Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedelysid_1
journeyman
Pre mixed casing substrate yea!!
    #607448 - 04/13/02 05:28 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

My friend just started casing shit with miracle grow's "aqua coir". It is a blend of coco coir, peat, perlite, and miracle grow. The mycelium just ripps right through this shit and is much healthier than anything that he has seen with 50/50 casings. I have yet to see any fruits using this stuff but he will let me know as soon as he does. I have some casings already birthed that are cased with 50/50- no fruits yet, and I will compare yeilds and health with my aqua coir cased caings.

Anyway try the shit out it seems to work wonders.

--------------------
"Catholic church molestation scandel- the lord works in mysterius ways indeed........"

-delysid_1

Edited by delysid_1 (04/26/02 08:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEastcide
Stranger

Loc: Hell
Re: Pre mixed casing substrate yea!! [Re: delysid_1]
    #607452 - 04/13/02 05:33 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

nice, keep us posted!!!

--------------------
Cold-Brewed Draft since 1978

OfflineAreA
Stranger
    #619194 - 04/26/02 07:25 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Where do you get it ??

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #619277 - 04/26/02 09:04 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

update ?

I found some at Home Depot.
waiting to hear how delysid made out.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinedelysid_1
journeyman
Re: Pre mixed casing substrate yea!! [Re: Roadkill]
    #619866 - 04/26/02 08:45 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, got some info. It will be hard to make a comparison to the casings using 50/50 because he started patching up the mycellium on his 50/50 casings with the aqua coir, and he also remembered that he was using different strains as well. Anyway they all ended up doing pretty well. My friend is a newbie so it is impossible to say whether or not it works better than this or that casing substrate. But it did work. I imagine that it would work well if you added some lime and oyster shell as in the 50/50+ tek. Otherwise everything else that it contains is similar to other very successfull casing recipes I have seen. I also imagine that the miracle grow that it is enriched with would contribute extra nutrients which would make for more flushes. It also contains a "wetting agent" (whatever that is) that I would also guess would add needed moisture to the mycellium.

Anyway it does work pretty well from what he has told me.

--------------------
"Catholic church molestation scandel- the lord works in mysterius ways indeed........"

-delysid_1

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #619887 - 04/26/02 09:09 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

ok

guess i will try it myself.

thanks anyway.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineAreA
Stranger
    #620421 - 04/27/02 01:02 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Home DePoT? hmm, they didnt even have verm at the one local to me... anyways, I am wanting to case my next batch, so I am wondering which of the two should I use?

Plain coco coir (brick) and not mix nothing else in?? maybe some perlite to keep it moist..... since it is known to dry out faster from what I read....

OR

Acua grow? which I dont add nothing, its already got alot in it?

I have a bag of Reed-sedge & Sphagnum peat moss mixed together... could I get a brick of coco and mix it with some of the peat I got?, maybe add lil more coco then the peat mixture?

Also, with the Aqua Coir, they add miracle grow?? would that make a difference?

I hate being kinda new cause I still got questions.. Most of them I search the FAQ and forum for...RoadKiLL, what do you think would be best?

I hear that coco coir is good to culturvate jars with... I was reading about cloning with it. Alot of posts dealing with coco coir / coco husk (are they the same?) talked about if they had to nuke it or not, and alot of ppl just use plain old right off the brick coco to case with...

Offlinedelysid_1
journeyman
Re: Pre mixed casing substrate yea!! [Re: Roadkill]
    #620504 - 04/27/02 02:46 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

"guess i will try it myself.

thanks anyway."

Well if you need a comparison I would say that the flush definately looked better than most of the pictures of casings made by first time growers that I have seen. This was also swids first casing attempt. The casings done with just aqua coir seemed to colonize faster. In fact the next day after casing with aqua coir rhizomorphs could be seen poking there way through on various parts of the casing. The ones that he started out casing with 50/50 seemed to take about about 4 days before any growth was seen. But the problem with my comparisons is that the differences may very well have been due to differences in strain and in depth of the substrate layer.

Anyway hope this helps some.

Oh by the way aqua coir is sold at wallmart. It is actually called miracle grow "moisture control" and then it says "with aqua coir".

--------------------

-delysid_1

Offlinedelysid_1
journeyman
Re: Pre mixed casing substrate yea!! [Re: AreA]
    #620512 - 04/27/02 02:53 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

"Also, with the Aqua Coir, they add miracle grow?? would that make a difference?"

Well I do not know shit about the metabolism of mushrooms to tell you the truth. Miracle grow is just a fertilizer or mixture of nutrients that offers nutrition to plants. Well I am just taking a guess here but if a plant can use it as food I would say it is a decent chance that mushrooms could too. But perhaps the nutrients are not in a form easily metabolized by shrooms.... I am not really sure. But I imagine that it has something that the shrooms can chow on-it can't hurt.

--------------------

-delysid_1

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag