Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblebadreligion2good
Uncertain
Male

18 y/o, no family to help me, how can I get by?
    #6210141 - 10/25/06 10:22 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Well, Im 18. I live with my grandmother, who is 86 and is getting progressively sicker both physically, and psychologically. She pays the rent for the apartment I live in, we split other expenses. She is the only relative I have that is willing and able to offer me some help. When she dies, which seems sooner than later, I won't have anyone to go to for help except my girlfriend and her family. I go to college fulltime, and I work 30 hours a week. With this schedule, i could never make a living, but I want to get my education now. I dont know what Im going to do when my grandmother dies.

Any guidance, advice, comments?

--------------------
All I know is that I dont know.

Row, row, row, you boat, gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
Re: 18 y/o, no family to help me, how can I get by? [Re: badreligion2good]
    #6210205 - 10/25/06 10:41 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

You can apply for grants/scholarships/student loans to help with college. Maybe cut down on the amount of classes you're taking and work more hours to support yourself. Apply for welfare or section 8 (that's what it's called here in Massachusetts at least) to help pay rent on a place to live in when your grandmotehr is no longer around. Worst case scenario, stop going to college and work full time to save up some money to pay your bills, etc. Hopefully it won't come to that though, because it sounds like you really want to get college done with now. There's definitely a lot of resources though, through the government, state, etc, to help you pay for school and housing if you can't afford it. Good luck!

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

#6210386 - 10/25/06 11:53 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I'm in a similar situation only i'm 24, but ive never had much of a chance to build a future for myself as of yet..
I living with and trying to look after my mom who's chronically ill.
When she dies all i'll have is myself and my friends.

I'm trying to set up a small gardening business but it's getting very difficult.
One of the best things ive done for myself is passing my driving test, that opens up alot of new possibility's for me...

I'm not sure how support works in your country ( assuming your American ), but over here there's allsorts of help on offer.
We have 'citizen advice bureau's' in our towns where we can go and see what help is available to us.
They have professionals there who look through your situation then send you in the right direction. If you have any similar organizations over there i suggest that's somewhere you should go, they should tell you where you stand...

If you ever want to talk about anything hit me with a PM..

:sun:

Offlinenobhdy
ETNAV
Male

Loc: CT
Re: 18 y/o, no family to help me, how can I get by? [Re: Mike_yy]
    #6210410 - 10/25/06 12:10 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Join the military. They will pay for your college, they will cover your health expenses as well as any familly you may acquire, and you automatically get covered with life insurance(as well as family). they will provide you with nice housing, food, ect. The military makes life easy....plus, you get to see the world.

After basic training, they will send you to almost any college and pay for your school in full, as long as you have a certain GPA.

Can't lose. Plus, youd be serving this country. the military is trying to beef up their numbers anyways, and they'll do much more to try and get you to join.

If anything, just look up some stuff and research it a little before you say no. I tell you it was the best move of my life.

--------------------
[quote]Gumby said:
And if you are going to waste peoples time with your stupid questions, at least try to have grammar skills higher then that of a 7th grader.

READ DAMNIT! [/quote]

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: 18 y/o, no family to help me, how can I get by? [Re: nobhdy]
    #6210453 - 10/25/06 12:32 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Or, find a room mate in a nice but older part of town, and get a few roommates. My buddies have a 4 bedroom house, and they have like 6 people living there that pay rent, it's under 200 a month per person I believe.
If you do it with good friends, they may even give you a break if you take the small room or the couch in the living room, and only have to pay 100 a month, my buddies do that here.

If you have friends, ask them, and discuss the idea with them, it Could really be a good break for you anyway - new start to life, less pressures, (100 a month isn't bad, that means you can work part time and still go to school). Take your core classes at a community college if you aren't doing so already, (why pay double at a university for the same thing?)

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: 18 y/o, no family to help me, how can I get by? [Re: Maverick]
    #6210602 - 10/25/06 01:31 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Try getting food stamps,SSA,and be real nice to your gandmother. Tip talk to a lawer that dosn't get paid if you won't win,becase if you make/ have to much money you will get less from the govermant and state.The lawyer sound kown the in's and out's of the state you live in. There are a lot of government programs out there. You just have to ask for help.Look if someone can run from Mexico into USA and get help, then you should be able get help to. Apply for SSA and food stamps now, it could takes a long time.But, they back pay it for the mouths you, where wetting for it.Hope this helps
Sorry if my english isn't the best. :smile:

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Edited by Brainiac (10/25/06 01:32 PM)

Offlinenobhdy
ETNAV
Male

Re: 18 y/o, no family to help me, how can I get by? [Re: Brainiac]
    #6210702 - 10/25/06 01:56 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

or join the military...:crazy2:

--------------------
[quote]Gumby said:
And if you are going to waste peoples time with your stupid questions, at least try to have grammar skills higher then that of a 7th grader.

READ DAMNIT! [/quote]

InvisibleSaturnGlass
So white andnerdy
Loc: The other side
    #6210881 - 10/25/06 02:54 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

nobhdy said:
Join the military. They will pay for your college, they will cover your health expenses as well as any familly you may acquire, and you automatically get covered with life insurance(as well as family). they will provide you with nice housing, food, ect. The military makes life easy....plus, you get to see the world.

After basic training, they will send you to almost any college and pay for your school in full, as long as you have a certain GPA.

Can't lose. Plus, youd be serving this country. the military is trying to beef up their numbers anyways, and they'll do much more to try and get you to join.

If anything, just look up some stuff and research it a little before you say no. I tell you it was the best move of my life.

Thats exactly why almost only the poor are in the military and dying! If you join the military in todays world, you will prolly have to wait to go to school. Because you will have to go to war first. If you make it back, then you can go finish school :thumbup: I would serve my country no problem. But to serve for bush and his little revenge, war mongering,cheerleading,coke snorting,gas price inflating,mommy boy,making pharmaceutical companies rich ass....I would NEVER in a MILLION years serve this country the way it is doing right now!! EVER. Bush is just ridiculous!!

InvisibleSaturnGlass
So white andnerdy
Re: 18 y/o, no family to help me, how can I get by? [Re: SaturnGlass]
    #6210894 - 10/25/06 02:56 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Did I mention bush is an Idiot? He needs to get herpies or somethin :grin: You gotta watch what you say about bush on the net now adays, you say too much and you may just have people knocking at your door arresting you for saying that someone should beat him with a stick :shocked:

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6210957 - 10/25/06 03:10 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I'd try to do pretty much every other option before joining the military. With the war in Iraq getting worse and worse, do you really want to wind up overseas dying for some bullshit war that we started over oil? I wouldn't. I have no problem with people fighting for a cause, but this is not a just cause that we have going on right now. Plus, with the North Korea crap going on, we'll probably wind up over there soon, too.

Apply for welfare, or government assistance of some sort. Plus, I'm assuming your grandmother has life insurance, maybe you are listed as the beneficiary, if you guys are close? If you have a good GPA in college up until that point, the school that you go to may offer you financial aid, or scholarships as well.

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: 18 y/o, no family to help me, how can I get by? [Re: Liz]
    #6210978 - 10/25/06 03:13 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Coast Guard??

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

InvisibleSaturnGlass
So white andnerdy
    #6210994 - 10/25/06 03:18 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Liz said:
I'd try to do pretty much every other option before joining the military. With the war in Iraq getting worse and worse, do you really want to wind up overseas dying for some bullshit war that we started over oil? I wouldn't. I have no problem with people fighting for a cause, but this is not a just cause that we have going on right now. Plus, with the North Korea crap going on, we'll probably wind up over there soon, too.

Apply for welfare, or government assistance of some sort. Plus, I'm assuming your grandmother has life insurance, maybe you are listed as the beneficiary, if you guys are close? If you have a good GPA in college up until that point, the school that you go to may offer you financial aid, or scholarships as well.

We'll most likely nuke them before we send troops over there. And then we have the start of the WWIII and then WWIIII will be fought with sticks and stones

Offlinenobhdy
ETNAV
Male

Re: 18 y/o, no family to help me, how can I get by? [Re: SaturnGlass]
    #6211048 - 10/25/06 03:37 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Does liz have any idea what shes talking about?

We are over there fighting for Democracy.

I heard in an old movie "any man would give his first begotten son for democracy"

Not a cause? go watch some news.

and if you're going to military, go real military. all coast guard does is....guard the coast...

join the navy or something if you like the ocean.

also, saturnglass, we will only use nukes if someone is threatening to nuke us, and even then only after we bomb the hell out of the threat. Nukes are bad for everyone.

>We'll most likely nuke them before we send troops over there. And then we have the start of the WWIII and then WWIIII will be fought with sticks and stones

lol does that make any sort of sense? nuke, THEN put troops over there?

thats funny...

but seriously, join the military. they set you up reeeeal nice.

--------------------
[quote]Gumby said:

READ DAMNIT! [/quote]

InvisibleSaturnGlass
So white andnerdy
    #6211077 - 10/25/06 03:48 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I wasn't saying we would nuke then send troops. I was saying that we would most likely nuke before we would send troops over there(As in nuke and then don't bother sending troops). Don't distort my words!

And what right do we have to go invade another country for "democracy" ??
Bush said it was a fight against terrorist, then it was a fight against saddamm, and now its for democracy. The iraqis votes counted just as much as ours did when bush was SELECTED!!

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6211356 - 10/25/06 05:16 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Over there fighting for democracy?  More like trying to force democracy down a countries throat that clearly is not happy with our presence.  We've pushed them more towards a civil war than they ever were.  Even our top generals are encouraging Bush to change his strategy, and he's just too dumb and stubborn to comply with them.

"Go watch some news"  Are you really naive enough to think that everything you see on the news is real?  The vast majority of the media is controlled by our government.  We went to war over a bullshit cause, because of made-up intelligence reports.  There were no weapons of mass destruction, and now our troops are stuck over there getting their asses handed to them, everyday.  October was the bloodiest month yet over there, more US Soldiers have died this month than any other month of this war.  Don't suppose you saw THAT statistic on the news?

We've killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi CIVILIANS over there, in our "fight for democracy". Sorry, but I don't feel that joining the military to go kill innocent people for an unjust cause is a good idea.  That's why like NO politicians have their kids enlist.  Bush can stand there all he wants and say that we are "liberators" and that we're doing them a favor, but the reality is that we're not. 

And yes, to answer your question, I do know what I'm talking about.  The old movie that you saw was probably accurate when it was made.  We used to go to war for legitimate reasons, with responsible men leading our country.  That time is long gone, and pretty much everyone knows it.  The reason noone joins the military anymore, and the reason the military is offering such nice signing bonuses and incentives is that they're desperate for recruits, since everyone who joins will likely wind up in the Middle East.  And, they'll be told they're coming home on a certain date, only to be KEPT there, for months longer than they're supposed to be, because our military is spread thinner than it ever has been. 

You can keep spewing all the military propoganda you want, and yes, I'm sure they set you up "reaalllll" nice, but money only matters if you don't get blown up in a marketplace halfway around the world.  :thumbdown:

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

Invisibleadrug

#6211469 - 10/25/06 05:48 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

nobhdy said:
Join the military.

Can't lose.

That's a load of crap if I ever heard it. Sign your life, your body, your mind over to the government so they can inject you with whatever they feel like, break you down mentally, stick you in some job you hate, send you overseas to die, and then boot you out when you're of no use to them anymore.

Wake up.

Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6211502 - 10/25/06 05:56 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

LOL, I want to be setup REEEAAAAAAAALLL nice. Will they be more flexible and allow me to smoke grass like them boys back in Vietnam while I unload my Ak in some insurgent. I want to get paid and kill bad guys.

On the real note though, don't they just give you like 1200 bucks and GI bill thats is voided if you don't go to college. Though there is alot more postions out their than infantry. You can get the same sweet deal in the navy and airforce without having to be subjugated to the same risks. Although I'm sure their are incentives to become infantry. I think them not being very picky in who they recruit is a fallacy though. They make sure the person is cut out for infantry. They don't take everybody in these days. Maybe the policy is changed but I tried to enlist to go fight in Iraq and they turned me down because of some medical history.

Edited by capliberty (10/25/06 05:57 PM)

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 18 y/o, no family to help me, how can I get by? [Re: adrug]
    #6211575 - 10/25/06 06:12 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

adrug said:
Quote:

nobhdy said:
Join the military.

Can't lose.

Wake up.

Glad someone else has some sense on these boards  :rolleyes:

I've had many, MANY friends join the military, feeling as if it was their best chance to have college paid for and have a good life.  One came home with nerve damage to his neck and shoulder from getting his fucking ass kicked by his drill Sergeant, who kicked him repeatedly in the side of the neck with his boots on.  He was discharged.  Another one came home with severe post traumatic stress syndrome, and barely leaves the house anymore.  Others came home with severe anger issues, completely different people from when they left.  The military has literally ruined many people that I know.  And those are just the ones who actually made it home.  I have never, ever, met someone who joined the military recently and didn't regret it after finding out that the war in Iraq is a complete sham, and they're fighting for absolutely NOTHING.

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

Invisiblebadreligion2good
Uncertain
Male

#6211705 - 10/25/06 06:45 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Im not joining the military, I'm a consiencous objector, (I probably spelled that wrong) Its against my beliefs to kill any of the people this country would want me to kill, even if they were trying to kill me. I wont use lethal force against another person. I cant get myself to hit people, I doubt I could shoot someone. Not everyone is fit for the military. I guess I should look into governmental programs, other than the military. If anyone knows of any that are particularly helpful please share.

--------------------
All I know is that I dont know.

Row, row, row, you boat, gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6211732 - 10/25/06 06:54 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Definitely look into obtaining government grants. Here are 2 good links on the topic.

http://www.students.gov/STUGOVWebApp/Public?topicID=15&operation=topic

http://www.students.gov/STUGOVWebApp/index.jsp

--------------------
Should ever be forgot.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order