Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineheadieherbs
originalgangster (oflove)
 User Gallery

Loc: around the bend
Contam from leaving colonized jars in TiT 2 long? please don't put in contams! RRs the only 1 there!
    #6188608 - 10/20/06 01:02 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Is this possible? I've been holding off birthing these little bastards because I don't know if my FC is up to par or not, so anyways, I've been seeing like bluish and green spots, barely visible but I think they're contams, this is my first time so I dunno, only thing is that I've read that fully colonized cakes are good at fighting off contams... I dunno what to think, this ever happened to anyone before? I've seen the shit in 2 of the three jars left..

by the way, the one I just birthed and dunked had a tiny bit of bluish shit on the bottom of the cake I didn't notice til I took it out to dunk.. I dipped a knife in alcohol and cut it off, any chance if it really was contam'd?

:thumbup: or  :thumbdown:

peace and :heart:

--------------------
please don't take away my highway shoes..

Write In Your Vote.com - US Politics. For the People, by the People.

Everything posted by the user(s) Headieherbs is either an outright lie or a work of complete fiction

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contam from leaving colonized jars in TiT 2 long? please don't put in contams! RRs the only 1 th [Re: headieherbs]
    #6188644 - 10/20/06 01:06 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

blue is often bruising, which can happen to colonized cakes.  it happens more frequently if the cake is dry, or has been left for a bit after its reached 100%... and of course can happen where you handle it.  it will also happen frequently towards the end of a flush on cakes, again because of dryness since all the moisture was just pumped into fruits, the dried mycelium shrinks and literally bruises itself.

the q-tip test gives you an idea, gently rub the area with a moist q-tip and see... if the blue/green rubs off and onto the qtip, its a contaminate, if it doesn't, it was just bruising.

this really does belong in the contam forum and RR will probably be the one to move it.  its not that he's the only one there, its that he's the one with most of the answers, and you should be pleased to see if he has something to chime in. :smile:

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contam from leaving colonized jars in TiT 2 long? please don't put in contams! RRs the only 1 there! [Re: headieherbs]
    #6188664 - 10/20/06 01:09 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Very well could be contams . :frown:

A good way to tell with cakes is to rub the suspected spot with a Q-Tip after removing from the jar . If the spot rubs off , it's a contam spores , bluing from dehydration won't rub off .

While colonized sub is pretty contam resistant , it's not invincible . Leaving in a jar too long could lead to the build up of mycelium waste which can open the door to contams .

It is possible to remove contamed portions of a cake and still get fruit from the remaining piece . The yield will more then likely be less then stellar due to the loss of nutrients to the removed contam . It had to grow off something .

Good Luck

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contam from leaving colonized jars in TiT 2 long? please don't put in contams! RRs the only 1 there! [Re: HippieChick]
    #6188707 - 10/20/06 01:16 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Another good test is to look closely at the spot. Blue from bruising will be the color of the mycelium. Green from trichoderma will be above the mycelium as a distinct layer. You can really see this well with a magnifying glass.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineheadieherbs
originalgangster (oflove)
 User Gallery

Loc: around the bend
Re: Contam from leaving colonized jars in TiT 2 long? please don't put in contams! RRs the only 1 there! [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6188795 - 10/20/06 01:34 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

word. thanks all. I don't have Q-tips or a magnifying glass cause I just moved in here about the time I reged and because I'm poor and I only steal q-tips from my girlfriend when I'm at her apartment and I ain't no sherlock holmes :grin: but anyways, the bluing on the just dunked cake might have very well been bruising, although the cake hadn't been handled before I spotted the bluishness... it had been left in the TiT about a week too long (after it was totally white + 3 days + a week after that) but anyways it wasn't really on the surface of the myc, it was kinda buried a lil bit with a bit of whiteness over top of it, either way it was two tiny ass spots and I eradicated both of them with the knife.. the only green I've seen is another tiny spot on this other jar, it's still in the TiT, inside a baggie now, I'm watchin that little punk, that jar also has a blue spot (maybe, I need a magnifying glass) and that's it, the green may even turn out to be blue.. I really need to gank the girlfriends camera, I realize this a picture of a contam is worth 10 million words trying to describe one... well thats enough for now, thanks for replying to the most actively posting noob in the damn universe once again!

--------------------
please don't take away my highway shoes..

Write In Your Vote.com - US Politics. For the People, by the People.

Everything posted by the user(s) Headieherbs is either an outright lie or a work of complete fiction

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation