Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAceNineSuited
Stranger
Some birthing questions.
    #6230648 - 10/31/06 11:16 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Ok I birthed my 1st of 12 pf tek jars this morn. Set it up in the FC as per the procedure described in the tek. Couple questions

1st - washed my hands thoroughly prior to the birthing. Was tough to get it out of the jar (my other ones i dunked today and tossed in the refrig in water filled jars all floated so at least thats good). I had to tap on the 1 jar I birthed today a bit to get it out. Does excessive smackin of the jar bruise real bad or anything? And second, handling of the cake, washing it off etc when birthed before going into FC, pretty safe if you have washed up real well right? OR is there any more steps to ensure contam protection during birthing I should be following?

2nd - with the jars I dunked today, they floated as hoped. I didnt have bottle caps as i saw someone recommend for keepin them from floating to the top. So i cut some unused ping pong balls in half. rubbed em in alcohol then washed em with some filtered tap water. Then placed each half, the cut jagged side up to the lid and the half round side down to keep them submerged. This an ok method of doin this given my supplies. Nothing bad can come from usin plastic ping pong balls to submerge while dunking can it? As long as they were nicely cleaned off and all

Thanks in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Some birthing questions. [Re: AceNineSuited]
    #6230689 - 10/31/06 11:23 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

fully colonized cakes are quite contaminate resistant.  you can probably handle them with dirty hands and have things work out ok. :smile:  (though being clean is always prudent)

likewise, cakes are pretty tough.  i've dropped one on the floor before giving it a big ol' dent and it fruited just as well as its peers. :smile:  obviously the less and gentler you handle them the better, but don't worry about giving them a bang to get them out of the jar... you almost always need to.

same goes for the ping-pong ball, no harm done there, kind of clever actually to keep it submerged. :smile:  i like to just use a fresh lid with no holes, then turn the jar over half way through the dunk so both sides are under water at least half the time.  it all works out fine in the long run even if some of it isn't submerged, so don't sweat it... they're kind of like sponges, if you held a sponge half way under water, the top would absorb some moisture too right? :smile:

OfflineAceNineSuited
Stranger
Re: Some birthing questions. [Re: creamcorn]
    #6230706 - 10/31/06 11:26 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

K great, thnx for the quick reply. Like I said I birthed the 1 today and another 9 will be tomorrow. So this 1 today was the first birthing of my first grow attempt. Was semi weary of the amount of handling I did with it cause of birthing, placing in the FC makin sure everything was nice in there, perlite not touchin the cake and all ontop of the lid. But glad to hear it prob wont hurt it. Thanks again.

OfflineMightyCelt
Stranger
Re: Some birthing questions. [Re: AceNineSuited]
    #6230730 - 10/31/06 11:31 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

1- From what I've read, and experienced, once a cake is fully colonized, the mycellium will do a pretty good job of fending off contamination. If your hands were clean, and you didnt manhandle the thing too bad, you should be okay. As far as bruising the cakes, my friend's were a bitch to get out too, and he hasn't had any of them bruise nasty or anything.

2- I think you'll be fine. When he birthed his cakes, he threw 6 of them at a time into a tupperware container to let them soak overnight in tap water, at room temp. I think you should be fine as far as contams and such go.

Hell, after soaking, he rolled his cakes in dry vermiculite (not sterilized or anything). Since by the time the cakes are fully colozed, all the nutritive materials have been claimed by the fungus, theres very little opportunity for other stuff to grab a foothold, and the fungus' natural defenses take care of most anything.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds