Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
absolutes and extremes
    #6152653 - 10/09/06 11:38 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Im seeing way too many threads that are pure babble tied together with polarized extremes.

I dont want to call any people out personally, but if you skim most of the last 20 threads you will see what I am talking about.

Im not saying extremes arent useful, but some of you need to stop with the esoteric, extreme duality.

ill concede though that maybe it is my harsh skepticism of such statements as "I am everything, I am nothing"... type crap.

It is overly vague and those posts usually have no real content.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTelepylus
Babyman
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: absolutes and extremes [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6152726 - 10/10/06 12:12 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

lol

what exactly is your point?
this is a thread complaining about threads sucking

you think that pointing out your posting etiquette lesson is really going to change anything?
the idea that you even think that is totally funny.
then you go on to mention some overly vague post with no real content
and this is a supreme example of that, only it's a thread, lol

the thoughts which dribbled out of your brain i order to make this thread, should've just remained there.

i think what you're trying to say is "contribute something valuable or shut the fuck up"

so take your own advice and set the example

Invisiblemungojerry
free as a bird
Male User Gallery
Loc: Nappy Dub
    #6152740 - 10/10/06 12:18 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

sry

Invisiblemungojerry
free as a bird
Male User Gallery
Re: absolutes and extremes [Re: mungojerry]
    #6152747 - 10/10/06 12:20 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

would it make it feel better if I poured everything i had into a thread

Offlineslaphappy
Its just me
 User Gallery

Loc: Norway, Eidsvoll, Råholt...
Re: absolutes and extremes [Re: Telepylus]
    #6152748 - 10/10/06 12:20 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Telepylus said:
lol

what exactly is your point?
this is a thread complaining about threads sucking

you think that pointing out your posting etiquette lesson is really going to change anything?
the idea that you even think that is totally funny.
then you go on to mention some overly vague post with no real content
and this is a supreme example of that, only it's a thread, lol

the thoughts which dribbled out of your brain i order to make this thread, should've just remained there.

i think what you're trying to say is "contribute something valuable or shut the fuck up"

so take your own advice and set the example

SLAPHAPPY SECONDS: Enjoy.  :smirk:

--------------------
The argent messenger of truth beyond truth, the antithesis of life, cruel and bleak as interstellar space, pulseless and frozen as absolute zero, dazzling with the frost of irrefragable logic and unforgettable fact.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: absolutes and extremes [Re: Telepylus]
    #6152761 - 10/10/06 12:24 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

well, it was a two part.

One part was to open discussion about the futility of speaking and thinking in extremes and absolutes.

The second part was merely my opinion on the subject, which was that it was fluff, spewed only to make one appear deep and spiritual/philosophical.

So... actually, since you are so dead set on flaming me, you must have felt insulted in some way, or atleast partly guilty of the topic at hand.

If you felt that this thread was so hollow, and pointless, then why did you feel the need to add even more useless and pointless material to it?

Cant you just go somewhere else and make another "praise be unto him" thread? and leave the philosophy to the philosophers. I try not to bother you in your delusional world of borderline MRP threads... so maybe you can go somewhere else and be ignorant there.

OfflineAmethyst
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6152832 - 10/10/06 01:05 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Philosophy is a path from the NOWHERE to the NOTHING, so of course its full of endless dualistic extremes.....Regardless of it being directly pointless, its great exercise for the mind, I love it. :smile:

--------------------
"That's the story moving from the NO to the YES. All of life is like, no thankyou, no thankyou, no thankyou. Then ultimatey it's YES i give in, YES I accept, YES I embrace."

Invisiblemungojerry
free as a bird
Male User Gallery
    #6152837 - 10/10/06 01:06 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

can i hold ur hand?

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: absolutes and extremes [Re: mungojerry]
    #6152845 - 10/10/06 01:10 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

always mungo, and never.

OfflineParamemetic
Emergent

#6153254 - 10/10/06 07:15 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I do have to say, I tend to agree. The "I am everything, I am nothing" stuff becomes tedious, especially as it's ultimately non-falsifiable. But challenging the concept of absolutes? You may want to narrow your scope. Not that I support any kind of absolutism, but it's a rather broad subject to attack out of hand.

--------------------
"Reality is that which doesn't go away when you stop believing in it." - N. Bohr
"The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." - Tao Te Ching, 48

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #6153539 - 10/10/06 09:45 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

One part was to open discussion about the futility of speaking and thinking in extremes and absolutes.

Dude, you cannot expect people to think otherwise if that is their mindset and programming. Your "logic" will not sink in whatsoever until they have a emotional realization of the futility of following any unworkable path.

So quit complaining and be glad you are "rational". :grin:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #6153653 - 10/10/06 10:24 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

One only can find balance, if one knows about the extremes. Simple as that.
As we are obviously not 'nothing' and obviously not 'everything' we have to be something between. That is, what is the question with those kind of topics.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineTelepylus
Babyman
 User Gallery

Re: absolutes and extremes [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #6154500 - 10/10/06 02:29 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

yea i agree too
i am everything, i am nothing is silly poetry that doesn't help anyone.

but, absolutes and extremes are beautiful forms of communication-
that is what music is
that is what everything true and splendid is

i don't see how it is possible to learn without recognizing absolutes and extremes.

men cannot give birth to infants because they have no womb-
that is an absolute truth, and displays the extremities of male/female.
to hide from that, or to call it futile, makes no sense to me.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #6154519 - 10/10/06 02:34 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

For the "I am everything, I am nothing" statements, either the people have nothing worthwhile to say, or, less likely, they're visiting the Shroomery on high doses of LSD that have warped their brains so much that meaningless statements actually begin to reflect the true nature of reality. Either way, they're not communicating anything to anyone besides themselves.

In reality, there are no absolutes or extremes. Existence is not extreme, but rather extreme is a label of certain states of existence that are perfectly natural and universal.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineTelepylus
Babyman
 User Gallery

Re: absolutes and extremes [Re: Ravus]
    #6154666 - 10/10/06 03:06 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

of course there are absolutes and extremes, and that is what builds existence and reality.
it just depends on what dimensional levels your working with.

the singularity, duality, and trinity are absolute forces which build mathematics, geometry, and consciousness.

in the singularity there are no extremes because there is only ONEness.
as soon as you enter duality(the world) everything is split into male/female positive/negative light/dark, good/bad. and these are extremes-
sure, they are illusionary when viewed from the singularity.
but while we are in the world, they most certainly are very real and tangible to us- and absolutes in the equations of transmuting variables.

every once and awhile a person can eat LSD, and start writing some stream of consciousness crap like "i am everything"
and it's actually very beautiful and enlightening- this is rare, but it happens.

personally i'd rather enjoy reading some acidheads garbled vision of unity over some malconent skeptic who refuses to see past his own nose, and rather than trying to produce something insightful himself instead attempts to point out the inevitable flaws in all psuedo-sciences.

and i guess the point is, instead of talking about what is stupid or wrong, try to focus on what is smart and right, and build upon that.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#6154715 - 10/10/06 03:21 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
For the "I am everything, I am nothing" statements, either the people have nothing worthwhile to say, or, less likely, they're visiting the Shroomery on high doses of LSD that have warped their brains so much that meaningless statements actually begin to reflect the true nature of reality. Either way, they're not communicating anything to anyone besides themselves.

In reality, there are no absolutes or extremes. Existence is not extreme, but rather extreme is a label of certain states of existence that are perfectly natural and universal.

You must be refering to me. I can realate to feeling connected to everything and also sensing the illusory nature of the so called self.

Saying one is everything and nothing is a vain attempt to comprehend the Tao or the limitless void. Everyone gives it a shot at some point I guess. There is nothing wrong with that.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #6154898 - 10/10/06 04:05 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
Either way, they're not communicating anything to anyone besides themselves.

This is what I was getting at.

Many of you think that I am being an asshole and very un-PLUR, but what is the difference between many of you pointing this out and me pointing out that some threads are so vague and meaningless because they only contain absolutes?
If I am guilty of this, then all of you whom have posted this opinion are guilty..... kind of like breaking the law to enforce the law.

I just think posts like "I am everything, I am nothing" is vapid blather... but that is just one assholes opinion. I dont find any merit or philosophical/spiritual substance, not even enough of a point to make a huge stretch to come to some already cognited understanding.
I dont believe that I am the judge of such things, or the drawer of substantial lines in regards to P&S, i was merely making an observation and pointing out something that I felt this collective doesn't need.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#6155954 - 10/10/06 08:22 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I felt this collective doesn't need.

You are Borg I'm guessing. :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #6155975 - 10/10/06 08:28 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
In reality, there are no absolutes or extremes.

Except for that absolute statement you just made.

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: absolutes and extremes [Re: Icelander]
    #6155976 - 10/10/06 08:28 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Ravus said:

You must be refering to me. I can realate to feeling connected to everything and also sensing the illusory nature of the so called self.

Saying one is everything and nothing is a vain attempt to comprehend the Tao or the limitless void. Everyone gives it a shot at some point I guess. There is nothing wrong with that.

Actually, I wasn't referring to any specific person. I've seen many people write posts like that, and I've spoken to a lot of people in real life who like to rattle off gibberish. In real life, I simply try to force them to delve into the basis and root of their statements. Most people I'm content if you can extract a single drop of logic from an entire forest of beliefs and thoughts that don't make any sense, that don't seem to logically fit together. I think a lot of people mistaken for spirituality simply have a dysfunction in their neurons that causes their mind to mistake imaginary gaps in knowledge for open territory in insisting the truth for their fantastic bridges of faith.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder