Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDrcircuits
Male
Loc: UK
PF tek using plastic trays/containers...
    #6234241 - 11/01/06 10:48 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

or is that stupid?  :rolleyes:

Ive got quite a few of these plastic containers and no shoulderless jars so i thought why not use this for the PF Tek, it would just be a different shape and also would also have a bigger suface area (maybe).
Has anyone done this?

Edited by prime (11/01/06 10:48 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinefeza4
Stranger

Re: PF tek using plastic trays/containers... [Re: Drcircuits]
    #6234290 - 11/01/06 11:07 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I personally think its not the best course of action. Not trying to be a dick with your plans just hear me out. Looks quiet a bit larger than the 1/2 pint containers used in the pf tek, and if this is your fist time growing, (It's my first time actually just inoculated a couple jars and there working magic now) contam will be hard enough to control in the smaller containers. Besides... how would you keep it sterile. Is it safe/possible to pressure cook a plastic container to sterile-enough conditions?? Overall doesnt seen feasible. For 10$ I think its worth it to get the right containers for the process. Keep in mind I'm really not trying to be a giant penis and bust all over your idea... just giving you all the other aspects of using it. Yea its larger which would be awesome... but the initial growth will be a bitch to keep clean and contam free.

Offlinefeza4
Stranger

Re: PF tek using plastic trays/containers... [Re: feza4]
    #6234295 - 11/01/06 11:09 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

But that seems like a perfect spawning container. Probably the perfect size for one cake and a spawning substrate. Havent found a substrate I feel comfortable spawning to yet so that info would probably be more valueble coming from an older member of this website with more insight than me. And that goes for my last post as well.

OfflineDrcircuits
Male
    #6234316 - 11/01/06 11:19 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

ok, cheers for the input. tbh i just thought of doing this just now. canning jars are like gold dust in the uk it seems, so i'm just looking for alternative ways. These are microwavable so i think they should be ok in the PC.

Yeh Im on my first grow at the moment (using drinking glasses) i inoculated on the 19th and nearly all done now with 0% contams up to now.

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #6234323 - 11/01/06 11:20 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

These are microwavable so i think they should be ok in the PC

I doubt they are "microwavable" for the 60-90 minutes they need to be at 250 degrees! :smile:

Offlineoutlawimmortal
the originaloutlaw
Male
    #6234328 - 11/01/06 11:21 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i wouldn't use those containers for the PF tek.

i see that you live in the UK (so do i) and i know first hand how hard it is to find canning jars. your best bet is to go to sainsburys or tescos and see if they do their own brand of "bon maman french jam". the containers are perfect. if they don't do their own brand then just buy "bon maman jam" and put the jam into a different container.

hmmm not sure if what i just said made sense but feel free to PM me if you want any advice.

--------------------
...i just got thrown out of a bakery for asking if they sold lambs bread

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6234345 - 11/01/06 11:25 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

see on the bottom right hand corner of the lid, the triangle recyclable logo?  what's it say?

if its #5, with a "PP" underneath, it can survive the PC.  otherwise, probably not.

but that is all besides the point, the container is too big for a pf cake.  it will take quite a long while to colonize and chances are high something else will go wrong while you're waiting for it... either drying, contamination, etc.  The center is also likely to end up too compact, go anaerobic, and not be penetrable by mycelium (but be a playground for bacteria.)

If you're going to substitute some sort of plastic containers, look for something in the half pint to pint range (that's 237 to 473mL in the UK :smile:) and preferably something with a rounder shape, so that mycelium doesn't have to work its way too terribly far from the inoculation points... and of course that recycling logo, you want the PP plastic so that it can withstand sterilization temps.

drinking glasses with foil lids, are also suitable alternatives, is already described in some of the teks, and used by many over the years. :thumbup:

Offlinefeza4
Stranger

#6234349 - 11/01/06 11:26 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yea... the temps reached in the PC along with the time it will be in there will certainly exceed the specs of heat in the microwave for a couple minutes.

Wait a minute... I was originally under the impression you were innoculating in these. Why would you need the jars if the glasses are already inoculated anyway. Are you bulking to these plastic containers?

OfflineDrcircuits
Male
    #6234352 - 11/01/06 11:28 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

No, sorry for any confusion. I simply want to inoculate some more substrate (make more cakes) i have no suitable glasses left.

OfflineDrcircuits
Male
Re: PF tek using plastic trays/containers... [Re: creamcorn]
    #6234368 - 11/01/06 11:31 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, they have the PP and a number 5 underneath.
I have some drinking glasses with foil inculating now. I'll probably get more glasses like these then.

Offlineoutlawimmortal
the originaloutlaw
Male
    #6234381 - 11/01/06 11:35 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

if you have an asda near you look at their tupperware containers. the half pint ones were only 35p each. brought 12 of them for my first grow :smile:

--------------------
...i just got thrown out of a bakery for asking if they sold lambs bread

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds