Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlek
Stranger
Male

Loc: The universe
Cardboard spawn tutorial * 2
    #6225388 - 10/29/06 09:09 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I posted this in the Mushroom Hunting forum too, as it pertains to both forums.

This is a way to generate massive amounts of spawn with little effort. All you need is the stem butts from your mushrooms or pieces of mycelium, and some corrugated cardboard.

First you need to find some mushrooms with the stem butt still in tact.  You can use little pieces of mycelium too.

1.) When picking a patch, be respectful to it. Don't go there and rip all the mycelium out of the patch. Gently pull the mushrooms out of the ground, trying not to damage the patch, but still trying to get a little mycelium that's still attached to the stem butt of the mushroom.  This step doesn't pertain to people who are taking stem butts with the mushrooms they grow.

2.) Next, go get some corrugated cardboard. Gas station and supermarket cardboard bins are great places to find free giant stashes of cardboard!

3.) Break the stem butts off the mushroom, about a half inch or an inch up from the base of the stem. The goal here is to harvest the little clump of mycelium still attached to the base of the stem.

4.) Soak the cardboard in a big clean tub of some sort. A clean wheelbarrow works great. I put a few glass gallon jugs of water on the cardboard to keep it submerged.

5.)Wait about 10-20 minutes for the cardboard to be completely saturated and floppy. After its done, let it drain a little bit if you want, so don't get soaked when working with it.

6.) Lay the soaked cardboard out on a large, clean surface, such as a table or countertop.

7.) Rip and seperate the top paper layer of the cardboard from the middle corrugated layer.

8.) Place the stem butts on top of the corrugated layer. Place them evenly, a few inches apart.

9.) Now cover them with the top layer of paper you ripped off earlier in step 7.

10.) Stack all of your newly inoculated cardboard spawn and place it somewhere where you can keep it moist all the time. A good place is in the shade outside in a rubbermaid or similar tub. You don't want it directly on the ground, as that gives other microbes more of a chance at it. If I find the cardboard is getteing to try, I just water it down with the hose.

Here is the spawn only 1.5 weeks after inoculation!

This spawn is about 1 week away from being ready to be spawned into a bed of deciduous woodchips. You could let it grow on the cardboard for a little while, but as we get later and later into the fall, you risk losing your cardboard spawn to freezing temperatures. By spawning it to woodchips as soon as possible, you increase your insulation for the mycelium and give it more suitable temperatures for growth. Cover your woodchip patch with straw or black plastic to lock in heat for the mycelium over the winter too!

:mushroom2:

Edited by Blek (10/29/06 09:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleToTheExtreme, LOL
That Bug up yourAss
Male

Loc: Where there's fresh powde...
Re: Cardboard spawn tutorial [Re: Blek]
    #6225401 - 10/29/06 09:14 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

can you do this with cubes or just woodlovers?

--------------------

What can I say??? I like this shit!!
You've been slissed!
despisedicon said:
We all know the reasons why 50 Cent and Korn are gay faggots. You suck at life and I'm not talking about the board game fella.

OfflineBlek
Stranger
Male

Re: Cardboard spawn tutorial [Re: ToTheExtreme, LOL]
    #6225417 - 10/29/06 09:18 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Works with cubes also. Very well too!

I wouldn't incubate it outdoors with cubes though, unless you live somewhere warm.

That Bug up yourAss
Male

#6225445 - 10/29/06 09:29 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

neat!!!I I fucked up all but 1 of 6 jars of z strain, which still has a slight black mold infection. I birthed it tonight, in hopes of getting something to continue my research, could I use my spent grains to colonize the cardboard without the aspergillus wreaking havoc? I decided not to spawn this stuff to bulk cuz I read black mold loves things like poo and compost. Durango Colorado is way too cold to incubate outdoors. does light affect cardboard colonization? it sounds as if I don't have to keep it in complete darkness. this opens up a whole new world to me.

--------------------

You've been slissed!
despisedicon said:
We all know the reasons why 50 Cent and Korn are gay faggots. You suck at life and I'm not talking about the board game fella.

OfflineShroomeyfinder
Happy hunting in Humboldt!
Male

Loc: Humboldt County
    #6225462 - 10/29/06 09:36 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Awesome tek! :thumbup: It looks like the caps started colonizing the cardboard too, could you colonize with just the caps if you didn't tear them up?

--------------------
Let us go dance into the night....and let the vibe of hundreds of awesome people surround us... let us get to know eatchother and everyone else..emotionally..spirtually..and mentally..please..can I hold you close..and protect you...can you hold me close and protect me...because even equivalent exchange must play it's role in a relationship...I want to find you, you are somewhere out there my lover...

Edited by Shroomeyfinder (10/29/06 09:37 PM)

OfflineBlek
Stranger
Male

Re: Cardboard spawn tutorial [Re: Shroomeyfinder]
    #6225490 - 10/29/06 09:43 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Sliss, I would say that spawning them to cardboard and putting them outside is the best thing you can do with contaminated cakes.  The cardboard may make favorable conditions for the mycelium and not the mold. You never know :shrug: but it always pays to try and experiment.

Quote:

Shroomeyfinder said:
Awesome tek! :thumbup: It looks like the caps started colonizing the cardboard too, could you colonize with just the caps if you didn't tear them up?

I don't see this in the pics, but I wouldn't be surprised if that worked.  The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.  The great thing about stem butts though, is usually I break them off before the mushrooms go in the dehydrator anyway.  No better way to recycle the cardboard either!

You should try it with your caps to see if it works.  Experimentation is key!

:mushroom2:

Edited by Blek (10/29/06 09:51 PM)

That Bug up yourAss
Male

#6225670 - 10/29/06 10:44 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

so are you saying you can colonize the cardboard in the light?  if I could just have a 12 gallon sterilite full of cardboard spawn that would rock :rockon:

--------------------

You've been slissed!
despisedicon said:

OfflineGrogan
Shroomieologist
 User Gallery

Re: Cardboard spawn tutorial [Re: ToTheExtreme, LOL]
    #6225708 - 10/29/06 11:05 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

This looks very very interesting :smile: wonder if you can take a sharp knife and cut a small piece of the myc, then perhaps make a syringe with this.. or introduce it into a jar in a glove box.. hmmmm

--------------------
"Maybe a cow occasionally ate a shroom, but it certainly wouldn't be such a potent shroom that the cow would be trippin balls. " LOL

OfflineBlek
Stranger
Male

Re: Cardboard spawn tutorial [Re: Grogan]
    #6225819 - 10/30/06 12:33 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

If you were doing cubensis on cardboard. It would make more sense to spawn the cardboard into pasturized wheat straw. You can put the stem butts directly into pasturized wheat straw as well. Transfering them from stem butt--> liquid culture--> syringe --> Jar --> Fruiting substrate/casing is making waaay to much work for yourself. Pasturized wheat straw is simple, easy, can be fruited off of and has very efficient yields.

Edited by Blek (10/30/06 12:37 AM)

OfflineIgnatius
Stranger

Loc: Prague, Czech Republic
    #6225862 - 10/30/06 01:18 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I used this very same method with sclerotia - Mexicana A and it seems to be working. A little fluffy white mycelium appeared and is rapidly colonizing a jar. However, I wonder what will happen to that bit of cardboard in 90 days when I pop the lid. Will it be dissolved (I'm guessing no) or will I just have to fish it out before eating the rest of it?

--------------------
The book says, we might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us

InvisibleBobHumboldt
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Cardboard spawn tutorial [Re: Ignatius]
    #6228746 - 10/30/06 09:24 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

nice ...

Edited by BobHumboldt (02/26/07 11:30 AM)

OfflineBlek
Stranger
Male

Re: Cardboard spawn tutorial [Re: BobHumboldt]
    #6228848 - 10/30/06 09:45 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Cover your patches with wheat straw when temperatures reach freezing. Keep the wheat straw moist all the time. The humid warmer environment of the moist wheat straw is more suitable to mushroom growth after the freeze initiates primordia growth.

Offlineogrd
Male
    #22824116 - 01/25/16 06:28 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Just thought I'd share a quick photo; thought it appropriate since I enjoy this good ol' tek.

--------------------
http://ogrd.net

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate