Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

semi bulk idea? tips? suggestions? experiances? ideas?
    #6209180 - 10/25/06 12:22 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Been reading around alot about coir . Which i just happen to have sitting around anyway. Not to mention my bud's casings aren't exactly Pinning beautifully ATM. Also we have some casings that are recovering from a bacterial contam'd casing layer anywho.

I was thinking about doing a lazy man's monotub type semi bulk grow using coir(read a tek on this on another site that looked very promising.) I'd post it but i don't know if that's allowed without permission?

Say, 1 part spawn , 5 parts coir . one 60 qt rubber maid. and maybe some coffee grounds?

Dunno. it would be my bud's first semi bulk grow. Tho i figure we got some sub that is chillin that we wouldn't die without to experiment with. Sounds like they will pretty much take care of themselves, The tek said the only times the bin needed opening was when harvesting and after pinning to wipe condensation off the side of the tub to reduce the bulk sub's natural RH.

Will coir pin as well as poo without a casing layer?

This would basically be a combination of several coir bulk teks i have read and a tek i read on another site that was basically a mono tub without holes for gas exchange(the pics were beautiful, and the guy only opened the thing a couple times through the whole thing.) Only difference would be that the ones done in said tek was using poo. Would coir have any specific differences from poo that i should know about?

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Much Love

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

-Micheal Franti and Spearhead

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: semi bulk idea? tips? suggestions? experiances? ideas? [Re: Primate]
    #6209213 - 10/25/06 12:38 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like a good plan to me . One which I hope to get around to trying sometime . I have a 25 pound brick of coir laying around somewhere when it was still thought to be a casing material , but not yet a bulk spawn , LMFAO :thumbup: I put it in my storage unit over a year ago , lol .

Or I might just keep hanging on to it until it's next yes is discovered .
Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Loc: So long stinktown
    #6209223 - 10/25/06 12:40 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Spawning to coir instead of poo aren't different in terms of technique between the two. The only difference MAY be the nutrients of poo being better than coir, and that could determine flush... but from the pics I've seen people grow and from my own experience, coir spawns are perfectly fine.

1 to 5 ratio is fine, but make sure the total comes out to about 3" deep overall in that 60 qt tub. Adding spent coffee grounds is a nice bonus for nitrogen.

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

Re: semi bulk idea? tips? suggestions? experiances? ideas? [Re: HippieChick]
    #6209260 - 10/25/06 12:55 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I've also been reading that coir is real good as far as contams go as well.  Just don't know if it will pin without a casing layer.  i tend to think yes since people case with it.  ill search around some more too.

Anyone that has any experience with coir as a bulk sub please feel free to chime in :laugh:  ::cough oatman creamcorn cough::  Or even better lemme pick yer brain a bit about it tom :laugh:

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

Offlineheadieherbs
originalgangster (oflove)
 User Gallery

Loc: around the bend
Re: semi bulk idea? tips? suggestions? experiances? ideas? [Re: zathan]
    #6209269 - 10/25/06 12:59 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry for being off-topic... but

gotta love Franti!

power to the peaceful!

--------------------
please don't take away my highway shoes..

Write In Your Vote.com - US Politics. For the People, by the People.

Everything posted by the user(s) Headieherbs is either an outright lie or a work of complete fiction

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #6209276 - 10/25/06 01:02 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Primate said:
I've also been reading that coir is real good as far as contams go as well.  Just don't know if it will pin without a casing layer.  i tend to think yes since people case with it.  ill search around some more too.

Anyone that has any experience with coir as a bulk sub please feel free to chime in :laugh:  ::cough oatman creamcorn cough::  Or even better lemme pick yer brain a bit about it tom :laugh:

-Prim

I'm sorry . Sometimes my wit goes unnoticed , lol.

Anytime a casing layer made of coir and verm worked and fruited, the coir basically fruited uncased , so I would think that it would only fruit better if you just removed more of the verm , spawned to it , and let it fruit. :wink:

Actually , any colonized cubensis substrate will pin and fruit just fine without a casing layer . :thumbup:

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Invisiblecrackmaniac
Stranger
    #6209313 - 10/25/06 01:28 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I think you may just be casing your substrate with coir. I use 40% coir 60% vermiculite as a casing. i use it for the same reason people use peat (except coir is easier to move around than big bails of peat), peat and coir, to the best of my knowledge, are low or non nutrient soil, when used to grow other plants nutrient is often added and easily leached out of these products. For shrooms its traditionally used as casing beacause the shroom pinns and recieves its nutrient and water from the substate. A CASING is a non nutrient covering that protects the substrate and supplies the substrate with water as it needs it needs it. To answer your question I strongly believe poo is full of nutrients that you wont find in coir. good luck and please let me know how itworks out.

InvisibleToTheExtreme, LOL
That Bug up yourAss
Male

Loc: Where there's fresh powde...
    #6209324 - 10/25/06 01:34 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

this brings up a semi related question with my grow. I'm going to spawn my rye jars to poo. I don't have to case it? will I get more mushrooms if I case it?? How does surface area affect yield???

--------------------

What can I say??? I like this shit!!
You've been slissed!
despisedicon said:
We all know the reasons why 50 Cent and Korn are gay faggots. You suck at life and I'm not talking about the board game fella.

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

Re: semi bulk idea? tips? suggestions? experiances? ideas? [Re: ToTheExtreme, LOL]
    #6209969 - 10/25/06 09:17 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

you will get better pinsets if you case most likely. more total yield? i don't know. probably. Reason i don't plan on "casing" is because this would make the "super lazy man's tek" i am thinking of partially following not so lazy..cause I'd have to keep the casing layer optimal for it to help.

Crackmaniac. from what i read coir is actually pretty darn nutritious. not as much as poo. but i have seen pics of several people using it very successfully as a bulk sub. From my reading it's low on the nitrogen that these shrooms seem to love. which is why people use the coffee grounds with coir. Here's one Oatman2000 did with coir as a bulk sub:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post6004845

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6210055 - 10/25/06 09:47 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Primate said:

-Prim

The only thing I'd chime in here is your spawn ratio.  I've had better results with coir when using higher spawn ratios.  While coir does give some really awesome fruits with relative ease, it seems to putter  out on later flushes - not potency wise, I know that's been mentioned in the past but I've never experienced - but just yield wise.  Coir throws up a massive flush and blows its wad in the first flush on you. :smile:  Using a higher spawn rate means there's more "delayed release" nutrition that seems to support better subsequent flushes.  I dunno, just my observations, I usually get sick pinsets on the first flush anyway so its always rough on the substrate to pump all that out. :smile:  I personally have been using about 1:2... that might be overkill but I usually have spawn to spare... but on the other hand 1:5 is probably stretching your spawn a little thin.  Maybe aim somewhere in between if you can spare some more spawn. :thumbup:

OfflinePrimate
former addict
 User Gallery

Re: semi bulk idea? tips? suggestions? experiances? ideas? [Re: creamcorn]
    #6210103 - 10/25/06 10:09 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

lol thanks CC.  Just the guy i was looking for.  i just sent u a PM actually :smile:

well as far as blowing it's wad in one go that's ok by me.  This is just experimenting/using a sub that had been exposed to contams up anywho.  As far as contams go is 1:5 ratio ok?  i have read somewhere about some guy using as high as 1:7 /w coir.  my only concern is getting the sub layer thick enough using th spawn i have on hand.  i guess if worse comes to worse i can go buy a smaller tub.

-Prim

--------------------
"Power to the peaceful"

Edited by Primate (10/25/06 10:14 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags