Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Gypsum, Perlite, Rye Grain, Spawn Bags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
mycologically driven individual
Male User Gallery

I need to know how to transfer the edibles i'm going to grow to my garden(and ideas for good strains
    #6216600 - 10/27/06 04:37 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

okay, so i'm thinking about attempting to grow some mushrooms...just fucking around with legal edibles for fun and experimental purposes. I'd like to follow a tek using spawn bags, and then transplant them into my yard so that they will continue to grow in further seasons if this is doable. i think i'm going to order some bags, put together my own spawn material, and get some oyster and shiitake mushrooms spores (any other ideas for mushrooms that i can grow in my garden would be great!! i live in the PNW). I want to inoculate and colonize the bags, and fruit them, but i'm wondering if there is a way to transfer the mycelium outside to some other medium to just continue their growth in the garden whenever the seasons are correct? all that i have read and seen of oysters (seen these in the wild around here plenty) and shiitakes says that you can spawn it on sawdust or woodchips or something of that sort, and i have read about plug spawning logs with mushies. i haven't been able to find anything about how to create your own plugs from mycelium grown from spores so that i could just spawn a big log in my garden. How would i go about making these plugs? or is there a better way to spawn these things in my garden?
this summer we got new wood mulch put in all over the garden, and now that the fall rains have come, tons of LBMs have been popping up all over the place.....seems like prime mushie growing territory, could roll a few logs in and spawn the mushies that need to be coming out of like a vertical log, and then put some others in the mulch growing around it....any ideas of what mushies might just grow in the mulch? possibly some shaggy manes or parasols? maybe wine caps, or some type of button mushroom, or even chantrelles?! get back to me people, i have many questions....
i've got everything figured out about growing them, i just need to figure out how to transfer them to my yard once they've grown, and what are some good kinds to try (besides oysters and shiitakes)?

thank you all!!!sorry for the long rambling post, it's late, and i'm stoned!!!

--------------------
[url=http:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Loc: So long stinktown
Re: I need to know how to transfer the edibles i'm going to grow to my garden(and ideas for good str [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #6216695 - 10/27/06 05:31 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Never tried outdoor growing, but I figure if I had a real yard, I'd just bury my spent substrates into compost rich dirt.

This link could probably help you, it's for a particular species, but I'm sure there are other wood loving species that you could grow using the same tek.

http://www.fungifun.org/English/Psilocybe-Azurescens-Outdoor-Cultivation

this site is like an encyclopedia on all different species

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: I need to know how to transfer the edibles i'm going to grow to my garden(and ideas for good str [Re: zathan]
    #6216893 - 10/27/06 08:11 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You may have better luck in the edibles forum

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I need to know how to transfer the edibles i'm going to grow to my garden(and ideas for good str [Re: Blutjager]
    #6217089 - 10/27/06 09:35 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Rather than move this to gourmet and medicinals, I'd like to leave it here to spark some interest in these fine mushrooms. As fungiphiles, we can really increase our knowledge and skills by expanding the species list we grow.

Oysters grow great on straw logs, and shiitake grow well on alder sawdust which is easy to get in the PNW. After fruiting indoors, both can be tossed into a woodpile in the back yard for a ghetto inoculation.

Do a search online for hardwood dowels. Get the spiral grooved ones that are made for putting furniture together. Soak in water for three days, then PC and inoculate with grain spawn. When the wood dowels are colonized, just drill holes in freshly cut logs and drive the dowels in with a hammer.

Here's a few projects that can be started indoors, then moved outside later. First is hericium, the lions mane on sawdust. I add 20% wheat bran and ten percent gypsum to the sawdust and these get huge. Next is a local reishi, Ganoderma oregonese that I cloned from a wild mushroom this summer and it's already forming a conk indoors. Next is three shiitake pictures grown on the same sawdust/bran/gypsum formula as the lions mane. They get as big as portabellos if you use wheat bran and gypsum in the substrate. The pint jars have the exact same substrate, but in jars that were grown in a terrarium with perlite humidification. With timely birthing and cold shock, shiitake fruits even before the blocks turn brown, usually within 30 days of spawning. Last is a straw log of oysters using my straw log tek from several years ago. The bowl of oysters is 1/2 the harvest from that log. The other half were picked early to give the rest room to grow. Good luck and I'd love to see more folks getting into edibles.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineVampireSlayer
killing ghosts,zombies andvampires forlife
Male User Gallery

Re: I need to know how to transfer the edibles i'm going to grow to my garden(and ideas for good str [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6217142 - 10/27/06 09:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

those are really something! i always wanted to try a shaggy mane. that is one edible i haven't eaten yet. growing edibles sounds fun. I would definately not mind growing edibles because there is no grocery store that carries fresh edibles that aern't molding or have black spots on them. I usually just eat dried edibles. Oysters seem to be one of the easier cultivated mushrooms and I simply love them. on those oyster logs, are the fruits actually pushing through the plastic bag?

--------------------
I Don't come to fight flesh and blood but spiritual wickedness in high and low places

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I need to know how to transfer the edibles i'm going to grow to my garden(and ideas for good str [Re: VampireSlayer]
    #6217177 - 10/27/06 10:06 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

On the bottom, yes. They fruited out the holes that were there for ventilation.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
Male User Gallery

Re: I need to know how to transfer the edibles i'm going to grow to my garden(and ideas for good str [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6219173 - 10/27/06 10:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

thank you very much roger rabbit, both for the great information as well as for not moving my thread to groumets and edibles (seeing is how all of my questions have to do with cultivation...) that's hilarious about the wood dowels, i never would ave thought of that...you pretty much just colonize the dowels the same way that you would go about colonizing the wood chips (in the azure and cyans examples that were posted) from your spawn? Also, i've absolutely no experience with the cultivation of mushies yet, most of everything that i've read about how to go outdoors with them have been started from Agar solution, and this seems like it's a bit more of an advanced techniqe, so i think i'm just going to get spores for all of these types of mushies. i know everyone says "follow your tek exactly!" but since i am doing some kind of funky stuff, i haven't been able to find any teks that do exactly what i want to do, so i'm going to mix and match, come up with the best i can. i have read a ton of stuf abou thegrowing of mushrooms though, so it shouldn't turn out as disastrous as you might htink (hopefully...). i'm ordering everything i need this weekend!!! i'm gonna try to put oysters and shiitakes into grain spawn, maybe try to fruit for one flush, then break up the cakes and use the spawn to colonize dowels and put them in some logs out in the yard so i can have mushies for years to come.
you've given me something to chew on for the moment though, RR, i still have many questions, but i'm just going to mull over the info i just got for the moment....i'll be back with more to ask soon!!

edit: holy shit RR!! i was just looking through all of your pictures, and that chantrelle growing out of another chantrelle is one of the most absurd mushrooms i've ever seen....is this what is indeed happening in this picture? was kind of hard to tell if it was just growing out of the ground and coming up froim behind...

--------------------
[url=http:

Edited by SuchSmartMonkeys (10/27/06 10:18 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I need to know how to transfer the edibles i'm going to grow to my garden(and ideas for good str [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #6219418 - 10/27/06 11:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

It was growing on the back of the other. Mrs rabbit found another one like that last week, so it can't be all that uncommon. It was trippy though.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
Male User Gallery

#6219509 - 10/28/06 12:23 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i'm back again, nd i've been looking at all of the shroomery sponsor sites for supplies and such, but not finding what i want.....is it expected to get spawn bags pre-filled an sterilized? or is there a site that sells the empty bags (with the self healing injector site, and ventilation), because i would like to go through the whole process of sterilization and inoculation/colonization, or should i expect to only find prefilled/presterilized bags, and just try to make some cakes in half pint jars from rye grain? i think i'm going to order my spores from sporeworks, i'm debating on wether to just get an oyster syringe and a shiitake syringe to start off messing around with, or if i should just go for the discounted 4 strain grab bag special (4 for the price of 3...) for my other 2, i would probably get shaggy mane, reishi, morels, lion's mane, or wine caps.....which of these 2 would be best to grow judging by #1. easiness to grow #2 likeliness that i'll be able to transplant it to a self sustaining area in my garden #3 edibility/taste

thanks!

--------------------
[url=http:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6219573 - 10/28/06 12:48 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Reishi and Lions mane are two of the easiest. Keep reading.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Gypsum, Perlite, Rye Grain, Spawn Bags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation