Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Books: The Thread About Them
    #6164992 - 10/13/06 08:39 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I'm in the mood to geek out about books. I went to the bookstore two days ago and bought foor books:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
by Mark Haddon (Reading it now and loving it)
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Three Nights in August by Buzz Bissinger
Discipline and Punish by Michel Foucault

I can't wait to read the Foucault book, it's all about the way prisons have changed and the reflection of a society in its prison systems.  In it he talks about how we now torture the soul rather than the body in our penal systems. (hehehe, I said penal! :crazy2:)

Books I just recently finished but can't recommend enough!:

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Other Voices, Other Rooms also by Truman Capote
The Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen (if you like U.S. history)

I really want to find a good biography of Buffalo Bill...

Where do you buy your books? Is there a small bookstore where you live that you patronize, or do you go straight to Barnes & Nobles or Borders?  I have to admit I bought my 4 aforementioned books at B&N though I usually like to go to a small shop called Shakespeare & Co.  But sometimes, I just love getting lost in B&N.

:goodmorning:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Books: The Thread About Them [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #6165006 - 10/13/06 08:44 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I steal most of my books from my boyfriend's step-father.  He has a whole library room, and there's more books than i could ever imagine there.  1st editions of old books, stuff like that.  There's even some notes from Presidents and whatnot, it's really an interesting place to browse when I'm bored!

Right now I'm reading "The Bookseller of Kabul" by Asne Seierstad.  The author went and lived with a family in Afghanistan for 3 months, and it's a blunt portrayal of everyday life there.  I'm really enjoying it. 

I finished "Marley and Me" not too long ago, and it was amazing.  Every dog lover should read it  :heart:

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Male

Re: Books: The Thread About Them [Re: Liz]
    #6165007 - 10/13/06 08:45 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Buying books is an unhealthy addiction of mine. I certainly can't afford to, but I get off on adding things to my bookshelves.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
    #6165010 - 10/13/06 08:46 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I hear ya!  You shoudl come visit sometime and check out the library...i can see you completely ignoring us and spending hours in that room :lol:

The ceilings are about 30 feet high, and the shelves go from the floor to the ceiling...and they're all filled.  :thumbup:  I don't think I read fast enough to ever get to them all unfortunately.

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Male

Re: Books: The Thread About Them [Re: Liz]
    #6165012 - 10/13/06 08:48 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Liz said:
You shoudl come visit sometime and check out the library...i can see you completely ignoring us and spending hours in that room

on acid

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
    #6165014 - 10/13/06 08:48 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Penal... hehehe

A few weeks ago I made a post about this 'discworld' thing that I heard about. A couple people said it was good (including toiletduk) so I decided to read one.

I go to the book store and there are like thirty books there about DISCWORLD... so I just picked one. It was about Omnia, called "Small Gods".

Started out good, but it was a little silly in the middle, thought the end was also good. I wouldn't really reccomend it though.

Male

Re: Books: The Thread About Them [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #6165021 - 10/13/06 08:51 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Yeh, I'm not crazy about Terry Pratchett. If you like Neil Gaiman though (and I looooooooove Neil Gaiman) he and Pratchett collaborated on a book called Good Omens.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Invisiblepeepeepottypants
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6165022 - 10/13/06 08:54 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I often get my books from barnes and nobles

But there is a book trader by where I work, a nice cheap quaint little store with so many books that about half of the collection cant fit the bookshelves

I never have anything to trade though, because I give my books away.

InvisibleTrav
Stranger

#6165026 - 10/13/06 08:58 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I've been buying books on Ebay recently because I sold some things and ended up with some extra money in my paypal account. I've recently picked up: The Handbook to Higher Consciousness by Ken Keyes, On the Road by Jack Kerouac, and Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac. I also bought a Prayer For Owen Meany because I saw a thread where you were talking about it. I'm almost finished with the Handbook to Higher Consciousness and will start up Owen Meany as soon as it arrives.

When I do buy books from a book store it's usually Barnes and Noble because it's the closest to me and has a huge selection.

Invisiblecarshissbymywinda
 User Gallery
    #6165027 - 10/13/06 08:58 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I usually go to the library, sometimes I'll spend a day there, they have a great selection of books and they will order any book in for you and best of all it's free :grin:
There's no bookstore here but when I go to one it's usually Chapters

Male

Re: Books: The Thread About Them [Re: Trav]
    #6165031 - 10/13/06 08:59 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Trav said:
I also bought a Prayer For Owen Meany because I saw a thread where you were talking about it.

Maaaan you bought that book at the PERFECT time of year. It's a great autumn/winter book. :smile: I hope you like it.

pictureperfect: I really need to get a new library card and take advantage of that place.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Offlinebrainlessjon
Stranger
Male

Loc: Missouri
Re: Books: The Thread About Them [Re: peepeepottypants]
    #6165033 - 10/13/06 09:01 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I'm on the 3rd book of the wheel of time. I just bought American Gospel by Jon Meacham. American Gospel is about how religion shaped the founding of America. The wheel of time is just a fantasy novel.

Invisiblecarshissbymywinda
 User Gallery
    #6165036 - 10/13/06 09:03 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
pictureperfect: I really need to get a new library card and take advantage of that place.

yes you do! it's heaven, so quiet and peaceful and full of books :heart: :thumbup:

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #6165076 - 10/13/06 09:16 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

i usually buy books from barnes and noble or amazon. i'm not even aware of any small time book stores around here actually.

i've been on a "end of the world" kick for a little while and have been reading most of the classics in the genre. i read Lucifer's Hammer which was awesome, and i just finished up On The Beach which was pretty good too. Next i'm going read a new EotW book that's actually currently on the best seller list called The Road. It's apparently very very good. Then i'm going to read Swan Song which is another nuclear holocaust themed book that is supposed to be a good one. What can i say...i love novels. :shrug: all though i am reading State of Denial on the side it smaller doses.

Male

Re: Books: The Thread About Them [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #6165079 - 10/13/06 09:17 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I can't read more than one book at once. FUcks my head up.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #6165090 - 10/13/06 09:22 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

i usually don't do it but since the books are so different it's not so bad. i concentrate on the novels but read the other one when i feel like a change of pace.

InvisibleBurke Dennings
baby merchant

#6165155 - 10/13/06 09:52 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I thought of ziddy the whole time as I was reading 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time'. Aspies and shit.

Male

Re: Books: The Thread About Them [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #6165240 - 10/13/06 10:20 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Did you finish up Devil in the White City? Not enough murder, IMO.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleBurke Dennings
baby merchant

#6165276 - 10/13/06 10:28 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I got like halfway through it and put it down for now. I like architecture (somewhat), and I'm pretty familiar with Chicago, but I was really hoping for more grisly bits. I'm not sure if I plan on finishing it.

Male

Re: Books: The Thread About Them [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #6165288 - 10/13/06 10:32 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Well if that's the case then yes, let me tell you, you will be teased and teased to no end about Dr. Holmes, only to receive as gratification one long chapter at the close of the book summing up Dr. Holmes' story, with very little grisly detail. I bought the book expecting to want to read more about serial killers (well, I do - any suggestions?) but more than anything it made me want to go to Chicago, big time.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates