Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLaStrada
La Strada
Side Pinning
    #6220961 - 10/28/06 03:14 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'm considering making a fruiting chamber with light that only comes through the top in order to reduce side pinning. But then I asked myself 'whats wrong with side pinning?'. Could someone answer that question for me please?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Side Pinning [Re: LaStrada]
    #6220985 - 10/28/06 03:24 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Pins form on the sides and bottom of your casings. They can disrupt the substrate and if they do not get removed they can rott and cause contamination. Usally trying to remove them disturbs the caseing altogether, so you want to try and avoid it.

I didn't think much of it on my first grows, but I have had a few pins that I didn't see, and they rotted and started some problems in my caseings. So now I try to make sure it doesn't happen.

It matters more if the container you are useing is opaque or not. Not as much as where the light is comming from.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Edited by Civ (10/28/06 03:27 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Side Pinning [Re: Civ]
    #6221022 - 10/28/06 03:38 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

A casing layer with perfectly spaced mushrooms that cover the entire surface has lots of eye candy appeal, but the fact is that when fewer mushrooms grow on a project they tend to be much larger, so total yield isn't affected 'that' much. In fact, with Shiitake, I often prune most of the pins so the ones that stay grow as big as portabellos and much better suited for grilling, which is my favorite way to eat them. You can also apply that technique to cubes, although some will consider it heresy.

Normally, side pinning isn't caused by light coming in the sides, but rather something wrong with the casing layer such as Ph or improper moisture content that the mycelium avoids.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinehucker696
TimeSplitter
Re: Side Pinning [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6221047 - 10/28/06 03:48 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I just (5 mins ago)rotated one of my cakes because all the pins were growing toward the lite sourse and I wanted them to stand up straight.I thought I messed up my grow because of how long it took,but today my cake exploted with pins.There's like 75 pins all on the top of my cake. :laugh:

Edited by hucker696 (10/28/06 03:58 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation