Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenw2shroom
shroom deity
Loc: Tu hablas el Spanglish??
built a new HEPA box check it...
    #615172 - 04/22/02 12:35 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I built this HEPA box becuase I got tired of the shitty joke of a glove box I made when I started this.
total cost was about 50 bucks.
I had the wood already . its pretty damb big but there isnt any vortex or reverse flow in it
this biotch is nice and comfortable.
used a holmes hepa and a charcoal filter as the velocity buffer, positive pressure , not a whirlwind

just showing it off,

A ?'n would using a UV light (the kind you find like in a pharmacy ( ive only seen them were I work at a hospital) the blue kind help in killing contams if they happen to get in, or would they also kill my spores?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: built a new HEPA box check it... [Re: nw2shroom]
    #615225 - 04/22/02 02:18 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Nice nice! Reminds me of the good old times...

Offlineweatstraw
Stranger
Loc: Oregon
    #615247 - 04/22/02 03:32 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

The UV light will give you cancer if you spend too much time under it. I'd suggest you not use it.

InvisibleCLuB99
lost somewhere in time and space
Male User Gallery

Loc: my mind
    #615253 - 04/22/02 04:15 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

In reply to:

A ?'n would using a UV light (the kind you find like in a pharmacy ( ive only seen them were I work at a hospital) the blue kind help in killing contams if they happen to get in, or would they also kill my spores?

it will kill your spores, and cause you skin cancer after prolonged use.
But you can turn it off before working on the hood.
Or you coudl use just some lysol...

Offlineduss69
Stranger
    #615264 - 04/22/02 04:45 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Very nice work...

--------------------
Support the FSRE

OfflineLSD_4me
addict
Re: built a new HEPA box check it... [Re: duss69]
    #615272 - 04/22/02 04:53 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

please listen to them you shouldnt use one of those UVs with bare skin, i wouldnt even recomend using with gloves or anything, its not worth it + that box looks like you wouldnt have anything to worry about anyway

OfflineChemical_Smile
Making Love WithMy Ego
Loc: coming down fast, miles a...
Re: built a new HEPA box check it... [Re: LSD_4me]
    #615379 - 04/22/02 08:39 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Very nice thanks for posting. Is that one of the little holmes hepas that you can get at wallmart? And can you think of any way to adapt that so it will come apart (into like 2 or 3 main pieces so I will have room to store it)?

OfflineChemical_Smile
Making Love WithMy Ego
Re: built a new HEPA box check it... [Re: Chemical_Smile]
    #615396 - 04/22/02 08:56 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I have a idea, do you see that little lip on the sides that the floor sits on? You could make those little lips on every major piece and use bolts to secure it all together. Use bolts on the hinges for the lid and you would be set. It would be a little bit of a pain putting it together but much better than having that big thing sitting in the corner all the time. I dont want everyone who comes in my house to see that and start asking questions. If anyone out there has built one that disassembles please post pics.

OfflineChemical_Smile
Making Love WithMy Ego
Re: built a new HEPA box check it... [Re: Chemical_Smile]
    #615398 - 04/22/02 08:58 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Hey nw2shroom, would you mind posting the dimensions on that?

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #615468 - 04/22/02 10:18 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

good job. please let us know how well it works for you.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Offlinenw2shroom
shroom deity
Loc: Tu hablas el Spanglish??
Re: built a new HEPA box check it... [Re: DinoMyc]
    #615531 - 04/22/02 12:05 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

ok first off, for chemical, its 22X22X28 add 13inches for the flenum and the HEPA, its a holmes filter from wal-mart, I assume the whole chain has sales at the same time, so I would suggests getting one now, they are 37.00 on sale from 48bucks i think,

as for the light, even a regular UV light ,its a 75 watt light , not a anti-contam type , but a regular walmart light , that will also kill the spores? i wasnt shure of the distinction in the previous posts?

It works well , no reflux of air, Its a simple design, that im shure subconsiously I ripped of from somewhere else , my next box will be smaller, I figure"hey i live 90 iles from texas, and they make everything bigger over there, so why not??"

thats a good idea about the hinges, as I am not what one would call a "finish carpenter" this was the first time i have worked with wood in years, actually my dad (im 27 ) helped me, hes really good with wood so i took everything to his house, and we built it there, ( hes cool too, he knows what its for !!)

If you want to see something really , really well built, go to this thread, you wont be dissapointed!!

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=contest&Number=614942&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #615610 - 04/22/02 02:07 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Using ultraviolet light to kill contaminates is called Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI).
It requires a very specific wavelength of ultraviolet light between 2250 to 3020 Angstroms. There are special lamps that provide this wavelength range called UV-C. When you see a blacklight at a rave, it is not the same thing. Blacklights produce a different range of ultraviolet light and are called UV-B lamps. Regular fluorescent tubes have phosphorous on the inside which converts practically all of the ultraviolet light into visible light.

If you are going to use a UV-C lamp, you want to place it between your blower and your HEPA. The UV light given off will help kill off any viable contaminates that get stuck behind the filter (on the dirty end) yet the light wont bleed out into your work area.

The dangers of UV-C light on here have been overstated (in my opinion). I have seen these lamps in both the entrance to the supermarket that I shop at and in the butcher area of the same store. I have also worked in a lab that had them hanging on the walls.

Regular blacklight (UV-B) and normal "cool light" from a fluorecent tube won't harm the spores. Prolonged exposure to any UV light is not good for you or spores. If you are working 8 hours a day 5 days a week for a few years under UV you will wish you hadn't. An hour or two every few months isn't going to hurt you.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineParticleMan
enthusiast
    #615650 - 04/20/02 08:12 AM (22 years, 1 day ago)

is 99 filtration good for our purposes? i have been shopping around getting ready to build one of these and i have seen the 99 like this one, then the 99.97 and the 99.999, I was also thinking about getting one of these but i want to make sure that this one will do the job. I figure better to check it out before i spend a few some time and money making one, just to make sure i dont need the .3 mircron filtration.

--------------------

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
    #616356 - 04/23/02 12:29 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I think the worries of the UV light are over stated also. Although I couuld be wrong I just havent had any problems yet and for the last 6 years I was under thousands of watts of UV light(too bad those days are long gone).

OfflineParticleMan
enthusiast
Re: built a new HEPA box check it... [Re: ParticleMan]
    #616819 - 04/23/02 09:20 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

.03 essential??? anyone????

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: built a new HEPA box check it... [Re: ParticleMan]
    #617217 - 04/24/02 09:12 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

For a laminer flowhood used in mushroom cultivation I would use a HEPA filter with a documented filtration efficiency of 99.97% against 0.3 micron sized particles. Anything over 99.97% is probably overkill and just a waste of money. Anything that lets larger particle sizes through will not stop spores and bacteria.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineParticleMan
enthusiast
Re: built a new HEPA box check it... [Re: Seuss]
    #617372 - 04/24/02 01:04 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

thanks :-) maybe you can get a new filter nw2shrrom, or hopefully it just works for you

--------------------

Edited by ParticleMan (04/24/02 01:07 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale