Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemanny
Stranger
Freshness? First time user - Help!
    #625215 - 05/02/02 09:56 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

About 3 weeks ago, a friend of mine bought an eighth worth of stems and caps. She held them for about 2 weeks - stored within an air tight Ziploc plastic bag and placed them within the freezer. About a week ago I drove up to see my friend and picked them up. I live about 6 hours away and during my drive back, I placed the baggie within the glove compartment of my car. I was concerned about the temperature change and lack of air but figured the best I could do was get home as quickly as possible. Right after getting home I placed them within the freezer and haven't touched them until today. Upon opening the baggie, I noticed a fowl smell. The stems and caps were black/grayish in color and seemed to have some slight mold growing on them. I know shrooms normally smell bad, but this was enough to make me gag. I'm not sure if they can go bad, or if they are even salvageable. Because shrooms are supposed to be fungus, I'm not sure if there is such a thing as fungus growing on fungus. I'm hoping you can shed some light on this one for me, basically I'd like to know if these are salvageable or whether I should throw them away. If salvageable, what steps would you suggest taking to make them eatable. While I know its hard to say because your not seeing them, I'm hoping you've seen or heard of similar experiences that can shed some light on the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Edited by manny (05/03/02 02:03 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Freshness? First time user - Help! [Re: manny]
    #625482 - 05/03/02 06:16 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Where they fresh or dried when frozen?Even if they were dry, maybe they weren't dry enough. If shrooms are completely dry then and only then may they be frozen. Never freeze fresh shrooms. They turn to blackish sludge when you defrost them. There is no way I'm aware of to make them edible.

More importantly, if they smell foul... throw them out.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Freshness? First time user - Help! [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #625587 - 05/03/02 11:34 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

> Never freeze fresh shrooms. They turn to blackish sludge when you defrost them. There is no way I'm aware of to make them edible.

The only thing I have found that works well when this has happened is to suck them down when they are still mostly frozen like frozen slugs. This of course wont work if you have already thawed them out. The blackish sludge is an extreme form of blue bruising. When you slow freeze a shroom the cells inside the shroom grind each other up as the ice expands. When it thaws, the entire shroom bruises at once both inside and out.

If they smell foul the fruit is probably starting to rot... I would throw them out.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Freshness? First time user - Help! [Re: Seuss]
    #625809 - 05/03/02 04:51 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

LOL! That may work for you but there's no way I'm suckin down black sludge, even if they are shrooms!

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Freshness? First time user - Help! [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #626133 - 05/10/02 08:33 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

One thing you can do, and it does work if you do it right, is to do an extraction from a fresh-frozen shroom as it is thawing. The expanding ice crystals have lysed the fungal cell walls [a tough thing to do, even for our digestive tract]. So, for example, if you allow a fresh-frozen fruit to thaw out in acid-alcohol/honey etc. you'll get a better extraction than just using plain dried [or fresh] fruits. The key is to allow it to thaw within the solvent itself; letting it sit in open air at this point really speeds up oxidation, with the cell membranes compromised and the tissue wet.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum