Home | Community | Message Board

Myco.ca - Spores & Cultivation Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
"Stop thinking so much!"
    #6183143 - 10/18/06 06:04 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Has anybody else heard this? Personally it really annoys me. I can't remember how many times I've heard it or people say "stop over-analyzing!". All my life I have been constantly thinking and analyzing things and it has been pretty central to my personality. I am a very intellectual and verbal person and like to theorize, understand and conceptualize. It seems like most people believe that everybody by nature doesn't (and shouldn't) think very much and that if I am thinking alot it's because I forgot to flip this magical switch that turns thinking and analysis on and off. I really feel like other people don't really understand, and from my own perspective they may seem too impulsive, emotional or thoughtless. I don't know whose view I should accept.

At the same time they do have a point that my thoughts can create hangups and obsessions that really get in the way of things, or make it hard to relate to people because I am so absorbed introspectively. I don't know how to negotiate feeling confidant in my own identity and the change I need to make because it seems so many people can't understand where I am comming from and expect me to become a completely different person. They can't really relate and thus I don't know whether I really ought to listen. Moreover, even if I should listen, others lack of understanding makes it so that nobody can actually tell me how to go about not thinking as much.

Can anybody relate or help me understand this?

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: "Stop thinking so much!" [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #6183173 - 10/18/06 06:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
They can't really relate and thus I don't know whether I really ought to listen. Moreover, even if I should listen, others lack of understanding makes it so that nobody can actually tell me how to go about not thinking as much.

Ha, I think I <3 you man, guy or gal. That was so well said. I understand 100% and the only solution I've found is new friends.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #6183739 - 10/18/06 09:04 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I think that you're putting too much thought into this.  :smirk:

Invisibletakk
Stranger
Male
    #6183890 - 10/18/06 09:47 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

hehe, don't worry man - there's nothing to worry about lol
it just shows that your friends find themselves uncomforable with the difference between their personal ideas of you and who you actually are - imo this just makes you a more interesting person and they should just shut up and let you think! You are who you are, and why would you want to change that for anyone :smile:

and as fred sed, try approaching new and different people to be friends with. worst thing that could happen is you'll have another person you can talk to if you need some help around the place :wink:

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: "Stop thinking so much!" [Re: takk]
    #6184417 - 10/19/06 12:02 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

2 + 2 = 5

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6184637 - 10/19/06 01:15 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The next time someone says this to you tell them, "Stop feeling so much."

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: "Stop thinking so much!" [Re: zorbman]
    #6185283 - 10/19/06 09:12 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, I have heard this from many people my whole life. Then later, I realized that they were telling me something of innate wisdom.

--------------------
...or something

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: "Stop thinking so much!" [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #6185304 - 10/19/06 09:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
I think that you're putting too much thought into this.  :smirk:

Heh. Sometimes this forum has threads that seem to be about the basic functions of life...this one falls into that category.

I think about it in terms of baseball (like I do so many other facets of life)...any baseball player will tell you they are accomplishing their greatest feats when they aren't thinking about them, when they've achieved a certain flow in their game and they go up to the plate really not thinking, just doing and reacting.

Thing is, of course, you get to that level only after a lot of struggling and thinking...it comes in waves...that's why baseball players, like human beings, are streaky.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: C-137
    #6185338 - 10/19/06 09:52 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I can completely relate.  I guess it all boils down to my will to produce the best possible outcome when presented with a given situation.  My brain starts crunching away and sometimes I get caught up in that overanalytical whirlwind.  Sometimes it's healthy to completely wring something out, but most of the time go with your gut. :thumbup:

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Ca...
    #6185533 - 10/19/06 11:02 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I hear it a lot, too, and IMHO it's excellent advice. Most thoughts that go through our heads are absolutely useless and destructive. They batter us around, distort our perceptions and make bad decisions for us.

The mind, if left to its own devices, takes over, and (in my experience) prevents one from perceiving anything outside of one's head. You have to be aware of when the mind is babbling on and on (which is usually the 'default setting').

For example, when just meet someone and an impression of that person forms in your mind, ask yourself whether you are perceiving that person or merely perceiving your thoughts about them.

Think of the mind as powerful tool; one that you can pick up when you need to solve a problem with it, and put down when the job is done. Easier said than done, of course, but meditation practice is key to understanding how to do that.

Quote:

I don't know how to negotiate feeling confidant in my own identity and the change I need to make because it seems so many people can't understand where I am comming from and expect me to become a completely different person.

I've found that the less I think, the happier I am. Thoughts have the power to stress a person out at any time, when nothing actually even happened to them, they just thought about something needlessly.

I am a habitual overthinker, and I know that it's my greatest flaw.

Whether you need to think less or not depends on whether you are genuinely happy with yourself or your life. If you can feel deep contentment and still think as much as you do, then who gives a shit what other people say about thinking? Everyone is different, but I can tell you that people telling you to "not think so much" would not annoy you if you didn't think so much.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: "Stop thinking so much!" [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6187050 - 10/19/06 05:48 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:
I am a habitual overthinker, and I know that it's my greatest flaw.

This is also true, so it's a double edged sword. You can say "fuck them" when they say that, but they are also right much of the time. Overthinking is not a good thing.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
    #6187195 - 10/19/06 06:25 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You cam also look into the possiblity if seeing a behavior therapist.

Stay away from the anti-depressants, mood-stabalizers, etc for a while though if they try those as a first response.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Re: "Stop thinking so much!" [Re: mndfreeze]
    #6187415 - 10/19/06 07:42 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Einstein was an 'over-thinker'. In other words, he was able to analyze things and put alot of energy into doing so.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: "Stop thinking so much!" [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #6188015 - 10/19/06 10:59 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

id rather think too much than not enough. it has more stress, but gives you knowledge of self. I see non-thinkers as lazy.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlineabsinthe_tek
Ex-cultivator
Male

Loc: USA
    #6188034 - 10/19/06 11:06 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Wow. I can't understand why any of you would think that thinking is a negative trait. It also gets under my skin to hear someone say 'stop thinking so much'. When I hear that from someone it shocks me. I can't believe anyone could consider not thinking a positive thing.

Divided_Sky, please keep in mind that while you may feel introverted all of the time, it may just be that you have no real intellectual equals surrounding you in your real life. Your friends may just alienate you somewhat and try to negate the value of your mind because of their own subconscious feelings of inadequacy. This is especially true if you display your intelligence too much.

InvisibleClean
the lense
Male User Gallery

#6188035 - 10/19/06 11:06 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

There should be no limits to thought. The brain is rather heavy, and we do carry it around on our necks all the time, so we should at least use it.

I think sometimes people who say this should really be saying don't worry so much. But if they admit they really prefer to limit their thinking, that is an excellent opportunity for you to reconsider spending your time with them.

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: "Stop thinking so much!" [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #6188040 - 10/19/06 11:08 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Please note I did not say nor believe there is something wrong with overthinkers. The problem only arises when it cripplies your daily function. I suggested behavior therapy more to learn to cope and handle how you go about it, and look at it, then to dumb it down as a bad trait.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..

Offlineabsinthe_tek
Ex-cultivator
Male

Re: "Stop thinking so much!" [Re: kotik]
    #6188083 - 10/19/06 11:15 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup:kotik, I totally agree.  I even think that an individual's level of intelligence may, to some degree, correspond to unhappiness and certainly loneliness if that individual cannot find adequate intellectual peers.

Oh, and by the way, please do not assume by my posts in this thread, that I think of myself as intellectually superior to others.

Offlineabsinthe_tek
Ex-cultivator
Male

Re: "Stop thinking so much!" [Re: mndfreeze]
    #6188128 - 10/19/06 11:24 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

OK mndfreeze. For a second I thought you were 'one of them'. I totally agree with your attitude towards using anti-depressants and similar drugs to deal with this issue. I am wary of taking a drug that affects my mind for an extended amount of time. I will take psychedelics, but I would not want to be in that altered state all of my waking day for the rest of my life (or any substantial part of it for that matter).

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: "Stop thinking so much!" [Re: absinthe_tek]
    #6188175 - 10/19/06 11:31 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

in defense of the "stop thinking so much" statement, it does have it's time and place.  for instance, sometimes you have to free your mind, because it gets so full of clutter and unfinished thoughts, that it's a good thing to just "stop thinking"  Everyone at one time or another had something at the tip of their tongue, but didn't remember it until a few hours later, when it was the farthest from your mind.  In this case, it's not really a lack of thinking, rather the mental processes moved to the subconcious, where things are done more efficiently.  :smile:

but obviously, certain people say it at inappropriate times.  just take pity on them and don't take it personal  :smile:

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder