Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Loc: Mycotopia.net
Bush redefines eloquence..
    #6161429 - 10/12/06 09:27 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15230633/
President Bush needed to change the subject.

"If I might say, that is a beautiful suit," he told NBC News correspondent Kevin Corke at yesterday's news conference in the Rose Garden.

"My tailor appreciates that," replied Corke, wearing a $1,500 custom pinstripe number by Tom James with bright-red tie and pocket square.

"And I can't see anybody else who even comes close," Bush added, drawing laughs from the assembled scribes in wrinkled navy blazers.

Then the president spied CNN's Suzanne Malveaux, pointing at her Benetton suit with pink pinstripes. "Suzanne, I take that back," Bush amended with chivalry. Moments later he bestowed on her the day's "best-dressed" honors.

"Kevin and I coordinated," she explained.

CBS News's Jim Axelrod was feeling left out. "My best suit's in the cleaners," he told the commander in chief.

Bush eyed Axelrod's slacks with disdain. "That's not even a suit," he said, before chalking up the whole thing to "high-priced news guys."

It was about the only fun Bush had all morning. North Korea is exploding, Iraq is imploding, and congressional Republicans are self-destructing. Reporters weren't about to let the president forget about that, even if he looked natty in his gray suit and dark-blue tie.

"Do you ever feel like the walls are closing in on you?" Axelrod tormented.

'I've made some hard decisions'
Bret Baier of Fox News asked Bush about "the tide turning, according to several polls, towards the Democrats."

USA Today's David Jackson noted the "shelf full of books" about Iraq and their claims that "administration policies contributed to the difficulties there."

"There's a lot of books out there -- a lot," the president agreed. "I guess it means that I've made some hard decisions."

Actually, the books say he and his aides made a lot of bad decisions: too few troops in Iraq, no reconstruction plan, ignored insurgency warnings, and keeping Donald Rumsfeld at the Pentagon while pushing Colin Powell out of the State Department.

The underdressed reporters peppered Bush with 15 questions about Iraq and North Korea; only near the end did the Chicago Tribune's Mark Silva mention some guy named Foley. Pressed to defend his foreign policy, Bush instead cited the "stakes" involved in the Middle East and North Korea -- 13 times.

"I understand the stakes," Bush announced. "I'm going to repeat them one more time. As a matter of fact, I'm going to spend a lot of time repeating the stakes."

He made good on that promise. Five times he said "the stakes are high," occasionally adding that "the stakes are really high" and even that, "as a matter of fact, they couldn't be higher."

"I know this sounds [as if] I'm just saying it over and over again," Bush admitted. But repetition is crucial to learning; to that end, Bush also said four times that the enemy is trying to establish a "caliphate."

Bush asks himself questions
Dissatisfied with the reporters' prickly questions, Bush went about answering his own. He said abandoning Iraq would allow terrorists to launch new attacks on America. "How do I know that would happen?" Bush asked himself. "Because that's what the enemy has told us," he answered.

When a questioner asked about the credibility of the administration's threats toward North Korea, Bush said: "I thought you were going to ask . . . 'How come you didn't use military action?' " Bush then replied: "My answer is that I believe the commander in chief must try all diplomatic measures."

"I'll ask myself a follow-up," Bush continued. "If that's the case, why did you use military action in Iraq?" His answer to himself: "Because we tried the diplomacy."

It's dicey for a president to hold a news conference when his support is below 40 percent and there is little good news to share. Bush started off by pointing out that the federal budget deficit has been shrinking faster than expected. But his questioners, perhaps heeding Vice President Cheney's admonition that "deficits don't matter," didn't ask any questions on the subject.

The president's opening statement, though heavily qualified, contained some of his trademark sanguinity: "We're on the move. We're taking action. . . . We accomplished that mission."

But the mood darkened when the first questioner asked "is your administration to blame" for North Korea's getting nuclear weapons. On cue, a sudden breeze sent willow leaves fluttering onto the party.

No, Bush answered, the Clinton administration is to blame.

This provoked a challenge from ABC News's Martha Raddatz. "How can you say your policy is more successful, given that North Korea has apparently tested a nuclear weapon?" she asked.

Off to the side sat four Bush aides who had been with him through his entire presidency: Josh Bolten, Karl Rove, Steve Hadley and Dan Bartlett. Grayer and thinner on top than they were six years ago, they watched expressionlessly as Bush entered with a spring in his step and a wave to the cameras, then as he left an hour later with less good cheer.

"Thank you for your interest," the president said curtly, skipping the usual pleasantries. As he walked back into the Oval Office, he shot a glance in the direction of his aides that showed he was not pleased.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

:orly:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Bush redefines eloquence.. [Re: StroFun]
    #6161481 - 10/12/06 09:50 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The president's opening statement, though heavily qualified, contained some of his trademark sanguinity: "We're on the move. We're taking action. . . . We accomplished that mission."

What, not misunderestimations?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Bush redefines eloquence.. [Re: StroFun]
    #6161518 - 10/12/06 10:04 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

"I believe the commander in chief must try all diplomatic measures."

:rotfl:

"I understand the stakes," Bush announced. "I'm going to repeat them one more time. As a matter of fact, I'm going to spend a lot of time repeating the stakes."

I must say he is very good at "staying on message" which is a strength for a politician running for office, but he has turned it into a weakness.

Hearing him repeat the same phrase over and over reminds me of what are known in cults as "thought-stopping techniques"- used to keep cult members in line. Whenever they stray outside their bubble and someone questions their crazy conduct they are told to repeat over and over again some pre-defined phrase.

The specific phrase is unimportant- the very act of repeating it prevents them from  absorbing any new information.

'I've made some hard decisions'

"There's a lot of books out there -- a lot," the president agreed. "I guess it means that I've made some hard decisions."

"There's a crack,
a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in,
That's how the light gets in."

-Leonard Cohen

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Bush redefines eloquence.. [Re: zorbman]
    #6161542 - 10/12/06 10:10 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Cult techniques..(reads like the Republican playbook)
------------------------------------------------------------

III. Thought Control

1. Need to internalize the group’s doctrine as "Truth"

a. Map = Reality
b. Black and White thinking
c. Good vs. evil
d. Us vs. them (inside vs. outside)

2. Adopt "loaded" language (characterized by "thought-terminating clichés"). Words are the tools we use to think with. These "special" words constrict rather than expand understanding. They function to reduce complexities of experience into trite, platitudinous "buzz words".

3. Only "good" and "proper" thoughts are encouraged.

4. Thought-stopping techniques (to shut down "reality testing" by stopping "negative" thoughts and allowing only "good" thoughts); rejection of rational analysis, critical thinking, constructive criticism.

a. Denial, rationalization, justification, wishful thinking
b. Chanting
c. Meditating
d. Praying
e. Speaking in "tongues"
f. Singing or humming

5. No critical questions about leader, doctrine, or policy seen as legitimate

6. No alternative belief systems viewed as legitimate, good, or useful.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Edited by zorbman (10/12/06 03:07 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Bush redefines eloquence.. [Re: zorbman]
    #6163261 - 10/12/06 06:28 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Sounds like N Korea. Where did you steal it from? Or are you calling it your own?

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Bush redefines eloquence.. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #6163284 - 10/12/06 06:32 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Similar in many ways.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Bush redefines eloquence.. [Re: barfightlard]
    #6163304 - 10/12/06 06:35 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Similar to what?

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6163416 - 10/12/06 06:59 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

pretty much it all

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#6163431 - 10/12/06 07:03 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

That's what I thought. Bye bye.

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6163435 - 10/12/06 07:04 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Which parts to you disagree with, and why?

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#6163576 - 10/12/06 07:41 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

All of it. Do you read the MSM? It's full of reports of Republican disagreements. Now, if you were talking Democrats that would be another matter

--------------------

Offlinebarfightlard
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6163630 - 10/12/06 07:53 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

MSM?

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#6163641 - 10/12/06 07:57 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Main Stream Media. NY Times, Wa Post, LA Times, CBS, ABC, NBC

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6163683 - 10/12/06 08:10 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Let's not forget Fox News and the Washington Post.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Bush redefines eloquence.. [Re: Redstorm]
    #6163714 - 10/12/06 08:19 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I mentioned the WaPo. Fox is cable

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6163724 - 10/12/06 08:21 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

:lol:

Christ, I skipped right over it. I need to get to the bar quick-like. I can't even concentrate. :wink:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Bush redefines eloquence.. [Re: Redstorm]
    #6163732 - 10/12/06 08:23 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Always a sound decision

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6163787 - 10/12/06 08:38 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Cult info source:

http://www.ex-cult.org/bite.html#three

All of it. Do you read the MSM? It's full of reports of Republican disagreements. Now, if you were talking Democrats that would be another matter

There's always the joke about the person who asks a friend, "What is your political affiliation?"

The friend answers, "I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a democrat."

Point being democrats are notorious for being disorganized and not on the same page.

--------------------

Edited by zorbman (10/12/06 08:45 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order