 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Holy shit, where've you been? I JUST mentioned you in another post not more then an hour ago.

Damn you freak me out:lol: Months back I was wondering where you were and minutes later , you put a reply up.

I must have you on pyschic speed dial or something :lol:

Nice to see you around. :cool:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #6263651 - 11/08/06 10:20 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not proud and proud of it. :scrambled:

No pride needed. Being satisfied is good enough. :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #6264213 - 11/09/06 04:33 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Pride which is used to identify one as part of a cultural group, religion, or vocation is the accepting of norms and standards determined by other people without your input on the matter. This indicates that you are not thinking for yourself, but using predetermined thought patterns to avoid deciding who you want to be. It is so much easier to let other people determine the modes of existence for you instead of exerting a little free will and exercising your freedom. It is my opinion that freedom that is not exercised atrophies.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineFatBath
Turtle Wannabe
Re: Pride [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #6264622 - 11/09/06 08:58 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Who needs pride when you have honor and integrity? Now, I'm not necessarily laying claim to either of those qualities, but it seems that they would make pride obsolete.

I possess more a form of shame that mascarades as pride. I wonder how other people's pride is interconnected with their sense of shame? I used to try to express my religious views because I let dogma get under my skin and scare me, but people don't want to hear it, and all I did was disgrace myself and further drive myself deeper into hypocrisy. Quite condtradictary to the intellectual and humanitarian unity I was trying to preach and get accross. It's sorry thing to feel obligated to be a "priest".

In any case, I can't wait to stop talking so loud. Quiet indifference, sounds very tasty to me.

Edited by FatBath (11/09/06 09:01 AM)

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Pride [Re: FatBath]
    #6264812 - 11/09/06 10:10 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Pride cummeth before the fall. Then comes winter and spring. :laugh: :thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Pride [Re: Icelander]
    #6264955 - 11/09/06 10:54 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

my arm is on my hip already!

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: Pride [Re: redgreenvines]
    #6265306 - 11/09/06 12:30 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Pride is with the lie. No need for that.
:finger:
:lol:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #6265895 - 11/09/06 03:17 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Heya jiggy  :grin:  :laugh:

Long time no see~  :sun:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Pride [Re: FatBath]
    #6265980 - 11/09/06 03:47 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Integrity is real. Honor is an illusion.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineFatBath
Turtle Wannabe
    #6266847 - 11/09/06 07:55 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Integrity is real. Honor is an illusion.

(Oh Yeah) Always made sense to me, never aknowleged, however.

I had a thought on the way over that delusion is a theif's self-inflicted wound from his/her misuse of 'borrowed' allusions. Of course I would claim that what is, is all there is, and they've said it before, and they'll say it again. Now having confused myself I wouldn't mind ceasing to integrate disclaimers in all that I post, get away from myself and contribute more objectively.

"Whatever it takes to get out of this place. Whatever it takes to hide what's inside. Hell, I'd sell my own soul for a piece of the pride." (sic) (??)

Edited by FatBath (11/09/06 07:57 PM)

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #6268464 - 11/10/06 09:59 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

To be honored may not be a bad thing as it comes from outside. But if this honor doesn't stick with honesty, yes then honor is an illusion.
There is no adverb for pride. You can not be prouded by someone, hehe. And to made proud by someone is different than to be honored by someone, as far as I see (internal vs external cause).
So overboard with that and yes, join integrity and recognize ones value (not importance) in every aspect. :thumbup:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom