Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBoticelli
Stranger

What to do with these mutants? (photos)
    #6192816 - 10/20/06 10:39 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

These two guys started out as normal pins that sprouted about 5 days ago. (P.Cubensis Cambodian on 1/2pt BRF cakes dunked/rolled). As you can see they don't look exactly normal anymore. The caps have taken a somewhat abnormal shape (the upside down one is not centered on its stem) and their veils, which appeared very thin and wispy, have since torn and disintegrated.

Anyway, my question is: Should I go ahead and pick these guys or let them continue growing?

My main concern about leaving them to do their thing is that they are growing straight to the side such that they are pretty much laying down on the perlite. Obviously I'm not worried that the perlite itself will have any adverse effect on them, but it seems like it might create a greater probability of contamination for mushrooms to be physically resting on the perlite. (is this possible?)

I know mutation can be caused by excessive amounts of cO2, which could have been a problem in my setup. I'm using a semi-automated terrarium with an air pump connected to bubble-strips underneath the perlite. For the first week that this particular cake was in the terr. the air pump was the only method of air exchange. I now realize that the aquarium pump may not have been effectively exchanging air all that time. I've been fanning out manually since I noticed how strange these two mushrooms were growing, so if cO2 buildup was the problem in the first place, it shouldn't be any longer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemushnoon
MushNoob
Male User Gallery
Re: What to do with these mutants? (photos) [Re: Boticelli]
    #6192860 - 10/20/06 10:54 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

my solution to mushrooms growing onto perlite was to wrap about 4 or 5 nickels in some foil and set it under the cake to prop it up, worked fine. Are those cakes sitting directly on the perlite? if so, thats a bad idea. I, personally, would pick them now.

--------------------
I love the feeling when it falls apart. Im slow to finish but im quick to start.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: What to do with these mutants? (photos) [Re: mushnoon]
    #6192867 - 10/20/06 10:56 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Those were ready to pick 24 hours ago. You also need to increase air exchange.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBoticelli
Stranger

Thanks [Re: mushnoon]
    #6193160 - 10/21/06 12:07 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the tip mushnoon. The nickels in foil idea is a good solution, although is there even a problem I need to deal with in the first place?(having mushrooms sitting on the perlite) I was just speculating on the possibility of increased contamination risk, but I don't know why that would be caused by this scenario.

Oh and RR, thanks for your completely irrelevant advice on air exchange. Please read posts entirely before responding to them folks.

Offline5t3v3
sirsmokesalot
Male User Gallery

Re: Thanks [Re: Boticelli]
    #6193187 - 10/21/06 12:16 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

when your cakes sit on the perlite they get waterlogged. how dare you call rogers advice irrelevant. before i saw his post i was going to up your FAE. But i guess you like your fuzzy shit. Dead myc is the way to go these days. Lysol and oust causes mutation too. You got nerve kid. Get your cobweb mold boy.

Offline5t3v3
sirsmokesalot
Male User Gallery

Re: Thanks [Re: 5t3v3]
    #6193218 - 10/21/06 12:23 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

oh yea. light will help your mushrooms grow "up"

OfflinePhive_Sicks
AntiSober

Loc: Quahog, RI
    #6193383 - 10/21/06 01:45 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Oh shit you didn't just bash RR.....for one he did respond to the topic of your post by telling you that you should have picked them 24 hours ago, then he offered additional help by telling you that you need to up your FAE.

Don't be a smart ass when people are trying to help you, especially people with the skill and know how of RR.

--------------------

I beat my dick like it owes me money.

Offline5t3v3
sirsmokesalot
Male User Gallery

Re: Thanks [Re: Phive_Sicks]
    #6193447 - 10/21/06 02:25 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

lol that cookie monster skit was soo fucking funny. made me download that episode cause im too cheap to buy the season. peter does extacy. evil monkey smokes dube. excellent and off topic.

OfflineBoticelli
Stranger

I've got more than nerve [Re: 5t3v3]
    #6193481 - 10/21/06 02:54 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I admit there is a lot I've yet to learn about growing mushrooms, but I'm no kid, and I'm certainly not stupid. I put thought into my post, and I made an effort to include info that was relevant to my question. If I take the time to throw my question out there, I don't think it's too much to ask that a person read the whole post before telling me what I need to do.

When I call tech support with a problem, I hate being told to check if my computer is turned on or not, and when I post a question on the shroomery I prefer to avoid similarly obvious responses. So... I tried to include some info with my question that would address the most obvious reply I expected to get.

Quote:

Boticelli said:
I've been fanning out manually since I noticed how strange these two mushrooms were growing, so if cO2 buildup was the problem in the first place, it shouldn't be any longer.

I was not trying to be rude to RogerRabbit(and I don't think I was particularly). Considering how outraged everyone gets when somebody asks a question that's been answered before, it seems funny to me that it's "relevant advice" to tell somebody to fix a problem that has already been fixed. It's just as much a waste of a post, and just as easily solved by doing a little reading.

Just because somebody has a high post count does not make them infallible, and just because I have a low post count does not mean I'm a complete moron. I always welcome constructive advice even if it's not directly related to my original question. I certainly wouldn't be asking If I didn't want help, however I'm not looking for a rehash of what I already know. If RogerRabbit had taken the time to read my post to the end, I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have advised me to increase my air exchange further. (Unless there's some sort of leaf-blower tek I haven't heard about.)

Anyway, I appreciate the tip about light, but I think I have plenty at the moment. I'm using a fluorescent aquarium light in a hood across the top of my terrar. although I'm sure the mushrooms were still confused about which way to grow with all the light reflecting off the perlite.

OfflinePhive_Sicks
AntiSober

Loc: Quahog, RI
Re: Thanks [Re: 5t3v3]
    #6193483 - 10/21/06 02:55 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Yep, so far thats my favorite all time episode :smile: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------

I beat my dick like it owes me money.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
    #6193518 - 10/21/06 03:33 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

PART of the reason he said increase your air exchange was that you RH was high.
Please read posts fully (and think) before responding, thanks :wink:
I could resist :smirk:

--------------------

Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

Loc: anywhere but here
Re: Thanks [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6193656 - 10/21/06 06:34 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

just because he has a high post count done not mean he knows it all or even anything at all your right BUT this is a big but if you have read rogerrabbits posts and seen some of his work

he is the man (one of them)

RR has helped out tons of people and given some of the best advise on this site. hundreds of people use his advise everyday!!!

the other people on this site that are (the man) also have learned a lot of stuff and have had a lot of help from RR

here you are with a few cakes sitting directly on the perlite (correct me if im wrong) and this is a man that has proly grown every type of edible and ton of active mushies. he has proly used every type of sub there is to use and offers advise that is real ..

i dont know man say what you want but RR is and always will be one of the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
=================================================
if you have any questions please feel free to pm me , thx :-)

Offlinemushnoon
MushNoob
Male User Gallery
Re: I've got more than nerve [Re: Boticelli]
    #6193875 - 10/21/06 09:32 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

yeah ill admit, any of the advice ive given you probably came from one of RRs posts.

--------------------
I love the feeling when it falls apart. Im slow to finish but im quick to start.

InvisibleMrsMe
Stranger

Loc: uuuhhhh....where am I?
Re: I've got more than nerve [Re: mushnoon]
    #6193954 - 10/21/06 10:29 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Damn...snappin at RR?  Don't think that's a very good idea! :jawdrop:

--------------------

"A friend with a cubie, is a friend indeedie!"
"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts."
Will Rogers.

OfflineBoticelli
Stranger

Re: I've got more than nerve [Re: MrsMe]
    #6200043 - 10/22/06 11:09 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Look, I wasn't dissing RR, and I wasn't saying that he isn't skilled or that he hasn't helped lots of people.  I said the advice he gave in this thread was irrelevant, and I would have said that exact same thing to anyone else telling me to increase air exchange, regardless of how many people they've helped, or how many successful grows they've had.

Quote:

Psilocybeingzz said:
PART of the reason he said increase your air exchange was that you RH was high.
Please read posts fully (and think) before responding, thanks :wink:
I could resist :smirk:

The reason makes absolutely no difference, it was still irrelevant because I ALREADY INCREASED MY AIR EXCHANGE.  I think I said that in my original post if I remember correctly.  Obviously when I first started the grow my air exchange was not adequate, which caused the high RH resulting in myc. on the stems and probably caused the mutations as well.  I knew all that BEFORE I POSTED, and I had already switched from the automated aquarium air pump set-up to manual fanning several times a day BEFORE I POSTED.  I knew my air exchange was adequate as soon as I switched to fanning, and I know that it is still adequate now.

The mushrooms in those photos grew while I was out of town, so the damage was already done by the time I got back and realized the problem.  Anyone as experienced as RR (or for that matter anyone with enough experience to think they could answer my question) would know that myc. that has already grown on the stems is not going to magically disappear once the RH is lowered.  I don't care how good at growing you are, you can't see RH in a photo, that's why I mentioned in my post that I had already addressed the air exchange problem, and that's why you should READ POSTS FULLY no matter who you are, or how many people worship you.

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I've got more than nerve [Re: Boticelli]
    #6200240 - 10/23/06 12:16 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Boticelli said:
The reason makes absolutely no difference, it was still irrelevant because I ALREADY INCREASED MY AIR EXCHANGE. I think I said that in my original post if I remember correctly. Obviously when I first started the grow my air exchange was not adequate, which caused the high RH resulting in myc. on the stems and probably caused the mutations as well. I knew all that BEFORE I POSTED...

So just out of curiosity, if you knew that already, why did you bother posting in the first place?

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I've got more than nerve [Re: _OttO_]
    #6200279 - 10/23/06 12:33 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Ok Ok, my bad - you wanted to know whether to pick em, not what caused the mutation.

Fair dues buddy, I suppose when you attack someone for giving you help its easy to get cynical.

So question answered by RR anyway - shouldve picked em ages ago. :thumbup:

Invisiblestudent9
Stranger
Re: I've got more than nerve [Re: _OttO_]
    #6200417 - 10/23/06 01:51 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

_OttO_ said:

So just out of curiosity, if you knew that already, why did you bother posting in the first place?

SO yeah you did mention it so that we'd know what you've done so far. But you asked for advice and help, which RR gave you by reinforcing the changes you made regarding FAE. Do not jump his ass for giving you any information whether asked for or not.

--------------------

Offlinespeeddealer
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6200949 - 10/23/06 08:20 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Boticelli said:
Oh and RR, thanks for your completely irrelevant advice on air exchange. Please read posts entirely before responding to them folks.

Wow, what an asstard....

OfflineGrogan
Shroomieologist
 User Gallery

Re: Thanks [Re: speeddealer]
    #6201134 - 10/23/06 09:21 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Roger Rabit is a mushroom god listen to him.....

--------------------
"Maybe a cow occasionally ate a shroom, but it certainly wouldn't be such a potent shroom that the cow would be trippin balls. " LOL

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck