Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejosh057
Loc: az
questions about coco coir
    #621554 - 04/28/02 07:39 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

what is coco coir. I heard it works very well for casings. I looked all over the place and for some reason everyone but me seems to know all about it. Where to I get it? How do I use it?

I have a few casings under my belt with just vermiculate, but the shrooms have mostly been very small. I think this has either to do with the strain (equador, and puerto rican), or the type of casings and substrates I am working with. I am just using brown rice flour and vermiculate.
Does anyone have any problems with thier shrooms being small?
My cakes all give off good sized shrooms (but not as many as casing.

Some one please talk to me........

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Loc: Toronto
Re: questions about coco coir [Re: josh057]
    #621596 - 04/28/02 08:28 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Coir is the shredded fibre of coconut husks. It holds many times its weight in water but does not decompose for years. It is PH neutral which is a bonus. Hydroponics stores sell it in compressed bales. There are also little compressed bircks of finely milled coir called gro-bricks that swell up to 1 cu foot when soaked. Make sure you wash it and wash it before you use it because it contains natural salts that might harm the mycellium. I use it a lot with the orchids and really like it. It stays moist longer than sphagnum. I already have it here so I am going to try the coir as casing as well as vermiculite and vermiculite/coir when I case this week. Then I will know which one I like.

--------------------
I've been having psilly dreams lately

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation