Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebluefoot
journeyman

Loc: Mother Earth
Cakes blueing even before first flush?!?!
    #622840 - 04/30/02 02:21 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I understand how and why cakes blue once they're getting close to spent, but my cakes have been birthed for 9 days and they're already getting blue splotches on their upper edges. I cold shocked them with a 10 degree drop for 6 hours two days ago and I HAVEN"T SEEN ONE DAMN PIN! I know blueing can happen, but I've never read any post about it happening before the first flush. They are typical PF style cakes, one B+ and one Thailand, and both birthed 3 days after COMPLETE colonization. They looked great with plenty of nice, fluffy mycelium on them until I cold shocked them and now most of the fluffy nycelium has matted down and there's blueing on the upper edges of both of them. They've been kept at ~90 RF and ~71 deg and I even cased them a la PF Tek double ended method yesterday.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!?! I'm frustrated as fuck and don't know what to do. Should I dunk them for 12 hours? ANY input would be greatly appreciated.

peace
bluefoot

--------------------
peace
bluefoot

"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: Cakes blueing even before first flush?!?! [Re: bluefoot]
    #623046 - 04/30/02 09:43 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Set them on a tray of wet vermiculite.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #623047 - 04/30/02 09:43 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Blueing is also seen when the mycelium starts to dry out. (The opposite of the yellow you see when it gets too wet.) My friend hasn't grown cakes in a long time, but isn't 90% RH a bit low for cakes. Also, nine days isn't that long for pins from what my friend can remember... it has been a while since she grew cakes though.

Unless somebody more experienced has a better idea, I would raise the RH by about 5% and give them a bit more time before you start messing with them. The last time my friend grew B+ it seemed to take a bit longer to pin (though that was on a casing, not a cake).

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Anonymous

#623257 - 04/30/02 01:07 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Bluefoot- you need to go smoke a spliff (if you haven't already) to chill out.

first:when I birthed my first set of cakes I got blue around the edges..... I am guessing you did or of two things: 1 when you birthed them from the jars they were hard to get out and you had to bang a few times...if you did thats what caused the blueing.....if not you prolly got your mixing off alittle( - did you maybe mix BRF/verm/water all together when you made your jars ?...if you did try mixing water and BRF mix it a bit then add the verm it works wonders in my limited experiance.) if thats the case they are prolly alittle dry... try using the straw method-when done right works wonders...alot of time first time ppl dont put enough water...the cakes need to be moist.

I am alittle confused by your timetable and what you did.

If you cased them a day after you birthed them then you should wait at least 2 weeks before you start getting frustrated.... i personal enjoy this hobby and try and put as much TLC as i can into my kids... I have waited 3 weeks for a crippled cake to recover and just start to pin.....

also if you didn't case the cakes then the RH needs to be higher like 90+ to start pinning.... after they have pinned the RH can go down and it wont be a big deal. personally I don't like cold shock prolly cuz I haven't really seen all that much on my kids...however I have seen it work really good when a friend did it.....

anyway my point is try not to get frustrated after only waiting 9 days..... just cuz you haven't seen growth doesn't mean it isn't growing.... try going away for the weekend... or spend a day with out looking at them 1000 times...and it will prolly go faster..don't worry if there isn't contams your still in business
-peace

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #623267 - 04/30/02 01:35 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

"I understand how and why cakes blue once they're getting close to spent"

really? then care to explain it to me, i've been interested in this.

Also, is coldshocking really nessasary to produce pins?

InvisibleWakingUpLate
addict
Loc: Born on a mountain, Raise...
Re: Cakes blueing even before first flush?!?! [Re: ]
    #623368 - 04/30/02 04:08 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

"try mixing water and BRF mix it a bit then add the verm "

This is quite backwards. It will cause lumps of flower in the mix.
The correct procedure is to: Mix the water and verm, then add
the flower. That way each little peice of verm is coated in the
flour.
Bluefoot, bluing on early cakes is usually where you touched
them and bruised them. But nine days is a long time for it to
take for that to occur. I have seen the bruises show up two
days after they were touched, but not nine.
My guess would be they're drying out. Humidity should be 95+
Hope that helps
:peace:

Free Spore Ring

--------------------
The rest of those, who have gone before us,
cannot settle the unrest of those who follow.
(Finding Forrester)

Offlinecujo7999
Space Monkey

Loc: USA; Home of "The Man"
Re: Cakes blueing even before first flush?!?! [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #623386 - 04/30/02 04:22 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

from what i've learned cold shock is not required but it is fairly safe if done in a bag or something. It tells the whole cake to pin when temps rise. Think about it as the mushroom's internal clock; in nature tempuature varies with the time of day.. They time up their pinning with the morning (i'd assume) so that all the pins form in a shorter period of time. This may help shorten growing time though not by any major amount.

--------------------
*This is all Fiction by the Way*

Offlinebluefoot
journeyman

Loc: Mother Earth
Re: Cakes blueing even before first flush?!?! [Re: cujo7999]
    #624077 - 05/01/02 01:24 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Well, thanks for everyone's input. I took the advice of several of you. First it started with a REALLY big fatty -- flat out leveled myself and two friends. Then I dunked the cake that was blueing the most(after I woke up a few hours later), which soaked up quite a bit of water might I say, and now I'm going to just chill the fuck out and not think about that one cake for a while. I've done several cakes before, but never have I had them bruise where I didn't even touch them, let alone after 9 days. I guess that one damn B+ had some kind of power over me, but now I'm better. Anyways, I'll update this post with some pics once the situation develops a bit more. Here's wishing everyone who's flying tonight a mind-blowing trip. Me and a few amanitas have a meeting scheduled for later on tonight...

peace
bluefoot

--------------------
peace
bluefoot

"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn

Offlinecantankerous

Loc: hidden in your terrarium
    #624110 - 05/01/02 02:10 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Bluefoot,

just my two cents: i have run into this problem with a cake that wasn't blue then after about a week started getting blue. so it wasnt from bruising. then i started to mist the cake about twice daily and after a few days the blue went away. several days later ( still misting) it started to form primordial knots. your cake is dry. mist it or dunk it. then wait. I was patient with that particular cake for three and a half weeks. good luck

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom