Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Bush's 'Axis of Evil' Comes Back to Haunt United States
    #6152226 - 10/09/06 10:06 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/09/AR2006100901130.html

Quote:

Bush's 'Axis of Evil' Comes Back to Haunt United States

By Glenn Kessler and Peter Baker
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, October 10, 2006; Page A12

Nearly five years after President Bush introduced the concept of an "axis of evil" comprising Iraq, Iran and North Korea, the administration has reached a crisis point with each nation: North Korea has claimed it conducted its first nuclear test, Iran refuses to halt its uranium-enrichment program, and Iraq appears to be tipping into a civil war 3 1/2 years after the U.S.-led invasion.

Each problem appears to feed on the others, making the stakes higher and requiring Bush and his advisers to make difficult calculations, analysts and U.S. officials said. The deteriorating situation in Iraq has undermined U.S. diplomatic credibility and limited the administration's military options, making rogue countries increasingly confident that they can act without serious consequences. Iran, meanwhile, will be watching closely the diplomatic fallout from North Korea's apparent test as a clue to how far it might go with its own nuclear program.

"Iran will follow very carefully what happens in the U.N. Security Council after the North Korean test," said Robert J. Einhorn, senior adviser at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS). "If the United Nations is not able to act forcefully, then Iran will think the path is clear to act with impunity."

Michael E. O'Hanlon, a Brookings Institution scholar and co-author of the new book "Hard Power: The New Politics of National Security," said the U.S. response to North Korea will have ripple effects. "Iran will certainly watch what happens. North Korea watched what happened with Pakistan and decided that the world didn't punish Pakistan too hard or too long," he said. "Iran will certainly notice if North Korea gets treated with kid gloves."

Political strategists debated the domestic implications of the North Korean test with midterm elections four weeks away. Some Republicans predicted it would take the focus off the Mark Foley congressional page scandal and remind voters that it is a dangerous world best confronted by tough-minded leaders. Some Democrats argued it would be seen as another failure of Bush's foreign policy and moved quickly to try to pin blame on the Republicans. "Is this going to help Republicans?" asked Jim Manley, spokesman for Senate Minority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.). "The answer to that is absolutely not. This is another significant foreign policy failure for the administration."

In Bush's 2002 State of the Union address, a speech designed to shift the political debate from a battle against al-Qaeda to a possible confrontation with Iraq, the president mentioned North Korea, Iraq and Iran and declared: "States like these, and their terrorist allies, constitute an axis of evil, arming to threaten the peace of the world. By seeking weapons of mass destruction, these regimes pose a grave and growing danger. . . . In any of these cases, the price of indifference would be catastrophic."

All three issues came to a head in 2003: The United States invaded Iraq and discovered no weapons of mass destruction; North Korea began to obtain weapons-grade plutonium from fuel rods that had been under international observation; and Iran disclosed that it had made rapid progress with a previously secret uranium-enrichment program.

In contrast to its handling of Iraq, the administration has tried to resolve the North Korean and Iranian nuclear breakouts with diplomacy. But progress has been slow, in part because the United States has been reluctant to hold bilateral talks with either country except within the context of broader talks with other nations.

Former senator Sam Nunn (D-Ga.) faulted the administration for focusing on Iraq first, when greater threats loomed in North Korea and Iran. "We started with Iraq in the 'axis of evil' side, when we thought they did not yet have nuclear weapons, and that sent the signal to others that they better get them quick," he said. "I think we started on the wrong end of that."

The administration launched a full-court press yesterday at the Security Council, proposing elements of a tough resolution that would call for imposing an arms embargo and a series of legally binding U.N. financial and trade sanctions. The United States also called for international inspections of all trade in and out of North Korea to enforce the sanctions.

U.S. officials yesterday were focusing especially closely on the reaction of China, long North Korea's main benefactor. The Chinese government publicly denounced the test in unusually strong language, and a senior U.S. official said the private comments of Chinese officials were equally strong. While China has been reluctant to pressure North Korea, fearing a collapse of the government and mass refugees on its border, "the question is whether a chaotic North Korea is worse than a nuclear North Korea," the official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the diplomatic sensitivities.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice appears likely to make a trip to the region soon to further build support for a tough response by China, Japan and South Korea. Several experts predicted that although China's leadership is angry enough to support some sanctions, it always will stop short of putting enough pressure on Pyongyang to force its collapse. "Full-up sanctions I don't see happening," said former White House Asia expert Michael J. Green, now at CSIS.

James B. Steinberg, President Bill Clinton's deputy national security adviser and now dean of the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs at the University of Texas at Austin, said the North Korea test will raise a larger question that echoes Ronald Reagan's most famous 1980 campaign line -- "With respect to the axis of evil," Steinberg said, "are you better off today than you were four years ago? . . . It's clear that the answer is we're worse off with respect to the nuclear proliferation problem in both North Korea and Iran than four to six years ago, and I would argue we're worse off in our overall security because of the situation in Iraq."

Staff writer Dafna Linzer contributed to this report.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: Bush's 'Axis of Evil' Comes Back to Haunt United States [Re: Vvellum]
    #6152305 - 10/09/06 10:20 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

"Nearly five years after President Bush introduced the concept of an "axis of evil" comprising Iraq, Iran and North Korea.."

tells a lot about a five year old conception..

iraq, check, iran, still working on it, north korea, not right now.

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #6153405 - 10/10/06 08:39 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

"Bush's 'Axis of Evil' Comes Back to Haunt United States"

Hmmmmmm. Interesting article.

So does this article point out that Bush's assessment was correct?
(Bush was accurate in using the label?)

Isn't he vindicated by events?

Or is the MSM saying they got mad and built nuclear weapons, just because Bush called them "evil"?

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Bush's 'Axis of Evil' Comes Back to Haunt United States [Re: lonestar2004]
    #6153769 - 10/10/06 11:03 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

did even you read it?

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #6153851 - 10/10/06 11:28 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

"Bush's 'Axis of Evil' Comes Back to Haunt United States"

'Nearly five years after President Bush introduced the concept of an "axis of evil" comprising Iraq, Iran and North Korea, the administration has'........

Comes back to haunt U.S.?????. Did they ever go away?

maybe I did not read it Properly. can you give me a Hint?

let me guess

It's Bush's fault!!!!

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
    #6156187 - 10/10/06 09:22 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I'd be willing to bet a small fortune that our problems with these countries (other than iraq) are actually blowback from things that we haven't been told about.

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Bush's 'Axis of Evil' Comes Back to Haunt United States [Re: Konnrade]
    #6156333 - 10/10/06 09:57 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Orly?

Offlineshroom_me
Stranger
Male

Loc: Usa
Re: Bush's 'Axis of Evil' Comes Back to Haunt United States [Re: Adden]
    #6156833 - 10/11/06 12:43 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

hey i know this is completely off topic but S_2 I LOVE those white shrooms what strain are they? Beautiful!!

Edited by shroom_me (10/11/06 12:44 AM)

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#6158085 - 10/11/06 12:36 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Each problem appears to feed on the others, making the stakes higher and requiring Bush and his advisers to make difficult calculations, analysts and U.S. officials said. The deteriorating situation in Iraq has undermined U.S. diplomatic credibility and limited the administration's military options, making rogue countries increasingly confident that they can act without serious consequences. Iran, meanwhile, will be watching closely the diplomatic fallout from North Korea's apparent test as a clue to how far it might go with its own nuclear program.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#6167483 - 10/13/06 11:01 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
Comes back to haunt U.S.?????. Did they ever go away?

maybe I did not read it Properly. can you give me a Hint?

let me guess

It's Bush's fault!!!!

Korea saw Bush invade Iraq (one of the axis of evil governments) and wanted a nuke of their own to prevent an American invasion of their country.

Makes perfect seance for them to do it IMO. It is what I would have done if I were Korea's leader.

Is it Bushes fault..........he certainly threw fuel on the fire now didn't he.

Would Korea have a nuke today if they hadn't felt threatened........I doubt it......so, in a way, it is Bushes fault that Korea has a nuke. He bullied them into protecting themselves in the only way they could.

Do you think that we would have invaded Afghanistan or Iraq if we knew that they had nukes?????

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Invisiblequiver
freedrug
Male

#6167494 - 10/13/06 11:06 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
did even you read it?

his opinion made sense to me and fits beautifully regarding the article

unlike you he posted his opinion about the article

you just waited with bait to insult his opinion

you should be banned for that,ive seen better men than you'll ever be cop the ban button for the same thing

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: Bush's 'Axis of Evil' Comes Back to Haunt United States [Re: niteowl]
    #6167647 - 10/14/06 12:14 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
Korea saw Bush invade Iraq (one of the axis of evil governments) and wanted a nuke of their own to prevent an American invasion of their country.

Makes perfect seance for them to do it IMO. It is what I would have done if I were Korea's leader.

Is it Bushes fault..........he certainly threw fuel on the fire now didn't he.

Would Korea have a nuke today if they hadn't felt threatened........I doubt it......so, in a way, it is Bushes fault that Korea has a nuke. He bullied them into protecting themselves in the only way they could.

I agree with you, niteowl.  Futhermore, in 1994 with Clinton's approval, Carter struck a deal with North Korea where they agreed to freeze their nuclear program in exchange for some fuel oil and two nuclear reactors.  A win-win outcome for both sides.  But in 2002, Bush declared North Korea part of the "Axis of Evil", ending shipments of fuel and cancelling the construction of the promised nuclear reactors.  Any moron could have predicted the outcome.  But the Bush administration apparently didn't. 

North Korea withdrew from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty, expelled atomic energy agency inspectors, resumed processing fuel rods and began developing nuclear explosive devices.  And four years later, BOOM...  :frown:

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Bush's 'Axis of Evil' Comes Back to Haunt United States [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #6167659 - 10/14/06 12:23 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Yes now they have a nuke too.

Big freaking deal.

It makes absolutely no difference in the long run.
Many countries have them.
Why is it such a big deal to everyone that Korea has one now too?

--------------------

Invisiblequiver
freedrug
Male

#6167961 - 10/14/06 02:13 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

the big deal is if they ever sell one to some mad enemy of ours i hope you live in the lucky city that cops it

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Bush's 'Axis of Evil' Comes Back to Haunt United States [Re: quiver]
    #6169008 - 10/14/06 01:12 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

quiver said:
the big deal is if they ever sell one to some mad enemy of ours i hope you live in the lucky city that cops it

:whatever:

More media driven propaganda.

The fear of a nuclear retaliation will prevent a country form from ever using a nuke on American soil.

Countries don't want nukes as a form of first strike........they want them as a deterrent from being attacked.

Why can't you see this very simple fact.

What do you think will happen to N Korea (or Iran, or any other country for that matter) if they nuked the U.S?

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #6169127 - 10/14/06 02:10 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The fear of a nuclear retaliation will prevent a country form from ever using a nuke on American soil.

It would help if you would actually read these posts before typing out a kneejerk reply. What part of

"the big deal is if they ever sell one to some mad enemy of ours i hope you live in the lucky city that cops it"

are you having difficulty grasping?

Phred

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: Bush's 'Axis of Evil' Comes Back to Haunt United States [Re: Phred]
    #6169148 - 10/14/06 02:25 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

What part of....

"The fear of a nuclear retaliation will prevent a country from from ever using a nuke on American soil.

Countries don't want nukes as a form of first strike........they want them as a deterrent from being attacked."

.....are you having trouble grasping?

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#6169182 - 10/14/06 02:38 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

*Sigh*

Do you honestly not grasp the difference between "country" and "mad enemy"? Is Osama bin Laden a country? Is Khalid Sheikh Mohammed a country?

How can you stand here in front of a forum made up mostly of rational people and pretend the numerous 'splodeydopes out there wouldn't leap at the chance to buy a nuke to use against The Great Satan? Do you have any idea how many orders of magnitude easier -- and more effective -- it would have been for ObL and his Merry Pranksters to have shipped a nuke on a tramp steamer into New York harbor and set it off than to have hijacked four commercial jets and crashed them (well... three out of the four, anyway) into buildings?

The 9/11 Commission's report made a point of stressing that the biggest failure of the US government in protecting America on that day was a lack of imagination. Your comments are proof the lack is not confined to members of the US government.

Phred

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#6169194 - 10/14/06 02:41 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

If OBL had nuked NY then Afghanistan would be glowing with the radiation of MANY nukes.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#6169250 - 10/14/06 03:05 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

You think so? I don't.

There are many people -- yourself included -- who even today still whine about "the US" "invading" Afghanistan. Not carpet-bombing Afghanistan, not blowing up shit at random, just going in there in an attempt to capture ObL and the boys.

You think these people (yourself included) would have accepted multiple nuking of Afghanistan -- not ObL, mind you, but Afghanistan as a country -- just because the attack on New York was done with a nuke rather than airplanes? Not hardly.

But maybe you'll surprise me. Maybe you'll claim you would have supported bombing Afghanistan with multiple nukes under such circumstances.

Phred

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#6169973 - 10/14/06 08:18 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
But maybe you'll surprise me. Maybe you'll claim you would have supported bombing Afghanistan with multiple nukes under such circumstances.

What makes you think that I would support the invasion of any country?
Especially a country that never threatened us.

We could have easily sent in an elite military group and had OBL with in a few weeks. No need to take over the whole country if all we wanted was one person. If you have ever talked to anyone from one of these elite military teams you would understand that they can go anywhere on the planet, without anyone knowing that they were there, and having a much less chance for collateral damage.

We went in to Afghanistan for revenge. We went in to take over their country and put in our own version of what a government should be. The whole OBL story was a sham. GWB even stated that he wasn't concerned w/OBL shortly after the invasion.

Pretty easy to see if you look at the whole picture.

Korea was well justified in acquiring a nuke.
America will think twice before invading them now.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#6170103 - 10/14/06 09:16 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

What makes you think that I would support the invasion of any country?

What makes you think Americans as a whole would back an administration dropping multiple nukes on Afghanistan? If you wouldn't support it, what is your reason for saying other Americans would?

YOU'RE the one saying if ObL had detonated a nuke rather than using hijacked planes, America would have dropped multiple nukes on Afghanistan. I'M the one saying they wouldn't. You don't even think about the things you type before you type them, do you?

Quote:

We could have easily sent in an elite military group and had OBL with in a few weeks.

Bullshit.

Quote:

No need to take over the whole country if all we wanted was one person.

You seem unable to realize that there is no "we" involved. It was a United Nations deal. You also seem unable to realize that the UN didn't take over the whole country (as Alex213 never tires of pointing out). You also forget how the Northern Alliance commanders were pissing and moaning loudly in public how the coalition forces were going about it all wrong and concentrating on the wrong places. That's because the coalition had a different agenda from the Northern Alliance. The Northern Alliance wanted to destroy the Taliban. The coalition wanted to capture ObL.

As it happens, the Northern Alliance accomplished its goal (and to this day they boast they would have accomplished it with no outside help, albeit perhaps not as rapidly) while the coalition forces didn't accomplish theirs -- democratically elected Afghanis now comprise the government of Afghanistan, but ObL has flown the coop.

Quote:

If you have ever talked to anyone from one of these elite military teams you would understand that they can go anywhere on the planet, without anyone knowing that they were there...

Bullshit.

Quote:

We went in to Afghanistan for revenge.

Bullshit.

Quote:

We went in to take over their country and put in our own version of what a government should be.

More bullshit.

Quote:

The whole OBL story was a sham.

Even more bullshit. What alternate universe do you live in, anyway?

Quote:

Korea was well justified in acquiring a nuke.
America will think twice before invading them now.

America would never have invaded North Korea and you know it. Why you pretend otherwise is beyond me.

Phred

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#6170847 - 10/15/06 02:18 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

America would never have invaded North Korea and you know it. Why you pretend otherwise is beyond me.

I didn't think America would invade Iraq either.......but they did. My opinion of what country America would invade is not the issue. What is the issue is what did Koera think about it. Obviously they thought that they may be targeted for attack, especially after the U.S. invaded Iraq.

You talk bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

You're just as full of it as anyone else who cant see why Korea acquired a nuke. (GWB claiming that they are an "axis of evil" then proceeding to attack these "evil empires")

If you really think that an elite military team could not have gotten OBL then you are just as full of bullshit as you claim I am. You apparently have never spent time in the U.S. military nor have you ever talked with some of these elite teams.

I have on both accounts.

The best way to get a small group of people is to send one of these elite teams in. Not to attack an entire country. :rolleyes:

OBL had plenty of time to leave the area. We told him we were coming. If we had secretly sent in a elite team he would have still been hiding out in the back woods of Afghanistan and gotten caught.

We didn't go to Afghanistan for OBL, we went there for revenge plain and simple. If the U.S. really wanted him he would be in Guantanamo now.

--------------------

Edited by niteowl (10/15/06 02:24 AM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#6170889 - 10/15/06 03:11 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Korea didn't acquire a nuke because Bush called them evil. They acquired a nuke because they wanted to do so, and they have wanted to do so for a very long time -- at least since the Clinton administration and possibly before that.

Quote:

If you really think that an elite military team could not have gotten OBL then you are just as full of bullshit as you claim I am.

Before 9/11? Sure they could have. It has been amply demonstrated that ObL could have been captured or killed on multiple occasions during the Clinton years. After 9/11? Different story. After 9/11 everything the US government did was under intense public scrutiny. So they played it by the book and went to the UN. One can argue that this was not the best course of action to take, but it is a pretty big stretch to claim it was a deliberate ploy calculated to
give ObL time to escape.

And of course, ObL KNEW they'd be coming after him and lost no time changing his previous lifestyle of swanning around Afganistan with Sheikh Omar of the Taliban and headed for the hills.

But all this talk of ObL is tangential to the question of NoKo's decade-long (at the least) quest for nukes.

Phred

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#6170948 - 10/15/06 04:44 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, N Korea (along with other nations) has wanted a nuke for as long as there have been nukes to be had.

Quote:

In 1993, North Korea refused to allow the International Atomic Energy Agency to conduct special inspections of some of its facilities and threatened to withdraw from the treaty.

Tensions escalated, and in 1994, Clinton began making contingency plans for a possible military strike on the nuclear facility, said Matthew Bunn, who worked on nuclear security issues in the Clinton White House.

The secretary of Defense had traveled to China to alert leaders there of America's plans. Clinton sent bombers to Guam, said Bunn, who is now a nuclear security specialist at Harvard.

But those plans were set aside when former President Carter flew to North Korea in June 1994, Bunn said. The talks led to an agreement that was signed in Geneva in October.

Under that deal, North Korea agreed to halt its existing nuclear program and the United States said it would help North Korea replace its nuclear reactors with light-water power plants. They also agreed to move toward normalizing political and economic relations.

link

To claim that Bush's actions did not accelerate Korea's desire to acquire nuclear weapons is (IMO) the pinnacle of ?ignorance? ?arrogance? ?blind faith? ?stupidity?

Im not trying to flame anyone.....I just really have no words to describe how utterly foolish it is to not be able to see this.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#6171215 - 10/15/06 09:24 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Why did you bother to post that?

It only makes my point for me. Everyone knows now that no sooner was the ink dry on the deal than the NoKo's violated it. And it was pretty damn easy for them to do so, since that buffoon Carter had agreed to the clause about no inspections at all for five years. Worse, Clinton went along with Carter's idiocy.

What took the Norks so long to finally get the bomb was not any slacking on their part while Clinton was still in power and then a sudden acceleration of effort when Bush called them names, but the simple fact that producing the material required is both expensive and (due to the law of physics) time consuming.

Anyone who thinks the Norks weren't going at it as fast as they could given the restrictions on their anemic (to be kind) economy for at the very least the last twelve years represents the pinnacle of ignorance? ?arrogance? ?blind faith? ?stupidity?

Phred

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#6171277 - 10/15/06 09:50 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I never claimed that they didn't want a nuke or weren't trying to build one....read my words.

Just that Bush's actions have placed more pressure on Korea to hurry up and make one now

I never said it was a good idea for any nation to have a nuke. I would love to see all nuclear weapons dismantled and turned into energy......but I know that will never happen. I understand that in the real world nations do want one and can also understand why certain nations are in a rush to get one.

As long as there is a desire to own a nuke, for whatever reason, nukes will continue to be built. Simple supply and demand. No different than Americas failed "War on Drugs"

It amazes me to see a country like America, with laws that state "Every citizen has the right to own and bear arms".....then turn around and try to tell other nations that they don't have the same right.

The hypocrisy of Americas foreign policy simply boggles my mind.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#6171304 - 10/15/06 09:57 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I never claimed that they didn't want a nuke or weren't trying to build one....read my words.

Just that Bush's actions have placed more pressure on Korea to hurry up and make one now.

Hey... you live in America. One of the countless good things about living in America is that every American has the right to be wrong.

You have every right to believe in the face of no evidence at all that the Norks were just loafing along on their nuke development program until Bush called them names in public, at which point they buckled down and went from 80% effort to 101%.

Just don't expect the rest of us to buy it.

Phred

--------------------

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
    #6171326 - 10/15/06 10:09 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Quote:

Just that Bush's actions have placed more pressure on Korea to hurry up and make one now.

Hey... you live in America. One of the countless good things about living in America is that every American has the right to be wrong.

You have every right to believe in the face of no evidence at all that the Norks were just loafing along on their nuke development program until Bush called them names in public, at which point they buckled down and went from 80% effort to 101%.

Just don't expect the rest of us to buy it.

Phred

The way I've heard it is that when Bush took office he killed all talks with NK and stopped making a concerted, public effort to keep NK limited to energy production for their nuclear program. And that since the cessation of talks (replaced with a hardline "our way or the highway, goodbye" stance) NK went full tilt into their weaponization program. The only response from Bush being increasingly ominous ultimatums with no follow-through.

Bush may not have forced NK to weaponize their nuclear program but he sure as hell failed to do jack squat about stopping or even slowing it down.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Bush's 'Axis of Evil' Comes Back to Haunt United States [Re: unbeliever]
    #6171499 - 10/15/06 11:16 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The way I've heard it is that when Bush took office he killed all talks with NK and stopped making a concerted, public effort to keep NK limited to energy production for their nuclear program.

Who'd you hear that from? Keith Olbermann or Noam Chomsky?

It bears no relation to reality. You'd do well to research the matter before posting again.

Phred

--------------------

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #6171513 - 10/15/06 11:21 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Quote:

The way I've heard it is that when Bush took office he killed all talks with NK and stopped making a concerted, public effort to keep NK limited to energy production for their nuclear program.

Who'd you hear that from? Keith Olbermann or Noam Chomsky?

It bears no relation to reality. You'd do well to research the matter before posting again.

Phred

Ahh, so flames and content-free replies are how it is here still? I remember now why I quit coming to this myopic, intellectual blackhole of a political forum. Who needs discussion when you have "my way or the highway" posts from the mods?

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#6171532 - 10/15/06 11:27 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I point out that what you "heard" is wrong. Either that or you misremember what you did actually hear.

There has been no shortage of discussion about the Norks' push for nukes in the five years I've been posting on this forum. Anyone who has been following with even half an eye the developments over that period of time would know what you "heard" is wildly inaccurate.

You can continue to post from a state of ignorance or you can inform yourself of the facts. No skin off my nose either way.

Phred

--------------------

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
    #6171546 - 10/15/06 11:32 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
I point out that what you "heard" is wrong. Either that or you misremember what you did actually hear.

There has been no shortage of discussion about the Norks' push for nukes in the five years I've been posting on this forum. Anyone who has been following with even half an eye the developments over that period of time would know what you "heard" is wildly inaccurate.

You can continue to post from a state of ignorance or you can inform yourself of the facts. No skin off my nose either way.

Phred

It was an open invitation for discussion. Prior to your retarded reply I was curious as to what your opinion on it was, specifically in regards to what I had heard about it. Your own assumptions about what I may or may not have been following is your own issue. At this point I could give a fuck less what your opinion is. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#6171579 - 10/15/06 11:45 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

It was an open invitation for discussion.

And my first contribution to your invitation was to advise you to first check your "facts". There have been literally dozens of threads in this forum covering the genesis of the NoKo nuke problem. I see no need for me to review them to disprove what you heard, especially since the regular readers of this forum know the facts as well as I do.

Quote:

Prior to your retarded reply I was curious as to what your opinion on it was, specifically in regards to what I had heard about it.

And I gave you not just my opinion on it, but the easily checkable truth -- what you heard is wrong. What more do I need to say? I knew you would not take my word for it (I wouldn't in your shoes), if you are truly interested in how the scenario progressed over the last twelve years or so you will take the time to check it out for yourself.

That's why I suggested you do so before posting again on the topic. If you don't want to... hey... that's your issue, not mine.

Quote:

At this point I could give a fuck less what your opinion is.

It's not my "opinion", it's fact. And easily checkable fact, at that. At this point I could give a fuck if you expend the effort to vderify that.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #6171793 - 10/15/06 01:18 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Article that relates to this discussion:

Newsweek

Quote:

The weird and scary saga of how an isolated, bankrupt nation went nuclear—and how the United States failed to stop it.

:grin:

:levitate:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#6172802 - 10/15/06 05:57 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Before 9/11? Sure they could have. It has been amply demonstrated that ObL could have been captured or killed on multiple occasions during the Clinton years. After 9/11? Different story. After 9/11 everything the US government did was under intense public scrutiny. So they played it by the book and went to the UN. One can argue that this was not the best course of action to take, but it is a pretty big stretch to claim it was a deliberate ploy calculated to
give ObL time to escape.

And the Bush administration did jack-shit before 9/11 even after they had intelligence that Bin Laden was planning an attack and after learning Bin Laden was responsible for the USS Cole bombing. They did nothing. Clinton at least captured the key players of the first WTC attack and attempted to kill Bin Laden twice (and right-wingers at the time accused Clinton of "wagging the dog" for doing so - idiots). Sure, Clinton could have done more, but he certainly did much more than Bush did pre-9/11.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#6173222 - 10/15/06 08:08 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Bush did nothing about getting bin Laden before 9/11, either. I have pointed that out in this forum before.

But claiming Clinton "attempted to kill" bin Laden is a bit of a stretch. He lobbed a few cruise missiles into empty camps, sure. On at least one of the occasions pretty much everything possible was done to make sure the camp would be empty.

Fact of the matter is neither administration did anything even halfway effective about capturing or killing him before 9/11 occurred.

Be that as it may, those failures have nothing to do with the NoKo's nuclear program.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
    #6177345 - 10/17/06 02:15 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Everyone knows now that no sooner was the ink dry on the deal than the NoKo's violated it.

Everyone knows??? I didn't know that. You'll need to provide a credible link, please.

Quote:

And it was pretty damn easy for them to do so, since that buffoon Carter had agreed to the clause about no inspections at all for five years. Worse, Clinton went along with Carter's idiocy.

"No inspections at all"??? You've just proven that you don't know the facts. Here's a link to the agreement that was signed:

AGREED FRAMEWORK BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

I suggest not using Ann Coulter as a news source.

The agreement says that inspections of North Korea's reactors were to begin immediately. Routine and ad hoc International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)Inspections of other North Korean facilities were to begin upon conclusion of the supply contract for the provision of the LWR project (after 6 months). North Korea would have to allow special inspections of anything the IAEA deemed necessary before any nuclear materials would ship to North Korea (after about 5 years).

Quote:

You can continue to post from a state of ignorance or you can inform yourself of the facts.

I believe you are the one who needs to learn the facts. Unless you have a source more credible than the agreement.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order