Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Amazon Balloons, Cracker, DXM, Nitrous Oxide, Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Online Calculator Tells Teens How To Get High
    #6241409 - 11/02/06 11:13 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/wlwt/20061101/lo_wlwt/10205541

Online Calculator Tells Teens How To Get High

Wed Nov 1, 2:58 PM ET

It's not the kind of information resource most parents would like on the Internet -- Web sites telling teens how much cold medication they need to take to get high.

As the mother of a 14-year-old, Karen Vignale said she knows temptations are everywhere.

"We have plenty of cold medicines -- Sudafed, Robitussin, things like that," she said.

But over-the-counter cold medications containing dextromethorphan, or DXM, are being abused, with specific instructions on the 'Net for teens looking for a buzz.

"This person probably has no idea what they're talking about from a safety standpoint, and they're putting a lot of children at risk," poison control expert Jerry Wiesenhahn said.

The risk isn't just from the DXM: Other ingredients in the medicines can be dangerous when taken in large amounts. Even some of the Web sites warn -- in very small print -- that taking to much cold medicine can be fatal.

"Someone who took that much would be setting themselves up for some really serious medical problems. We're talking a trip to the emergency room. We're talking potentially life-threatening consequences," Wiesenhahn said.

Vignale uses special software to limit her children's computer access and to check which Web sites they're browsing. She admitted such attention can be time-consuming -- but also said it could be life-saving.

"If you have teenagers, I think it's your responsibility to watch very closely what they do," Vignale said.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegooddrugguy
Male

Loc: Subjectiville
Re: Online Calculator Tells Teens How To Get High [Re: motaman]
    #6241643 - 11/03/06 12:05 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

"This person probably has no idea what they're talking about from a safety standpoint, and they're putting a lot of children at risk," poison control expert Jerry Wiesenhahn said.

The risk isn't just from the DXM: Other ingredients in the medicines can be dangerous when taken in large amounts. Even some of the Web sites warn -- in very small print -- that taking to much cold medicine can be fatal.

Thats bullshit. Those websites instruct kids how to do it safely what they are going to do anyway. They do much more good than harm, and it is just another example of ignorance over education being promoted.

OfflineGrogan
Shroomieologist
 User Gallery

Re: Online Calculator Tells Teens How To Get High [Re: gooddrugguy]
    #6241804 - 11/03/06 12:53 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

IF kids are going to do it they need to be well informed in SIMPLE terms, talk about grams to ml's and all kinda conversions.. pshh need a simple table.. for weight etc.. and say START HERE..

and ONLY TAKE THIS OR U DIE.. lol even if u dont
safe info over no info or patched together trash

--------------------
"Maybe a cow occasionally ate a shroom, but it certainly wouldn't be such a potent shroom that the cow would be trippin balls. " LOL

OfflineSDP
ChronicAficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Online Calculator Tells Teens How To Get High [Re: Grogan]
    #6242545 - 11/03/06 08:54 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

^^ :thumbup:  Having the calculator around isn't going to make more kids try it (maybe a negligible amount) its going to bring kids already wanting to try it and already researching "DXM" to find it, and get an easy to use tool as to not OD or just take 3 packages of deadly triple c... :rolleyes:

--------------------
Teonanacatl, open up my eyes
This sacrament, this prayer, beyond the world of lies
Guide me clearly through that which I dont understand
Give me strength to find the path
Help me fight any demons as you flow through me wholely
This is my prayer, that you protect me from evil, and bring me closer to peace
And open up my eyes, so i can see things as you do
Amen

OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

Re: Online Calculator Tells Teens How To Get High [Re: SDP]
    #6242695 - 11/03/06 10:19 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Why would they use small print to mention cold medication could kill you?

If they didn't want you to know why would they tell you at all? Haha... conspiracy theorists...

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

Re: Online Calculator Tells Teens How To Get High [Re: ExplosiveMango]
    #6242732 - 11/03/06 10:42 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

real smart, attack the legitimate informational websites. Because if parents dont see it on the internet it must not exist.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

Re: Online Calculator Tells Teens How To Get High [Re: Primate]
    #6242859 - 11/03/06 11:33 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Let's shut down erowid and there small print warnings! Screw that full list of cold medicines NOT to take any more than the recommended dose that saved me from over dosing! That damn internet is at it again!

--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

Offlinetheduke
Metal Mushie
Male

Loc: Middle of Nowhere
Re: Online Calculator Tells Teens How To Get High [Re: beatnicknick]
    #6243180 - 11/03/06 01:13 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Well, there are alot of sites that misinform, and with the ingredients in some cough medicines misinformation has the potential to be lethal.  However, raising a cry against all drug information sites is foolish.  Information is free, and if a kid comes across it, it's because he was looking for it.  It's okay though, parents are notorious for evading responsibility.  :rolleyes:

OfflineIndo_Toker420
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Online Calculator Tells Teens How To Get High [Re: theduke]
    #6243648 - 11/03/06 03:11 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

But over-the-counter cold medications containing dextromethorphan, or DXM, are being abused, with specific instructions on the 'Net for teens looking for a buzz.

DXM isn't just a buzz, I know alot of people who use it for that. But if you take it with the spiritual aspect in mind you can go places and experience things that no other chemical can deliver.

--------------------
Do what thou wilt.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Online Calculator Tells Teens How To Get High [Re: Indo_Toker420]
    #6245542 - 11/04/06 01:22 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Not really. Anything DXM can do, ketamine can do better.

Not that I don't love all dissociatives. Nitrous, DXM, ketamine, salvia, they're all unique in their own ways. But the realizations you can attain on DXM are, in my experience, attained in a more purely intoxicated state on ketamine with less negative side effects.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinefrostbitten
Strange
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Online Calculator Tells Teens How To Get High [Re: motaman]
    #6248343 - 11/04/06 10:36 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I used it last night. It gave me a slight overdose and I became somewhat delusional and couldnt remember almost anything. Despite being a lightweight. I had hoped that the weight measurement would have been more helpful.

--------------------
my.web dev

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Amazon Balloons, Cracker, DXM, Nitrous Oxide, Salvia

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service