Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefunnyfeeling
Stranger

My coco coir trays smell like rotten bananas...
    #6220747 - 10/28/06 11:24 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I've been told this is a sign of contamination, but everything appears normal. I used coco coir with rye jars, 1:1 spawn:substrate ratio, with some coffee, lime, and gypsum. Its been covered in incubation for about 4 days now. I noticed an odd smell yesterday, but I figured it was just the substrate. Today I checked it and it definitely smells like rotten bananas. Toss it?

--------------------
"Love, Bang, Crash, Wakka, Wakka, Bam Thwok"
~ Kim Deal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: My coco coir trays smell like rotten bananas... [Re: funnyfeeling]
    #6220954 - 10/28/06 01:10 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Did you add Verm? Rotten smell is usally bad-

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: My coco coir trays smell like rotten bananas... [Re: Civ]
    #6221038 - 10/28/06 01:45 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

A rotten smell in grain or brf jars usually means death to the mycelium, but in cased trays or bulk substrates, bacteria, unless to the point of slime of course, is actually a beneficial organism and I doubt will result in serious problems. I've also smelled some horrible stuff, that later went away and the projects fruited normally.

Of course, keep your eyes open for green molds and toss out your trays the moment you see them.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblefunnyfeeling
Stranger

Re: My coco coir trays smell like rotten bananas... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6221093 - 10/28/06 02:10 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks RR. I will be checking once a day for just a glimpse to ensure there is nothing bad growing in there. Glad I didn't just chuck the tray. I'll post pictures of the finished product if all goes well.

--------------------
~ Kim Deal

Invisiblefunnyfeeling
Stranger

Re: My coco coir trays smell like rotten bananas... [Re: funnyfeeling]
    #6230732 - 10/31/06 11:31 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I've moved the tray into a drawer, at room temperature as suggested by a fellow shroomery member. However, the tray still smells, and there is still no sign of contamination. If the tray continues to colonize, and there are no obvious signs of contamination besides the smell, should I allow the tray to be cased? Should the smell only linger until I can put it in the FC and give it some FAE? What exactly is causing this smell?

I did put it in the incubator prior to this as I was later told not to incubate large trays as they produce their own heat.

--------------------
~ Kim Deal

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag