Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedalorean
Loc: AZ
green shit in jars!!! noooooo!!!!
    #616852 - 04/23/02 09:49 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

out of my 7 pf jars, i see little small bloches off green in ALL of them!!! what the fuck! i put lids on rubber down, taped holes, boiled in water for like an hour, cooled, removed tape inoculated, replaced tape, and almost 10 days later after they are successfully whitening, i find small green shit. even w/ just the slightest amount, i must throw away right? is there any hope for my jars? damn!! all this time wasted!!!!!! i'm so unhappy w/ this. is there any sign of hope out there????

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSWiTtles
Loc: looks like a hand
Re: green shit in jars!!! noooooo!!!! [Re: dalorean]
    #616869 - 04/23/02 10:01 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

definately ditch em. where did you get the syringe from? any chance it was contaminated. what was the subsrate? I currently use Birdseed, brown rice, brown rye flour, and vermiculite (w/ a dry verm top of the jar) and boil/steam (aka pasturize) for 1 hour 20 min. I've had jars I didn't have enough syringe for got months with out being innoculated and still no infection

--------------------
"one day we'll be able to model your brain as a mathmatical equation. since the number of equations possible for the human species is NOT infinate, we will ALL live again"
-Me

Offlinedalorean
Re: green shit in jars!!! noooooo!!!! [Re: SWiTtles]
    #616889 - 04/23/02 10:33 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

not fair man!!!! i used pf tek w/ home ground brown rice. could be syringe, but don't know. just so agrivating! all this time for nothing! such a waste. i didn't pressure cook. that might be one reason, but i read about people boiling in reg pot w/ no probs whatso ever. i'll pressure cook next time. i think i did the jars up wrong by sealing them and replacing the tape over holes after taking them off. then taking them off again later after finding out jars need to breath. i think i just handled the jars too much. i also would like check on them more than once a day, some times more than twice. plus changing thier location once. would i be better off using strait brwn rice(9er tek) over the pf tek? cuz all i have to deal w/ is reg brown rice, and i have no coffee grinder so i have to grind the bitches in our pepper grinder!

OfflineTeRzMaStA
Psilocybin Pimp

#616895 - 04/23/02 10:49 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

That sucks. Fuck the green! Well you can try cuttin it out, but I'd just start over. Next time use a pc, and don't fuckin look at your jars twice a day and move them and shit. Check on them like once a week. Trust me. The more you look at them or touch them the greater the risk of contamination.

--------------------
Think for yourself; Question Authority

Offlinedalorean
Re: green shit in jars!!! noooooo!!!! [Re: TeRzMaStA]
    #616903 - 04/23/02 11:18 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

well i'm gonna let the jars keep going just to see what happens, who knows. hopefully the green will be conquered, cuz there is like only one or two vermiculite peices that show green. nothing really bad...yet, anywho. so i'll just re-try all this again, use the pressure cooker(don't know why i didnt use it this time, just lazy i guess), and i'll handle as little as possible. thanks for the help. still open for other opinions. i aint giving up on my jars yet. i'm feeling good w/ at least one of them.

OfflineWoollyRat
herbivore
Loc: Scandinavia
    #616972 - 04/24/02 12:54 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

If the green spots don?t grow, they could be just vermiculite caught in a weird light. It has made my heart race a few times. Give your jars a chance. Separate them, the good from the bad, and leave them for a few more days.

Good luck

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------
What did the Budhist say to the hotdog vendor?
- Make me One with everything!

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #616973 - 04/24/02 12:55 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

just ditch them and start over.....sorry
your just gonna get more bummed when the green takes over the whole jar.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleWakingUpLate
addict
Loc: Born on a mountain, Raise...
    #617152 - 04/24/02 07:32 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

On your next try I'd suggest inverting the lids. Just my opinion
but I think completely sealed jars could cause them to stagnate
but I could be wrong.
Also, when you go to dump them, if you're not careful, the
spores from the green shit can go everywhere. It would
probably be a good idea to inject alcohol to kill the green and
the spores before you dump em. Take em out away form the
house before you even open them, don't breath any of the
nasties coming out of the jars. Steralize your jars and hands
with alcohol before returning to contaminate the door knob.
Hang in there, and better luck next time. PM me if you want
some spores.
:peace:
Free Spore Ring

--------------------
The rest of those, who have gone before us,
cannot settle the unrest of those who follow.
(Finding Forrester)

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
Re: green shit in jars!!! noooooo!!!! [Re: WakingUpLate]
    #617232 - 04/24/02 09:37 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

and a pressure cooker is not neccessary with brf/verm pf jars. so if you boiled for and hour and taped the holes and the seal was otherwise not breeched then you can safely eliminate the sterilization process as the culprit.
i would start over with new jars but not chuck these so quickly. keep your eye on them for a couple more days. when a more experienced grower spots contams he can safely through it out immediately but i think the novice mistakenly identifies contamination some of the time and throughs away perfectly good substrate. if it doesn't grow then i agree with the above poster...it may just be verm in a odd position. i did the same thing my very first attempt. i thought i had contamination and did not.
but when you make your new jars do not keep then in the same place as these jars just in case it is contams. if the spot grows, throw them out immediately

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

Offlinedalorean
Re: green shit in jars!!! noooooo!!!! [Re: XAZIA]
    #617396 - 04/24/02 01:29 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

i only have 7 jars to work w/. already threw out 2(know for sure tey were yucky), so i really cant start until i get more jars anywho. plus i gotta go shopping for more vermiculite. so start w/ the lids upside down? do i screw lid on tight? or have it semi-loose? don't understand this part. cuz air needs to circulate, right? but open lids is also open for contaminates. dont' get it. well, i'll keep yall posted on whats happening w/ my jars. i feel kinda good w/ it. i'll see what happens. thanks to all. if there was some karma giving here, i'd give all of you double dosage! peace to all.
dalorean

InvisibleWakingUpLate
addict
    #617428 - 04/24/02 02:08 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

With the lid screwed tight, the metal against glass doesn't make
a perfect seal, but lets very little air in. Hopefully what contamns
that get by will burrow into the verm only layer and starve to
death before it gets to the substrate. This is why it is important
to wipe any substrate off the tops of the jars before the verm
only layer is added.
Usually the top of the substrate will colonize quickly. After
that, is is harder for the contamns to attack from the lids.
At about this time, (about half way)the CO2 is starting to build
up a little to much. So you pull the tape and flip the jars to
allow the CO2 to drain (since it is heavier).
You can also loosen the lid, this will speed it up even more,
but will also slightly increase risks.
Hope that helps.
Free Spore Ring

--------------------
(Finding Forrester)

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
    #617433 - 04/24/02 02:15 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

when you are preparing to sterilize your jars, you want to place them in the pot with the lids screwed on but left loose. after sterilization first thing is to immediately tighten lids all the way.

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

InvisibleWakingUpLate
addict
    #617462 - 04/24/02 02:54 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Nice catch Xazia, I forgot about that.
Free Spore Ring

--------------------
(Finding Forrester)

Offlinedalorean
    #617644 - 04/24/02 05:53 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

ooooh. i learn more and more from you guys! hooray! some day i shall be the stallion of sterility! i yet am still a pony of pests! today i bout some vermiculite and i shall grind up my brown rice in my pepper grinder and create the sequel of substrates! i hear its best to mix per jar, instead of all at once, to get better accuracy w/ moisture content. is this true or is this bluff? a begginer shall never know w/ all this stuff. i am almost prepared to leap into my next journey. i must focus and prepare. gather info people share. thanx to you who show you care.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #617699 - 04/24/02 07:07 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

In reply to:

i only have 7 jars to work w/. already threw out 2(know for sure tey were yucky), so i really cant start until i get more jars anywho.

You do know you can reuse your jars? Or by jars, did you mean the substrate inside of the jars?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Re: green shit in jars!!! noooooo!!!! [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #618185 - 04/25/02 08:33 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

i had suggested to her to keep those jars to watch and start a new batch and she was explaining that she only has 7 jars and can't do that.

but dolorean...how do you only have 7 jars? mason jars come in sets of 12. are you using a different kind of jar? this may be the reason for your contamination problems if you are.

--------------------

Bob Marley

Offlinedalorean
    #618410 - 04/25/02 12:53 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

dude, Xazia, im a guy, man. that hurt. that hurt real bad.(but i luv you anyways:)). these jars i have are ones i gathered from around the house. yes they are all 1/2 pint mason jars. my mom was a canner so i get down w/ that shit. but i had thoroughly washed them out. i kept two jars. the rest i know for sure was contamination. green fuzzy that penetrated deep into the cakes. so i washed out all of them(found another jar w/ jelly in it!). so i had 6 clean 1/2 pints that last night i pressure cooked for an hour, let sit over night, and this morning i inoculated them. w/ the rest of my south american. officially out of syringe juice. relying on these to pull through. stored them in a tupperware container and will open once a day to refresh air. did what you said bout upside down loose lids for cooking, first thing i tightened them and inoculated through the tape after flame sterilizing the needle for every 3 jars. got the sterilite container nice and clean w/ disinfectant. this so far sounds like a damn good start from last time. any other info or hints will be much appreciated. thanks for standing by and helping me accomplish this mess! peace.
daloreanus

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
    #618442 - 04/25/02 01:33 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

sorry bout that...
after you innoculated through tape did you re-tape the hole the needle made?
and do not open once a day. at this stage they do not need fresh air. quitethe contrary. the co2 build up stimulates vegetative growth. don't look at the jars every day check em once a week.

--------------------

Bob Marley

Offlinedalorean
    #618567 - 04/25/02 04:22 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

no, i did not retape holes. but the double layered tape that was over the hole retracted when i pulled out the needle, and kinda practically "retaped" itself. make sense? so i just left it. don't want to touch them at all! that box is secured to exsist in hybridnation for a week or so. thanks for the tips, all. i feel real good about this one.
the other 2 jars are growing good, one has a small green spot, i'm afraid she's going down too. but the other one is just fine, but is the slowest growers out of the dying bunch. first attempt was wacked. but i feel like so much wiser, and prepared, and this time we got the mofo. thanks again. i'll keep ya posted on this one for sure. cuz its gonna happen, damnit

Invisiblemrdasani
enthusiast
    #618586 - 04/25/02 04:50 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

If u didn't already dump out the jars, just keep in mind that the green mold has airborne spore pockets. If u dump it out, a maybe visible or most likely invisible cloud of spores is gonna be set free. You want to be wise in where u dump it. Outdoors is a very good idea...if indoors, it might lead to more contaminations of jars, and possibly your perishable foods if done in the kitchen.

--------------------
"Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!" - Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here 1975)

"Never underestimate the power of denial." -from American Beauty.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract