Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblekoraks
More libs, with pics!
    #6226005 - 10/30/06 08:36 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Managed to go out and pick some liberties today. Didn't spend the time I'd wanted to (or planned to) due to a transportation problem, so I could only pick for about 1 hour. But that's not what you want to hear. All you bloody vultures want is the DAMN PICS, am I right? :wink: Ok then, here ya go:

Crappy habitat pic:

Check out this huge cap! I found quite a lot of big ones today.

Nice cluster:

Heavy bluing:

Gillshot:

A few of the 101 caps I picked today drying on a newspaper:

That's it for now, any comments are welcome! I hope you'll enjoy the pics as much as I did taking them (although I must confess that I didn't spend much time on picture taking...)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: More libs, with pics! [Re: koraks]
    #6226010 - 10/30/06 08:41 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I dont know what it is, but that first mushroom picture makes me horney?

Anyways great detail on those mushrooms!!!

InvisibleAmatoxin
Injected With A Poison

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not So Great Britain
    #6226049 - 10/30/06 09:09 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

The stipe on the first one is all twisted! Crazy stuff!  :laugh:

--------------------

Sectioned Under The Mental Health Act Sat 20-10-07 to Thurs 01-11-07 for playing TECHNO music

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #6226057 - 10/30/06 09:14 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Sweet pics. That big specimen is wild looking :crazy:

I like the macro gills shot. Haven't seen many pics with good closeups on the gills of libs yet this year.

Looks like a nice area too.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: More libs, with pics! [Re: eris]
    #6226161 - 10/30/06 10:17 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

the first one is funky lookin, never seen one so conical and wavy!
the wavy ones i find are usually alot flatter then that... cool shit :tongue:

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineGrib_iz_Pitera
<CrimsonPants>
Male User Gallery

Loc: NW Russia
Re: More libs, with pics! [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #6226329 - 10/30/06 11:35 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Very nice!
That freaky mushroom on the second pic looks like as an common lib tries to force it's way through the mutant veil.. awesome..  :jawdrop:

I have to admit I've never found a lib in such wet places with bog grass. I ever thought they're totally hopeless..

--------------------
-Hey, what are doing here in the forest?!
-I'm..I'm just picking mushrooms..
-Look, he's  j u s t  picking mushrooms! Is that you who planted them?!

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: More libs, with pics! [Re: Grib_iz_Pitera]
    #6226479 - 10/30/06 12:35 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

yeah grib, those look more like N California variety of libertys..the 2nd photo, I've ssen lots of those before....That's what I mean by more bell shape...that's more common out here than where your at.

come to think of it, I'm more accepting these days of different strains and sub species than before, depending on where on the planet it is.

Notice on the 4th pic, look close at the stem...can you see sort of a spiral on the stem? (the one that's bluing)...sort of like a spiral candy cane?...and how thicker the stems are than in Russia?...these stems, and in oregon/california are like these spiral types...thicker, and rubbery...much tougher than pans

chewier too....like shroom (beef) jerky or something...hehe

Invisiblekoraks
Re: More libs, with pics! [Re: auweia]
    #6226926 - 10/30/06 02:41 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Once again, thanks for your replies. Yes, the stems are certainly an interesting feature of libs. While some (a definite minority) of the libs I find have almost cube-like, fibrous and also twisted stems, most have very fragile, thin ones. You can clearly see the difference in the last pic on the left, theres a small-stemmed lib lying on one with a much meatier stem. Both were picked from the same field, less than 100 yards away from each other.

They are an amazing little species. I agree with angryshroom: they certainly have something erotic about them...

Offlineblacksun
 User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom
    #6227139 - 10/30/06 03:40 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I find the thicker stemmed ones grow in the rough clumps of grass or the more rugged parts of the field.

Amazing pictures!

--------------------
uarewotueat - "Libs are messy as hell, I don't know whether to take a shit or get a haircut when I'm on them!"

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #6227142 - 10/30/06 03:41 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

IMO the ones with fragile stipes are probably not semilanceata, as that is the macroscopic field characteristic that distinguishes between them and P. strictipes. you are in europe right?

i notice that the large one in the gillshot has rather pale gills for a mature specimen. i wonder if the sporeless monsters are on thier way. i found some last year that looked like candy corn :grin:.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: More libs, with pics! [Re: canid]
    #6227776 - 10/30/06 06:16 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

IMO the ones with fragile stipes are probably not semilanceata, as that is the macroscopic field characteristic that distinguishes between them and P. strictipes.

I was wondering about that, :smile: an easy way to distinguish the two species.

It looks like the stems can twist in either direction.

Excellent pictures Koraks.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: More libs, with pics! [Re: falcon]
    #6227788 - 10/30/06 06:18 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

also, in my personal experience with P. strictipes they tend to haverather straight stipes, though i don't think that characteristic is nessecarily key.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineGrib_iz_Pitera
<CrimsonPants>
Male User Gallery

Loc: NW Russia
Re: More libs, with pics! [Re: auweia]
    #6229801 - 10/31/06 04:54 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

auweia said:
Notice on the 4th pic, look close at the stem...can you see sort of a spiral on the stem? (the one that's bluing)...sort of like a spiral candy cane?...and how thicker the stems are than in Russia?...these stems, and in oregon/california are like these spiral types...thicker, and rubbery...much tougher than pans

Never seen such a spiral twisted stem, that's looking very unusual for me. 'tho thicker stems exist here too, especially on early autumn mushrooms. Early libs in Russia look much more similar to ones you guys from warmer areas post here. Don't think I have those round and flat  caps all the way :ooo: You would consider most of my libs is just common.
Probably lower environment temps affect their exterior at the end of season here, maybe mushrooms make caps wider theirselves in order to accumulate more heat from sun streams.... who knows?

--------------------
-Hey, what are doing here in the forest?!
-I'm..I'm just picking mushrooms..
-Look, he's  j u s t  picking mushrooms! Is that you who planted them?!

Invisiblekoraks
Re: More libs, with pics! [Re: Grib_iz_Pitera]
    #6229912 - 10/31/06 06:57 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

There's some interesting ideas being shared here, very nice! Regarding the suspicion that some (in fact, most) of 'my' libs are actually p. strictipes: that's very interesting, I'd really like to find out more about that. I've googled p. strictipes, but I cannot really find a good resource providing a decent description, good photos or other information that may help discerning one species from another. Perhaps somebody has a good resource on this?

Also, the variation in phenotype is definitely food for thought, especially because distinctly different specimens can be found within the same field, fruiting in the same conditions, in exactly the same habitats/microclimates.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #6230990 - 10/31/06 12:46 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

i'm trying to find a resource with a good description of the microscopic features of P. strictipes. if anybody knows one i'd love to know. i no longer have a copy but can anybody who does check guzman's monograph or PMOTW?

[edit: i found the monograph so i'll hope it's in there instead of the supplement.]

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: More libs, with pics! [Re: canid]
    #6231175 - 10/31/06 01:35 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

here are some features from guzman's supplement, with the discrepancies italicised.

Psilocybe strictipes:

*stipe nonannulate

*collyboid habit

*spores between (7) 8 - 14.5 (16.5) um. in length

*cheilocystidia arranged radialy from hyphae. between 21 - 46 (50) by 7 - 10 um.

*pleurocystidia absent.

*known from europe and north america.

Psilocybe semilanceata:

*stipe nonannulate

*mycenoid habit

*spores (11) 12 - 14 (16) in length.

*cheilocystidia between (12) 20 - 32 by 5 - 7 (8) um. [from spain]

*known from temperate europe, asia, north america, south america and australia.

i'll have to find the initial definitions in the orrigional text, but it's just photo scans so i can't search.

more on this later.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag