Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
The Vision - a book overview
    #624685 - 05/02/02 07:01 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Am reading "The Vision" by Tom Brown Jr., America's foremost tracker. It chronicles his path as a white boy growing up in New Jersey, who is taken under the wing of a Indian Shaman. It is an intriguiging and well-written account about how he got in touch with mother-earth and became one of the best outdoorsman / survivalists on the planet. The book is very much about ecology and taking care of the planet in a realistic way.

One of the main focuses in the book is that of the Vision Quest; something I have yet to do. It takes much preparation, but in a nutshell is 4 days spent alone and naked in the wilderness, with nothing but water. Sleep is to be avoided if possible. So are grand vistas. A closed-in area with little visual stimulus is best. Apparently the mind goes crazy trying to find some distraction, but eventually gives up; then the vision may appear.

On several occassions he touches on the skeptic / believer issue and asks why modern man can't accept or get in touch with the spiritual side of ourselves. Well, the answer is obvious. None of us have had the direct personal tutelage for 15 years from a genuine Medicine Man. It is funny to me the number of autobiographical books from Carlos Castandea to Lynn Adams to Dan Millman, et al, who all say the same thing. They all had extensive contact with (alleged) Masters; yet tell the reader that no teacher is necessary.

Maybe not, but I have yet to see someone who can make lightning in a clear sky nor turn fire smoke into a tornado. Perhaps then I would not be so doubting.

Anyway, I highly receommend this book to all. It is more grounded and less wacky than "The Flowers of Wiricuta" (also a good read) about a gringo studying under the Huichol Indians following the peyote way.

Damn! That Swami sure is close-minded!

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (05/03/02 10:13 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
Re: The Vision - a book overview [Re: Swami]
    #625584 - 05/03/02 09:28 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I've never read this book....sounds interesting......I understand the concept of the "Vision Quest" but to get insights it isn't necessary to go completely into the wilderness. All you have to do is pull away from your normal routine and focus inward.

I've found that if you have hard physical exercise, (after resting well), pull away from all people and shut yourself in, then eat if you feel like it, then maybe some music until you just almost "burn out" on it......this opens you to just you. It allows you to focus on what the "next step" is.....

I've found that I NEVER get big insights or see, or sense, big things or concepts. It's always a series of little increments.

Its just that after you do this for a while, the increments come faster and faster until to the outsider, I seem to have this flood of information.

Come to think of it.....when I move on to the next tiny increment....it seems like the most "logical" thing I could possiblly do......never thought of it that way before.....thanks!

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #626009 - 05/03/02 07:34 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

One of the main focuses in the book is that of the Vision Quest; something I have yet to do. It takes much preparation, but in a nutshell is 4 days spent alone and naked in the wilderness, with nothing but water. Sleep is to be avoided if possible. So are grand vistas. A closed-in area with little visual stimulus is best. Apparently the mind goes crazy trying to find some distraction, but eventually gives up; then the vision may appear.

I've read a bit about this. If it goes into alot of detail, I'll check it out (for re-creation purposes...).

They all had extensive contact with (alleged) Masters; yet tell the reader that no teacher is necessary.

Yeah, that bugs the fuck out of me, too. I couldn't find a living master, so I adopted dead ones. They work for me (William James taught me that).

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Anonymous

#626052 - 05/03/02 08:20 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

4 days spent alone and naked in the wilderness, with nothing but water. Sleep is to be avoided if possible. So are grand vistas. A closed-in area with little visual stimulus is best. Apparently the mind goes crazy trying to find some distraction, but eventually gives up...

Quite similar to some 'brain washing' techniques.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale