Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJJJJJJ
Seeker of truth
 User Gallery

Couple questions, couple pics.
    #6205160 - 10/24/06 06:34 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Good morning all,

I'm new to the art of mushroom growing and had a couple of questions and observations I thought I'd share.

This was turning into a book so I've decided to put it in point form.

1. Has anyone else had a hard time finding bird seed that did not have peanuts in it?

2. Could someone with a peanut allergy have a reaction from eating a mushroom that was grow on WBS that had nuts?

3. Does anyone else use peroxide in their soaking water for grain?

4. Would boiling the water with peroxide in it completely remove the peroxide?

5. What is the best concentration to use of peroxide to water for misting? and more importantly what are the effect of misting with too high a concentration? I suspect that is what happened here. Not that i was misting the cake, there are casings in the FC. Notice the blue in the top right corner.

6. Sorry for all the questions....here's a pic of some of my crumbled PF tek cakes cased with 50/ver /25 peat / 25 ph balanced rooting soil.
A few of them are just starting to pin.

7. The question here is what the hell happened and is it good or bad??? This is one of my experiments...it's a layer of damp verm, crumbled PF cake, cooked brown rice, then dry verm. I wrapped it in foil and stuffed it in the closet for about 5 days. It had some white fuzz on it the first time i looked at it and at first i thought it was mold and i was F%$ked. I thought i might be able to just scrape it off but when i tried it was coming up from below. I had to work so i left it another day or two then yesterday i scraped off all the fuzz (a few patches) and removed all the excess verm from the top layer. I then misted the surface until moist and placed a clear lid on the tray they left it out on a dresser. When i got home this morning this is what I see....these are my first casings I had a pretty good idea of what to expect from reading about it but I'm not sure what this is....overlay???

Anyways any advice would be appreciated, it's not a test so feel free to just skip questions but they do increase in value as the numbers go up so you will get a higher score if you answer the later questions correctly....just kidding.

Cheers, J

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Couple questions, couple pics. [Re: JJJJJJ]
    #6205189 - 10/24/06 07:05 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Welcome to Shroomery and it's nice to see you experimenting. That's how we learn.

The cake that is blue is under stress. It should not be sitting on all that verm. Note the mycelium leaving the cake and trying to colonize the vermiculite, which has no food for it. I'd suggest cutting the cake away from the vermiculite it's sitting on and slip a tray of some kind under it.

1,2. I don't recall ever seeing peanuts in WBS before, at least not in my area. Mushrooms metabolize their food rather than conduct it into the fruitbody, so I can't imagine any peanut toxins being in a fruit, but there's always a chance part of the substrate could stick to the base, so best to play it safe and not use it. Peanut allergies can be fatal.

3,4. It would be a waste to use peroxide in the soak water for two reasons. One, you want the bacterial endospores to germinate and grow during the soak, so the pressure cooker can kill them. Two, peroxide breaks down very fast in the presence of organic materials, so it would likely do nothing at all anyway. It would be long gone by the time you boil.

5. Don't use peroxide in the mist water. Peroxide injures mycelium, so to use it for a preventative against contaminants might cause the very problem you're trying to avoid by stressing the mycelium, weakening it.

6. Looking good. Keep up lots of air exchange. It also might help to build a shelf to raise those trays off the floor of the unit so they won't drown in their own CO2 between fannings.

7. That would appear to be cobweb mold. Usually it has more of a grey color, but the picture might not be showing it well. Any mycelium that grows that fast and airy, is cobweb mycelium. This is the application for peroxide. Spray the 3% peroxide from the grocery or drug store full strength on it and see if it melts and disappears on contact. Cobweb spreads by breaking off tiny fragments of mycelium and sending them airborne to find new substrates, so watch all your projects for the first signs of it and hit them with full strength peroxide whenever you find it. Just make sure the bottle of peroxide says 3%. Don't use it as a preventative, but use it as treatment to kill cobweb. Good luck.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineJJJJJJ
Seeker of truth
 User Gallery

Re: Couple questions, couple pics. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6205840 - 10/24/06 11:22 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the info RR very helpful.

I checked all over and didn't find mention of nuts anywhere but having a friend who is highly alergic to peanuts made me leary. Just have to find another use for the WBS....it has to be good for something other than mushrooms....

I just chucked those trays, it seems i have discovered a great way to grow green and white mold at the same time.....oh well, you live you learn.

J

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Couple questions, couple pics. [Re: JJJJJJ]
    #6207116 - 10/24/06 04:50 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

JJJJJJ said:
have to find another use for the WBS....it has to be good for something other than mushrooms....

Wild birds seem to like it.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix