Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
I always am careful to avoid contams. My work area when mixing jar ingredients gets sprayed with lysol, all heat/ air cond gets turned off etc. I sterilize everything. When I case in a humidified terrarium, I use hydrogen peroxide in the perlite. I have never had to deal with contams as a result until recently.
Here is how it happened:
I began storing the terariums on the top shelf of a walk in closet. This closet in on the upper level of my home. Immediately outside the window in the closet I have a soffit and fascia that have mold/fungus growing on them due to a large tree shading the house and keeping things damp. The mold is blackish.
One fine day my wife opened the window upstairs to air the house out and I took down the terrarium and proceded to fan it. I didn't even think about the mold growing on the house outside. Suprise, I then had black mold growing on the terrarium inside. A little wiping down and a spray or two with hydrogen perxide took care of things, but it could have been much worse.
As I think about it, my basement has a few spots of something growing on the wall corners. Some of my windows have mold on the wood. If you look around your place you probably have some "stuff" growing in some areas as well. This stuff *is* in the air. And if you expose your grow to it, it will grow inside of your growing area.
For those starting to grow, consider the area you will have your cakes/casings. When you open the terrarium cover to air them out, is the surrounding air pure? I doubt it. Lysol and hydrogen peroxide are the shroom growers best friend.
I switched to IPA from lysol because it is much much cheaper and works just as well. Just remember to make sure all those flames are out before you start spraying alcohol into the air or you can end up with a big fireball instead of a sterile work area.
-------------------- Just another spore in the wind.