Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
Re: What do you think "Pure Evil" really is? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #6159716 - 10/11/06 08:25 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

See sig :smirk:

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: What do you think "Pure Evil" really is? [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #6159738 - 10/11/06 08:28 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I have sigs turned off.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
Re: What do you think "Pure Evil" really is? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #6159750 - 10/11/06 08:30 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

In any case, most people are just wasted biologic molecules which could be put to a probable better use in the overall scheme of things,
so why bother explainig why having delusional robots is a BAD idea?

:mad:

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

OfflineSilentG
Stranger thanfiction

Re: What do you think "Pure Evil" really is? [Re: Colbadol]
    #6160565 - 10/12/06 12:00 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Colbadol said:
Quote:

SilentG said:
Quote:

Colbadol said:
There is no Pure evil without Pure good. 

Why? Is there any possible basis for this claim?

Lots of people hold this belief (usually in an evil is necessary for their to be good sort of justification for the existence of evil) and I've never read a single good reason for it.

It's the relative nature of a subjective term.

There is no beautiful without ugly. If EVERYTHING were beautiful, we wouldnt know it without something ugly to judge against.
Same thing with good and bad.
It's a balance.

Please consider all previous points I made about an objective morality vs people's various subjective ideas and their relations to the surroundings in which we develop.

Then please consider all the previous points I made after Lunatix said the same thing regarding the need for one thing to compare to another to allow something to exist. It might effect our perception of a thing, but it would not impact any objective truth about the thing.

Points are too long to bother rewording or repeating or even hunting down and copying.

The ironic thing is that in most any age in Western culture before the 80s very few of yall would have been moral relativists. Ayn Rand really kicked that one up a notch, especially with college students.

There are three types of judgements people can make. Positivistic judgements such as "this is a desk I'm sitting at." It's a fact. Call it by different names - they all mean desk at root. Judgements of taste such as "this is the best desk ever" are simply my take on what I find pleasurable. Then there are normative judgements such as "you shouldn't have stolen my wallet to go buy crack." Morality deals only with normative statements.

Science is generally the realm of positive statements. Science seeks to prove various qualities about things that exist in our world. Do you think that physicists who are trying to unify all theories would say "because we can't agree on one thing and all have different opinions, there is no real unified theory?" Our failure to understand or know something doesn't nullify it.

The ugly/beautiful analogy is bad because those are issues of taste. Taste is truly subjective. Everyone has different tastes and that's fine because issues that are purely of taste (such as sexual preference) are value-neutral. Only you are effected by your tastes. Well, maybe if your shirt is hideous enough it might cross over into a normative issue :smile:. Tastes are determined by comparison and that's fine.

Morality though isn't an issue of what we like, what is yummy, or what is fun. It's an issue of what is truly right or wrong or perhaps what has elements of both.

Now saying "there are differnt takes on morality throughout the world and even within individual societies" is a positivistic statement. It's a fact about the world, and we can't infer anything normative from this statement.

When I say Hitler was wrong to set in motion genocide I'm not saying I don't like it. I'm saying he shouldn't have done that - in a perfect world he wouldn't have. Sure we don't live in that world, but it doesn't change what should have been. Even more than that - I'm also saying that even if I had a different idea about that, it would still be objectively wrong despite my different feelings.

An analogy I liked in philosophy is the impotent omniscient observer thought experiment. Imagine an entity that is totally fictitious which is completely omniscient and benevolent, but has absolutely no power to act in anyway. Whatever that entity would want you to do is objectively right and vice versa. Now the entity can't effect you at all, so you can go about doing whatever you like, but it won't change that the entity wishes you would do the right thing. Your actions and beliefs and even your ignorance doesn't stop there from being an objective right or wrong.

--------------------
Yes, I could go drive somewhere everytime the urge to defecate hits, but...where's the fun in that.
-Moth

OfflineCerebro
Spawnmaster C
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cocytus
Re: What do you think "Pure Evil" really is? [Re: SilentG]
    #6233618 - 11/01/06 12:02 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

People that live in hypocrisy have no morals. They seem to be angry all the time without evidence of any psychiatric condition. They like to see people suffer. Having no empathy for others. And I'm not just talking about snappin' on people or acting out or even misbehaving. Have you ever said to a person "So what the hell is your problem anyway". I have met people that I thought were pure evil. And thank God most people are relatively good natured. When I heard of those rednecks in Texas dragging that poor African-American male from the back of their pickup.EVIL.

Edited by Cerebro (11/14/06 05:42 AM)

OfflineLeanin
Student of theIron Game
 User Gallery
Re: What do you think "Pure Evil" really is? [Re: Cerebro]
    #6233640 - 11/01/06 12:07 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

pee wee herman

OfflineToad_Stool
Sloth Nation
 User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: What do you think "Pure Evil" really is? [Re: LuNaTiX]
    #6233714 - 11/01/06 12:37 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

It seems that you all seem to know what pure evil is... heh

--------------------
There's nothing more I'd rather do, than the drug I call you

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
    #6233772 - 11/01/06 12:55 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: What do you think "Pure Evil" really is? [Re: Newbie]
    #6233785 - 11/01/06 01:00 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

lol

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
    #6233809 - 11/01/06 01:10 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

You, me, him, her.. Deep down we are all pure evil, you just haven't realized it yet. :wink:

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

InvisibleLoUsIf
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: SF
Re: What do you think "Pure Evil" really is? [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #6233991 - 11/01/06 05:29 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

The American Government

OfflineLuNaTiX
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What do you think "Pure Evil" really is? [Re: Toad_Stool]
    #6234294 - 11/01/06 09:09 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Holy, this is an old thread, I have my opinion about what evil is, but I'm not saying its the only "evil" out there.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order