Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIgnatius
Stranger

Loc: Prague, Czech Republic
Fact or urban legend re: philosopher stones from Amsterdam?
    #6185162 - 10/19/06 05:28 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I've read a few posts by people proclaiming that sclerotia aka Magic Truffles or philosopher stones in Amsterdam contain a specially added bacteria which prevents cloning.  I can understand the economics - by preventing cloning users are encouraged to buy the pricey Mexicana spores, but seriously, this sounds like a big boatload of crap.  How could bacteria inhibit growth in an lc when they couldn't inhibit in a substrate? Until one of the big dogs on this board confirms or denies I'll give it a go. 

So here they are are, straight from A'dam -- 221 grams of love in the pic  :thumbup: and I would like to know - "to clone or not to clone".

--------------------
The book says, we might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Fact or urban legend re: philosopher stones from Amsterdam? [Re: Ignatius]
    #6185172 - 10/19/06 05:39 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Urban myth I guess. I never heard it. Clone away. Bacteria is always a problem with cloning any fungi, regardless of species. Use antibiotic agar and wash the cultures with iodine before placing on the agar.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineIgnatius
Stranger

Loc: Prague, Czech Republic
Re: Fact or urban legend re: philosopher stones from Amsterdam? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6185210 - 10/19/06 06:11 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks RR. So help me out. I've got this dreadful looking stone in my hand. I'm supposed to slice it open (in my glovebox), remove the meaty white tissue in the middle, and clean it a bit in H2O2?

--------------------
The book says, we might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Fact or urban legend re: philosopher stones from Amsterdam? [Re: Ignatius]
    #6185773 - 10/19/06 10:18 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

No. With gloved hands, break it in half, don't slice. Slicing with a knife carries contaminants from the surface into the middle. With the virgin territory exposed in the middle of the stone, use a razor sharp scalpel blade to cut a tiny piece out of the center of the stone no larger than a grain of rice. Place this on agar. Repeat several times for each dish. The more clones you take, the better your chances of one of them taking off. Iodine will help to clean the outside of the stone before you start work, but don't use any on the piece you transfer, and don't use peroxide either.

As soon as you see growth, transfer it away from the original petri dish to a new one. If you see several growths, transfer each to a new dish to grow out. This way, if mold or bacteria begins to grow, it will get isolated in it's own petri dish to be identified and tossed out later. Hopefully, one of your dishes will have mushroom mycelium growing from the stone. Good luck.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds