Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Dehydrator, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFreeSporePrints
Only Mycelium!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rome, Italy
My first glovebox - FINISHED with pics - [1st of NOvember 2006]
    #6209528 - 10/25/06 06:15 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

A plastic transparent box with the cutted lid and a common plexiglass..need silicone to attach on the lid!

It was a casuality that i decided to put the plexiglass on the lid..but thinking..for me is better set it on the lid that under the lid. With this last set-up bacterias and mold spores can stay between the lid and the plexiglass. In my set-up, imho, i'll have a better rate of success cause bacteria and molds spores will be, out the glovebox. In others terms contaminations will have less chanches to attack the glovebox working area cause they'll have less points to stay. :sun:

cleaning the plexiglass with rubbing alcohol (the fat of the hands doesn't permit the silicone to attack properly)
note: the corners are cutted

pouring the silicone on a imaginary "zig-zag" path along the cutted lid

now the plexiglass in attached with silicone on the lid. press gently for a couples of minutes. the silicone should be homogeneous. if not is the same but check that contaminantes can't fin a way to enter.

note the cut corners, in this way is easy to set the plexiglass into the lid (in the case you have a lid as the mine)

i add more silicone on the top between the plexiglass and the lid.note the silicone gun is perpendicular to the hole between plexiglass and the red lid...in this way the silicone enter perfectly in this "depression"

add another strip of silicone in the bottom of the plexiglass between it and the red lid.

made the 2 holes with a  solder  (unlucky now i've a finger of less :P If you use this option to cut the plastic and the plastic box is transperent use a metal lid or something else to save your glove box from hot plastic drops..in this way the visibility range won't be ruined...this work MUST BE DONE WITH THE HOLE ORIZONTALLY not vertically..) then used 2 holed metal lids for boilers with silicone to attack them at the plastic box. Be sure that the plastic box is really cleaned with rubbing alcohol before attacking the lids.(this kind of lids -2 Euro eachone- are used into the boiler business i believe to link the tubes..they have a lid for the hole too , perhaps used for "dead tubes", very usefull for us bemushroomed :smile: )

The day after with a cutter i've cutted all the silicone in excess (do not lost your time modelling silicone when it's fresh)

before:

then:

added the gloves -around 1 hour and half..a really hard job :laugh:- (note that the last part of the gloves is a bit folded over itself..in this way the gloves will be inserted more easily and the  "fascette"  will keep the gloves better. [ Owl can you translate gently "fascette?" ]

"Fascette" added

finished:

I'd like to thanks all the guys that helped me giving suggestions for my glove box (Owl, micololo2, RogerRabbit and all the others -i've a memory of a red fish sorry..  :rolleyes: -)

--------------------

Edited by FreeSporePrints (11/02/06 04:49 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicololo2
Stranger

Loc: Québec, Canada
Re: My first glovebox - works in progress! [Re: FreeSporePrints]
    #6211168 - 10/25/06 06:26 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hi great amigo

I don't think that having a double cover is a good idea. Humidity can get install between the covers with mold following. More I think it can give you problems.

You don't have to be worry about spores, mold spores or ... you'll clean the box every time before and after you'll use it.

Good luck and have fun

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Only Mycelium!
Male User Gallery

Re: My first glovebox - works in progress! [Re: micololo2]
    #6213019 - 10/26/06 06:16 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hi mico :smile:

perhaps my explanation sux but i don't want to put a double plexiglass. Just want to put it out end not in. When i putted the plexiglass for my fruity chamber and the silicone between the plexiglass and the lid, also if clean with tap water + 10% chlorine i can't reach some corners where the molds were.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #6213058 - 10/26/06 07:01 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Just remember, your glovebox does not need to be sterile. Mold spores don't have legs, so just make sure the air is still and it doesn't matter if a few mold spores or bacteria are inside. They won't be able to get into your sterile work. You don't need to seal it up tight. Just lay the lid on top. Be sure to make it easy to get your jars in and out.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first glovebox - works in progress! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6213079 - 10/26/06 07:17 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

still wiping down the inside of a glovebox with rubbing alcohol does not hurt !

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Only Mycelium!
Male User Gallery

Re: My first glovebox - works in progress! [Re: ohmatic]
    #6213182 - 10/26/06 09:03 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you all for suggestion.

about rubbing alcohol i'm not totally sure, the alcohol is batterystatic and the chlorine is batterycide. Al least the surfaces i prefer to clean woth a 10% of chlorine. What do you think about?

--------------------

Invisiblephalcon005

#6213380 - 10/26/06 11:13 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I use a glove box similar to this for all of my work. I simply spray a liberal amount of lysol into it several minutes before I get started, and often give a quick spray after I've loaded in whatever I'm going to work with (agar to agar transfers, agar to grain, grain to grain, etc). I have less than a 5% contamination rate using this method typically. If I had the cash and space to operate a hepa flow hood I would probably upgrade, but for the time being my glove box has been very kind to me.

One quick plug for still air glove boxes though. Recently I was working with a contaminated culture and successfully isolated it by taking a clean piece of mycelium from the contaminated plate and passing it onto clean plates. It was fairly quick and easy in a still air environment, whereas it would have been more problematic is there was air blowing across all the contaminants.

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Only Mycelium!
Male User Gallery

Re: My first glovebox - works in progress! [Re: phalcon005]
    #6237861 - 11/02/06 04:58 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

updated!

--------------------

Offlinejlocke85
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: MI
    #6238013 - 11/02/06 07:10 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Looks nice. My glovebox only had one or two uses before my silicone around the gloves broke. Maybe I'll do something more like this instead of just duct taping them as a quick fix. Mine is a huge translucent tub, so I never bothered putting a clear lid on it. The way I cut the holes in it wouldn't facilitate ergonomics for changing this either, but works fine as is.

Oh, and "fascettes" = Zip ties or cable ties.

OfflineAcidHorse
No Name No Slogan
Male User Gallery

Re: My first glovebox - works in progress! [Re: jlocke85]
    #6241008 - 11/02/06 09:44 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

No hepa filter? No air pump to pump out the contaminated air?

--------------------
If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse, if you wanna ride, ride the white pony

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Only Mycelium!
Male User Gallery

Re: My first glovebox - works in progress! [Re: AcidHorse]
    #6242118 - 11/03/06 02:14 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

No i don't believe they work for these reason:

1- The HEPA isn't a HEPA filter H14 class, just, good, common filters for vacuum cleaners.
2- The pump pumps out the air, but doesnìt create a depression inside the glovebox, so the air exits from a side but enters (with contaminants) from another. We should seal the entire box and this a expensive option i bet.

On GGMM Paul Stamets affirms that the rain is the best way to sterile the air..and with spraying isopropinol alcohol we do the same thing into. The fog "attacks" the contaminants and let them on the "floor" of the glove box.

A good idea could be use high tall glovebox and works with transfers into the middle of the tall, so the contaminats in the bottom aren't moved by the flow of the hands at works.

--------------------

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Only Mycelium!
Male User Gallery

#6242330 - 11/03/06 04:43 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I'd like upgrade my glovebox making 2 little holes (that i can close with tape) for misting the solution. These little holes will be on the 2 (diagonal) corners.

This prevent the exile of the solution closing the lid of the glove box (note when you open air enters, when you close air exits )

Morover why misting a solution of pure alcohol (or rubbing alcohol?) and not a solution of 10% of chlorine in water?

What do you suggest?

Thank you all :sun:

--------------------

Offlinejlocke85
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: MI
    #6242417 - 11/03/06 07:30 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I was actually wondering if you could use pure (well, 91+%) alcohol for spraying the box, instead of Lysol like everyone else does. To my understanding, Lysol is mostly alcohol. I don't like chemicals like chlorine (and what their manufacturer has done to our watershed here), so prefer not to use them.

The only time I used my previously mentioned glovebox, before I broke it, I didn't both spraying it (was just doing oysters on waste substrates). I thought of experimenting with alcohol in a spray bottle when I do some agar work (sent in a request to FSP), but have you done this before and did it work? I don't see why it wouldn't, unless you couldn't get a fine enough mist of it.

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Only Mycelium!
Male User Gallery

Re: My first glovebox - works in progress! [Re: jlocke85]
    #6242483 - 11/03/06 08:12 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

People commonly use rubbing alcohol too. my question is why alcohol and not chlorine.

Alcohol isn't battericide (but batteristatic) instead chlorine yes!!

--------------------

OfflineOwl
Stranger
Loc: Netherlands
    #6242665 - 11/03/06 10:07 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I use alcohol because it evaporates much quicker then a chlorine solution. You just need a small spray and some paper to wipe the inside with and you have a dry desinfected still air environment.

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Only Mycelium!
Male User Gallery

#6242713 - 11/03/06 10:28 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Spraying, close and wipe it with gloves when the lid is closed?? Shouldn't you wait 10 minutes after spraying?

--------------------

Invisiblephalcon005

#6242923 - 11/03/06 11:54 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

70% alcohol is a more effective cleaner that 90+%. Alcohol dehydrates the exterior of the cells (if I recall correctly) to kill them and the addition of 30% water helps the bacteriocidal benefits of alcohol. I use 70% alcohol to kill bacteria daily at my work, and I work with pretty nasty human pathogens, so I'm a believer.

For a small load of contaminants you might find in a glove box alcohol would be great. For a spill or something you might want to soak the area in lysol or alcohol, wipe area clean, and spray once more to be thorough. I still use a lysol equivalent at home, I can get a can of that stuff for a buck at the Dollar Tree. I'm a sucker for trying to do things on the cheap, but that stuff has proven to be good.

And no HEPA on a glove box. In my mind and opinion a glove box serves as nothing more than a place like my open kitchen, except that I can clean it before hand and be sure that a breeze won't blow in contaminants and they won't fall off of my upper body into my work. In that mind set I have a gloveless glove box, and use a clean table cloth taped above my arm holes that I drapes over my arms to keep out any draft. I sterilize my work space and wash my arms and hands very well and use aseptic technique in the box. I used to have a pic but I must have deleted it off of photobucket, if you really wanted one I could get some this weekend. I simply bought a small tub with a clear bottom for 6 bucks, cut out two small arm holes, and I use it upside down. I lift the whole top up after deconing it to quickly place whatever I'm working on in it and go from there.

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Only Mycelium!
Male User Gallery

#6242941 - 11/03/06 11:59 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

why not?! post here you pic!

--------------------

Invisiblephalcon005

#6243027 - 11/03/06 12:21 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

To be continued, I'll try to get some up soon this weekend. The why not is because I have a crap connection at home and uploading pictures is a bear. I will gladly do it if you're interested though.

One technique I live by might be helpful in this setup. I replicate like crazy. When I first get an isolate I usually put it on as many plates as I can, at least 10 plates and a half a dozen slants if I have them. Again I have a contam here and there, but as long as I have sterile media I'm usually quite set.

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Only Mycelium!
Male User Gallery

#6243140 - 11/03/06 12:54 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

yes i appreciate, knowledge is power! :sun:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Air Pump, Dehydrator, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms