Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGunther
Stranger
Other message board unable to help!
    #622691 - 04/30/02 01:10 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Either I'm really stupid and no one responded cause it wasnt worth the effort to make fun of me or they dont know how to reply...which one is it?

Original Post:
Alright I'm a "noobie", let's just get that right out of the way. I did however search the forums before posting. How un-noobie of me. Well here it is. I've decided I'm going to grow 10 jars worth of a buddys strain. I have a light source, and I am using one inch of perlite with water at the bottom for humidity. The cakes will be sitting directly on the perlite. If this is not cool and I should get off my ass and buy wire mesh please explain why its so important. I will not have a drip shield either but if you think this is necessary please tell me why. Basically I only want to check it every 2 to 3 days. I am using a styrofoam cooler just big enough for 8 to 10 jars and therefore will not be able to check the water level. If I should buy a new container that is clear so I can see how much water I have at any one time because of evaporation or something please tell me why. Here is the real question though. This setup is going under a bed. Its not exactly clean and it doesnt exactly have the freshest air. Like any other bedroom. So here is what I am debating on. Should I install a computer fan at the top of terr. with two holes poked in the middle on either side for air exchange or BECAUSE of its location should I forget the whole thing. I can vacuum and stuff but the fact is it will still be under a bed. My worry is the fans will suck in some air from under the bed that will cause contamination. Should I worry, or just go for it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemrdasani
enthusiast
Re: Other message board unable to help! [Re: Gunther]
    #622782 - 04/30/02 03:06 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

first big problem with your idea: a fan like that will blow away all the moisture/humidity. Youll never get pins and they will stay in that state.

second biggest problem, stale air may lead to contamination. It MAY lead to contamination.

What I suggest you do, is get a small ice box (a styrafoam one about 1 foot by 2 feet. And about 1/2 to 1 foot deep. Use this as a big size container for casing.

1 - with completed jars, crumble up.
2 - prepare casing
3- put bottom layer of casing
4 - put the substrate
5 - put the top layer of casing

Cover with plastic wrap, cover to make dark for a week

take off the cover to expose to light

your have big fruits in 3 weeks tops. Good luck, i hope that helps u understand.

try not to get complicated, the most complex setups often are regreted because simple techniques were not attempted.

--------------------
"Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!" - Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here 1975)

"Never underestimate the power of denial." -from American Beauty.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation