Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
shit!
    #615368 - 04/22/02 08:21 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I pausterized my cow shit and exceeded the 160 F limit, and got it up to 194 for a short period of time....
I read somewhere in a post that bacterial bloom is at high risk if the pausterization is not correct....
Any similar experiences? Does anyone think i can get away with it?

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: shit! [Re: Sterile]
    #615415 - 04/22/02 09:20 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

If you are worried, take some a small amount of new dung that hasn't been over heated and pausterize it correctly. Once it has cooled, add it to the dung that you over heated and mix the two up together. My friend has done this with sterilized dung and it worked out ok, though I don't know for sure that it will fix up your exact problem or not.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Re: shit! [Re: Seuss]
    #615478 - 04/22/02 10:34 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you very much Seuss, i think i will try it....
I dont have any other ideas....i will report the results...lets hope.... :|

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Annos Tek

OfflineHisStudent
enthusiast

Re: shit! [Re: Seuss]
    #615511 - 04/22/02 11:38 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

In reply to:

If you are worried, take some a small amount of new dung that hasn't been over heated and pasteurize it correctly. Once it has cooled, add it to the dung that you over heated and mix the two up together. My friend has done this with sterilized dung and it worked out ok, though I don't know for sure that it will fix up your exact problem or not.

How would adding sterile shit to the non-sterile shit make the bacteria problems go away?
I would think that you are just setting yourself up for twice as much non-sterile shit as before. Am I wrong here?

I'm not knocking your post Seuss, Could you elaborate on why you think this would work?

--------------------
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.
- Jack Handey

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Re: shit! [Re: HisStudent]
    #615541 - 04/22/02 12:22 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

HisStudent: What i did wrong in over-pausterizing the dung was , that i killed some beneficial bacteria, that would help the casing by keeping away mold.....
By adding correctly pausterized dung, i place some of them beneficial bacterias into the casing.

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

Annos Tek

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

#615545 - 04/22/02 12:26 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

UUUPS! i disnt notice that his example was about sterilized shit.....now i am confuzed...
Yeah....how did he do that with sterilized shit?

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

Annos Tek

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: shit! [Re: HisStudent]
    #615576 - 04/22/02 01:15 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

> How would adding sterile shit to the non-sterile shit make the bacteria problems go away?

The dung is full of micro-organisms that compete against each other for food and space.  Some of these organisms are good and do not compete with the mushroom mycelium  that we want to grow.  Others are bad and will either make us, or the mushrooms sick.  When you sterilize something, you kill off all of these organisms.  It is much easier for a new "unknown" micro-ogranism to move into "empty" sterile dung than it is to move into "full" non-sterile dung.

So, we want to find a way to kill off all the "bad" organisms while leaving the "good" organisms alone.  Turns out this process is called pasteurization and is implemented by heating the dung to around 160F for 45 minutes or so.

If you mess up the pasteurization and overheat it... say by using boiling water at 212F instead of hot water at 160F you kill off almost everything instead of just the "bad" organisms.  To fix this problem, you add correctly pasteurized dung full of "good" organisms to the sterilized dung.  The "good" organisms will overtake the dung before the bad or unknown ones have a chance to move in.

> I would think that you are just setting yourself up for twice as much non-sterile shit as before.

This is correct, but sterile dung isn't what we are going for.  We want dung full of "good" organisms with no "bad" oganisms.

Hope this helps... :smile:

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #615579 - 04/22/02 01:21 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

> his example was about sterilized shit...

Correct, but I think the idea will work the same. I just don't want to sell something I haven't tried. I have only tried this with sterilized dung, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for "almost sterilized dung". Just because I don't see why it wouldn't work doesn't mean that it will work though...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract