Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinerockytop83
Ornoth/Myc/ologist

Loc: Rocky-lachians
venison... mmm mmm
    #6219371 - 10/27/06 09:32 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Hey all, Ive been around the shroomery for a while but never posted in this forum, although I do love to cook and do it for a living (nothing too fancy). Anyway, I shot a little button buck Wednesday and wanted to share a few new (to me) recipes.

First, for anyone who butchers their own deer, when it comes to the front legs there's not a whole lot that can be done with them (especially for myself because I haven't invested in a meat grinder yet).
What I did with my recent button bucks front legs was cut up the meat around the shoulder into jerky and then I took the meat from the forearm (not really the forearm but the little strips of muscle below the shoulder) and sliced it into thin sheets against the grain. The pieces of meat were about the size of a quarter. I seasoned these strips of meat with a generous amount of ground pepper and garlic salt, and fried until medium rare. Then I let the meat cool on top of a paper towel (so most of the grease drains). Get a pita, some lettuce, and a little bit of Italian dressing and you have one hell of a sandwich.

And the venison stew I made tonight:
1lb. venison stew meat
2 potatoes
1 carrot
1 piece celery
1 yellow onion
half bag peas
6oz freshly diced tomatoes
6oz catsup
2tsp pepper
2tsp seasoned garlic salt
water
1/5 cup flour
1/5 cup water

Add meat, veggies, seasoning, catsup, and enough water to nearly cover. I like to cut my potatoes and onions in bigger chunks, and chop my carrots and celery into 1/4in. pieces. Stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat to medium and cover. Let simmer for about 30mins. Combine the last 1/5 cup flour and 1/5 cup water, stir well. Add some of the juice from your stew to this roux and stir well (so that its not too lumpy when you add into the stew). Then add the roux into the stew and simmer an additional 15-20 mins.

Both these recipes are delicious and simple. And Id love to hear any new ideas for cooking game, especially venison. Ive got a ham that I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with yet, anyone got any suggestions?

Now I have a question for someone in here that may be more experienced in canning than I am. I'm going to shoot another deer tomorrow and need to save SOME space in the freezer for my roommates. So I'm interested in canning some deer meat because I have a pressure cooker (of course) and all of these quart jars laying around. How do you do it?

--------------------

~You know that same rowdy crowd was here last night is back again~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: venison... mmm mmm [Re: rockytop83]
    #6219376 - 10/27/06 09:34 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

sounds good!

im not a fan of venison due to the sweet meat (it just doesnt go well with me?), but if its in a soup or stew its tolerable.

venison jerky is said to be great though

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: venison... mmm mmm [Re: CptnGarden]
    #6219677 - 10/27/06 11:27 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

CANNING DEER AND OTHER MEATS"

Do not use open-kettle canning method for meat. Use a modern, good quality pressure cooker, designed for canning, and capable of reaching and holding the pressures listed.
The method I use is my own and works for me. I make no representation as to it’s safety or suitability beyond the fact that it does work well for me. I assume no responsibility or liability for accident, illness, or injury resulting from use or misuse of these instructions.
Rules:
1) Always use clean boiled CANNING JARS (no mayonnaise, pickle or mustard jars.)
2) Always use new, boiled, lids, designed for the jars you are using.
3) Always be sure your meat is clean, fresh, and safe.
4) Always use a pressure caner for canning meat.
5) Always process jars at least as long as the times given, at or above the pressures listed.
6) Never process meat using these instructions at over 4,000 feet above sea level.
7) Never use any canned product if seal is broken, lid is bulged, lid is rusted, or if there is any doubt as to it’s safety.
8) Never cut corners.
9) Never place frozen meat in jars. Meat can be cold but not frozen; jars will crack.
10) Never use damaged or chipped jars.
Raw Pack:
Deer meat chunks: place in wide-mouth quart jars, force air out with wooden spoon, and fill to within 1 and 1½”of top of jar (just below shoulder) pour in 1teaspoon salt, if desired, clean rim, place lid, gently tighten rim.
Deer spareribs:
leave all meat on ribs, chop into 2-3” squares, place in jars same as meat chunks, except, top with 1 tablespoon sausage Seasoning. Clean rim. Place lid on jar. Deer Sausage: season and grind sausage to taste, roll into 2” balls, drop in jars, press in with wooden spoon to force out air, fill to within 1 and ½” of rim. Clean rim. Place lid on jar. Deer burger: same as above.
Deer-n-pig:
my favorite! Cut deer tenderloin (back-strap) and fresh pork tenderloin or lean fresh pork butt, into 2” cubes, place in jars as above, add 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon rubbed sage, Clean rim, place lid on jar.
Do not add any liquid to raw-pack…. When a canner load of jars is full place in canner, with hot (not boiling) water. Boiling water will crack jars when cold.
Increase heat until canner is at a rolling boil, then place lid, and set pressure. Use 10 psi up to 2,000 feet, 15 psi 2,000 to 4,000 feet. When canner reaches set pressure, start timing, hold at or above pressure for 90 minutes, or more. Longer times or higher pressure will cause sparerib bones to become cooked and “chalky”.
Dressed, Scaled Fish , or fish fillets:
same as Deer meat chunks.
Dove Breast; same as deer meat chunks.
Hot pack:
Squirrel, rabbit, or chicken: Smoke whole dressed squirrels until done, cut into pieces and remove ribs, place in jars as tightly as possible, with 1 and ½” headspace, and cover with boiling beef bullion, clean rim, place lids on jars. Meat Stew: fill jars with stew to within 1 and ½” of rim, clean rim, place lids on jars.
Deer meat chunks:
cook meat in salted water until fork-tender, place in jars, within 1 and ½” of rim, cover with broth, clean rims, place lids on jars.
Sausage patties:
Fry sausage patties, until done thru, drain grease, place in jars within 1 and 1/2” of rim, cover with beef bullion, clean rims and place lids on jars.
Place hot-pack jars in boiling water in canner, and return to a boil, place lid on canner, and process at least 60 minutes at 10 psi at up to 2,000 feet; 15 psi 2,000 to 4,000 feet
Hope this helps.
Here is some from the USDA
MEAT GROUND OR CHOPPED (Beef, Bear, Lamb, Pork, Sausage, Veal, Venison)
Back to Table of Contents for Section 5

Procedure: Choose fresh, chilled meat. With venison, add one part high-quality pork fat to three or four parts venison before grinding. Use freshly made sausage, seasoned with salt and cayenne pepper (sage may cause a bitter off-flavor). Shape chopped meat into patties or balls or cut cased sausage into 3 to 4 inch links. Cook until lightly browned. Ground meat maybe sautŽed without shaping. Remove excess fat. Fill jars with pieces. Add boiling meat broth, tomato juice, or water, leaving 1 inch headspace. Add 1 teaspoon of salt per quart to the jars, if desired. Adjust lids and process.
Recommended Processes
1) Dial-gauge Pressure Canner
Pints—75 minutes 11 PSI Quarts—90 minutes 11 PSI

2) Weighted-gauge Pressure Canner
Pints—75 minutes 15 PSI Quarts—90 minutes 15 PSI

MEAT, STRIPS, CUBES, OR CHUNKS (Bear, Beef, Lamb, Pork, Veal, Venison)

Procedure: Choose quality chilled meat. Remove excess fat. Soak strong-flavored game for 1 hour in brine water containing 1 tablespoon of salt per quart and rinse. Remove large bones. Cut into 1 inch wide strips, cubes or chunks.
Hot Pack: Precook meat until rare by roasting, stewing, or browning in a small amount of fat. Add 1 teaspoon of salt per quart to the jar, if desired. Fill jars with pieces and add boiling broth, meat drippings, water, or tomato juice (especially with wild game) leaving 1 inch headspace.
Raw Pack: Add 1 teaspoon of salt per quart to the jar, if desired. Fill jars with raw meat pieces, leaving 1 inch headspace. Do not add liquid. Adjust lids and process.
Recommended Processes (Hot and Raw Pack)
Pints—75 minutes 11 PSI Quarts—90 minutes 11 PSI

Pints—75 minutes 15 PSI Quarts—90 minutes 15 PSI

MEAT OR POULTRY STOCK (BROTH)

Beef: Saw or crack fresh trimmed beef bones to enhance extraction of flavor. Rinse bones and place in a large stockpot or kettle, cover bones with water, add pot cover, and simmer 3 to 4 hours. Remove bones, cool broth, and pick off meat. Skim off fat, add meat removed from bones to broth, and reheat to boiling. Fill jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process.
Chicken or turkey: Place large carcass bones in a large stockpot, add enough water to cover bones, cover pot, and simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until meat can be easily stripped from bones. Remove bones and pieces, cool broth, strip meat, discard excess fat, and return meat to broth. Reheat to boiling and fill jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process.
Recommended Process (Beef, chicken, or turkey stock)
Pints—20 minutes 11 PSI Quarts—25 minutes 11 PSI

Pints—20 minutes 15 PSI Quarts—25 minutes 15 PSI

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributio...STOCK%20(BROTH)

There is a good book out Making the most of your deer.
From making Jerky to Soap

Save some of the bones
To make both ,
brack them up with a clean ax,
boil over night in a stock big pot (20-/+ at wal mart)
get the bones out,save the liqied, discard the bones, boil down to save frezeer room or can.
To tell its a good both, when its cold it will look like jell-o Use in soap/ cook yum!

Have you tried Jupiter barre res with deer/beef meat
Has there been any CWD in your area ?

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

OfflineAudi0
have ur cake andbeat it 2
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South !
    #6234066 - 11/01/06 06:53 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

venison back-strap sliced thinly and marinated over-night in italian salad dressing and fried in olive oil.

venison jerky is tasty too. that is what i do with the belly meat and other pieces that you can just cut off in strips.

try taking some to be ground up. deer burgers are great.

there are soooo many deers around here it is crazy. im not big into killing defenseless animals but they sure do taste good. we cut up one my friend ran over a few weeks ago. had to count the spots on it, not the horns haha. the baby deers taste even better than mom and pop.

--------------------

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #6234156 - 11/01/06 08:05 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

They are having a venison challenge on Iorn Cheff America tonight I think.. Its comming up soon and should be good.. They have whole primal cuts and have to cut them up into steaks and such.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies