Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Why Gridlock needs to occur...............
    #6153622 - 10/10/06 10:12 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I have said it a million times. I am no Democrat, but I hope they pick up seats to stop this spending atrocity of the Bush Administration. This is the first time since the Nixon administration, that the Executive branch and the Houses are one in the same as far as party affiliation. Here we go:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-hope08oct08,0,3230053.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Investigation shows FEMA spent millions on puppet shows, bingo, yoga

By Sally Kestin
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted October 8 2006

At the Pinitos Learning Center in Boca Raton, disaster workers dressed as "Windy Biggie" and "Sunny" teach 30 preschoolers a song about how the wind is good, even during a hurricane.

"Windy Biggie is our friend.

"Windy Biggie is strong wind.

"She turns, turns, turns, turns around.

"She's knocking things to the ground."

This is FEMA tax money at work. It's also paying for Hurricane Bingo, puppet shows, "salsa for seniors," and yoga on the beach.

Last year, the Federal Emergency Management Agency awarded Florida $22.6 million for "crisis counseling" for victims of hurricanes Wilma and Katrina.

Florida's program, called Project H.O.P.E. -- Helping Our People in Emergencies -- is still in operation with about 450 workers across the state who spend much of their time leading games and performing shows for groups of residents -- regardless of whether they're in crisis or even experienced the storms, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel has found.

The program, funded by FEMA but run by Florida's Department of Children & Families, is supposed to identify victims and help them recover from the "psychological aftermath" of the storms by providing emotional support and referrals for food, clothes and services.

But Project H.O.P.E. officials say they've had trouble locating victims because FEMA refuses to provide names or addresses of those who have sought disaster aid, citing confidentiality. Workers have searched for Wilma victims by driving around and looking for blue tarps on roofs.

The Katrina team, whose mission is to help Gulf Coast evacuees who have moved to Florida, have scoured hotels and festivals, sometimes finding only one or two "survivors" a week.

The job is stressful, Project H.O.P.E. officials say. Counselors regularly attend "stress management" sessions that have included collecting shells on the beach, "silly string and art therapy," and "the toilet paper game."

"This fun game has the team throwing toilet paper in an orderly fashion while additional rolls are constantly introduced," says a Project H.O.P.E. report.

In response to inquiries from the Sun-Sentinel, U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., sent an e-mail to FEMA on Thursday, asking for a review of the program.

"The way some of the money reportedly is being used raises some red flags with me," said Nelson, who has criticized FEMA in the past for wasteful spending.

Doris O'Neal was a Project H.O.P.E. Wilma counselor in Palm Beach County from December through July, when she left because of illness.

"I think it's a waste of taxpayers' money," she told the Sun-Sentinel. "I mean, puppet shows? What is that doing? I felt guilty a lot of days going to work and earning a paycheck."

Project H.O.P.E. officials say they've helped thousands of Floridians suffering traumatic effects from the storms.

"Project H.O.P.E. gave them hope and guidance when they were living in despair," said Jennifer Beckman, project manager in Palm Beach County. "We are very proud of the services we offer and deliver."

FEMA relies on the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration, or SAMHSA, a division of another federal agency, to evaluate the crisis counseling programs.

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Why Gridlock needs to occur............... [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #6153830 - 10/10/06 11:23 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I say that its money well spent..

Anything spent on Americans By Americans in order to calm their nerves after thousands have lost everything they have is a good thing..

Its better than buing another bomb :rolleyes:

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Loc: Mycotopia.net
Re: Why Gridlock needs to occur............... [Re: GabbaDj]
    #6153858 - 10/10/06 11:30 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Well then they should take more out of your check and less out of mine..

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Why Gridlock needs to occur............... [Re: GabbaDj]
    #6153892 - 10/10/06 11:39 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GabbaDj said:
I say that its money well spent..

Anything spent on Americans By Americans in order to calm their nerves after thousands have lost everything they have is a good thing..

Its better than buing another bomb :rolleyes:

You will be happy to know that if the democrats get the house or senate less money will be spent on the Military. :thumbdown:

SirTripAlot said:

"I have said it a million times. I am no Democrat, but I hope they pick up seats to stop this spending atrocity of the Bush Administration."

Are you kidding, The spending will continue!

instead of getting a Half Plate of SHIT, we will be paying for a Full plate of SHIT!

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #6154825 - 10/10/06 03:48 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Hardly money well spent.

FEMA doesnt have any oversight committe to even make sure peoples money are being spent correctly, people in New Orleans or Missippi even have shit, Then they stick a shit ton of people in 300$ a night hotels where they promptly tear out the walls and now the government foots the bill, they rented out Carnival cruise lines and distribute 3000$ debit cards to crack heads or people who never even lived in NO.

What your seeing here is a bunch of INEPT and NAIVE retards running the reigns of ABC organizations that have more power then most ordinary people think.

When people figure out how badly they have been ripped off and how their money has been spent, and even worse when people figure out "THE REAL" amount of casualties and rammifications of Iraq, the populace will be spitting mad.

All im waiting for now is for the people to step out of their little red state-blue state mentality and figure out how crooked these fucks are and vote their asses out.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Why Gridlock needs to occur............... [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #6154923 - 10/10/06 04:14 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I heard on NPR yesterday that the correlation between smaller government and republicans exists no more.

President Bush has another record in his presidency: the most government workers ever.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: Why Gridlock needs to occur............... [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6155052 - 10/10/06 04:51 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

What is occuring in this administration and in this country in a large scale is basically Incestuous Amplification

Quote:

Incestuous Amplfication - a condition in warfare
where one only listens to those who are already
in lock-step agreement, reinforcing set beliefs
and creating a situation ripe for miscalculation.

Bush has only lined his administration and the civilian military, CIA,FBI, and all other Alphabet Soup agencies with Yesmen, People who only think like him and only agree with each other. This type of thought pattern is detrimental and can cause severe oversight.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

#6155322 - 10/10/06 06:04 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

The veto is what I am premising all of this on......how many bills has Bush vetoed?

What are the chances that the Executive Branch will veto a bill (and hereby curve spending somewhat), when an opposite party puts one through congress?

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Offlinesnoopaloop53
No BetterFriend. NoWorse Friend.

#6156145 - 10/10/06 09:11 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I think you're right, maybe we need some conflict to slow down the government. Right now it is growing and spending like their is no tomorrow, I think a little conflict is what we need to get them to spend money on only the things we really need.

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Loc: Mycotopia.net
Re: Why Gridlock needs to occur............... [Re: snoopaloop53]
    #6158469 - 10/11/06 02:06 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

We need a regime change...

Offlinesnoopaloop53
No BetterFriend. NoWorse Friend.

Re: Why Gridlock needs to occur............... [Re: StroFun]
    #6159701 - 10/11/06 08:22 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

We need a system change, the "regime" won't make a difference too much, it's still gonna keep getting worse until we make a radical change to the entire system.

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
    #6159740 - 10/11/06 08:28 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

the system will crash at some point.

there are larger forces at work.

--------------------

Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

Re: Why Gridlock needs to occur............... [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #6159791 - 10/11/06 08:40 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldn't doubt that they've been keeping these numbers down in order to boost public support. I mean even if it was in there lowest estimate, 400,000+ people died due to the excess violence, that is still shocking, considering how many we lost when they attacked us on our land: 3,000. (Just kidding by the way.)

--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Why Gridlock needs to occur............... [Re: beatnicknick]
    #6160234 - 10/11/06 10:14 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

beatnicknick said:
I wouldn't doubt that they've been keeping these numbers down in order to boost public support. I mean even if it was in there lowest estimate, 400,000+ people died due to the excess violence, that is still shocking, considering how many we lost when they attacked us on our land: 3,000. (Just kidding by the way.)

How does this have the slightest bit to do with this thread?

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Re: Why Gridlock needs to occur............... [Re: Redstorm]
    #6162740 - 10/12/06 03:51 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

My thoughts exactly.......

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#6162899 - 10/12/06 04:44 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Governments always run best when they are divided and when they don't do much. I am more conservative but it is at the point where I am hoping the democrats don't fumble this election like 2004. If they blow 2006 and 2008, there is something seriously wrong with the party and it will need some changes.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

#6163018 - 10/12/06 05:24 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

More conflict? How much more conflict does this government need for the people to realize this ineptitude.

the republicans need to stop supporting bush, you will notice how the politicians will jump off the sinking ship like a bunch of rats, they dont want to be associated with his presidency if they dont think it will get them elected.

The problem with government, and its very obvious is this.

Their is a type of people we have all met or known in life "The Opportunist" These people lie and bullshit and suck dick to climb up the ladder at any chance, instead of reliable and inuitive people being promoted its "the opportunist" who only brownnoses and agrees with the consensus.

The problem is our government is filled with these people who dont think for themselves, or critically think out anything because it might hurt their credibility or the particular demagoguery they support.

People need to stop thinking in BLue state- Red State mentality,People need to use their intuition and analyze who they are electing and whether they are bullshit or not.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

#6163790 - 10/12/06 08:41 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I agree ,whole heartily, with you last sentence Red.

Here is what I think about our current situation, in a nutshell:

We are supposed to live in a representative democracy. We vote for people who then vote for us. In terms of the legislative branch, they vote, promote, or draft legislation that would best reflect the populace that put them in office. Enter the lobbyist and special interest groups with money and influence. Now compare the access, influence, and power of these people, to the average citizen that put these representatives in office.

And ask yourself do we live in a republic?

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Edited by SirTripAlot (10/12/06 08:41 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale