Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Vote on my Casing layer. [Re: HippieChick]
    #6151378 - 10/09/06 07:12 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

HC how many flushes do you average per casing? I've seen thicker casing layers substain better flushes longer personally. I speak from grains BTW

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Vote on my Casing layer. [Re: hyphae]
    #6151460 - 10/09/06 07:32 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Sweetie, i've spawned at a 1:50 ratio. Don't think i'm ragging or disrespecting you either HC. I've been at this for a long while now and know what I can and can't get away with. No harm in my posts toward you at all.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: Vote on my Casing layer. [Re: Hotnuts]
    #6151507 - 10/09/06 07:44 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

And by the way HC, that's hands down the most impressive un-cased cubensis substrate i've seen. :naughty:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #6151593 - 10/09/06 08:04 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Hotnuts said:
And by the way HC, that's hands down the most impressive un-cased cubensis substrate i've seen. :naughty:

That because she's got the touch! :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineMr420
Stranger
Male

Loc: Oompa loompa land
    #6151625 - 10/09/06 08:10 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Wow this is getting more heated than I thought :bouncysmoke: looks like peat's gonna win though.I may do a pre made peat mix that almost sounds too easy,but only if I find one thats close enough to a 50/50.

And HC I will kinda be contributing to that test,I have several jars each of 3 strains that will not get cased at all.I am spliting one cake each in half and 2 of each will just be whole cakes.Then the approx.12 2cake casings all together.I may even do 1 case each strain in moisture control just to test most everything at once,that way I will know whats best on try #2,and I'll be too busy trying new stuff(grain to poo)to worry whether my pf casings are right or not.

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Vote on my Casing layer. [Re: hyphae]
    #6151659 - 10/09/06 08:18 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
HC how many flushes do you average per casing? I've seen thicker casing layers substain better flushes longer personally. I speak from grains BTW 

Hi Hyphae :grin: I usually get 3-4.

This is flush 3 for this one . I just took these about a half hour ago

I can't find my notes right now , just got in from a long weekend , but when I do I'll post the weight of the first 2 flushes :grin:

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

Just found my notes . The uncased container , I did 3 like that this time , had flushes of 482 , 544 and 415 respectively .

I have 10 six pound each casings going at the moment . The best flushes so far have been 839 , 709 and 689 grams wet per flush. All were first flushes . The 839 and 689 were both uncased :thumbup:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

InvisibleHelltick
Player
 User Gallery

Loc: Deep...
    #6151673 - 10/09/06 08:21 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Will the miracle grow-MC be OK out of the bag or is pasteurizing still necessary?

thx.

--------------------
  My Agar Tek. 
  My Greenhouse Tek. 

"It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good"

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Trusted Cultivator
    #6151776 - 10/09/06 08:48 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HippieChick said:
Quote:

hyphae said:

Hi Hyphae :grin: I usually get 3-4.

This is flush 3 for this one . I just took these about a half hour ago

I can't find my notes right now , just got in from a long weekend , but when I do I'll post the weight of the first 2 flushes :grin:

:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

Just found my notes . The uncased container , I did 3 like that this time , had flushes of 482 , 544 and 415 respectively .

I have 10 six pound each casings going at the moment . The best flushes so far have been 839 , 709 and 689 grams wet per flush. All were first flushes . The 839 and 689 were both uncased :thumbup:

They look pretty cased to me HC.... Its almost like a doubled ended casing that you are attempting with the pf tek.

Personally, I think that casing ISNT imprtant, IF you have the right humidity levels in your growing environment, AND the substrate has somewhere to sponge moisture from - in your uncased pics, the substrate appears to be sitting on a bed of moist verm or something.

If thats the case (pardon the pun  :tongue:), then you ARE in fact providing a moisture resovoir for your substrate (somehwere to suck water from) - hence its not technically a completely unaided or uncased substrate afterall...

Also, with regards to spawn ratio - commercial farms spawn at a rate of 1%, with a thin layer of a higher ratio of spawn mix on the top that colonises a bit quicker than the rest of the substrate to prevent contams. So, a ratio of 1 to 15 is probably just fine. But, obviously, it takes longer to colonise - as hotnutz said, he waits 2 weeks.

I like a 30% spawn ratio at least so those bastards are ready to be cased within 4 or 5 days.

Its obvious you are BOTH doing the right thing - its just different methods. HC - you have a greenhouse that provides the humidity needed to get away without a casing layer, where Hotnutz uses no greenhouse, so gets his required humidity levels from a casing layer.

Potatoes, potatos. I personally have found a casing layer helps and will always use one. I did an experiment once where I left one monotub cased and the other one uncased - the uncased one didnt fruit for a month, when I'd had 2 flushes already from the cased tub. The uncased one still didnt fruit until I added a thin casing layer.

IMO, Its easier to get humidity levels right by adding one, then it is stuffing around with humidifiers and green houses...

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #6151830 - 10/09/06 08:58 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Its very sexy when you prove your point :mushroom2:
I dusted my pc off earlier tonight

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Vote on my Casing layer. [Re: _OttO_]
    #6151834 - 10/09/06 08:59 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

It is sitting on damp verm , what you see on top is discolorization from spores from the first 2 flushes . I still case , 7 are cased and 3 aren't . I just don't think I'm gonna worry about it that much anymore . From my experiences , the difference doesn't really outweigh the added work and expense . My uncased containers usually fruit first . Plus , you don't have to worry about all the mycelium popping through the layer at the same time . It colonizes and you place it in light . All the mycelium is getting light at the exact same time . :thumbup:

:heart: Hippie Chick

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineMr420
Stranger
Male

Re: Vote on my Casing layer. [Re: Helltick]
    #6151837 - 10/09/06 09:00 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Helltick said:
Will the miracle grow-MC be OK out of the bag or is pasteurizing still necessary?

One of the posts a few up said no,but with all this attention to clean I have went through I would just because it will seem half assed if not.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Vote on my Casing layer. [Re: Mr420]
    #6151960 - 10/09/06 09:22 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

yes, you definitely want to pasteurize the miracle gro mix.

ghetto microwave pseudo-pasteurization works well for it too :thumbup:

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Loc: Mycotopia.net
Re: Vote on my Casing layer. *DELETED* [Re: Mr420]
    #6153319 - 10/10/06 07:52 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by StroFun

Reason for deletion: I made a mod cry.

OfflineMr420
Stranger
Male

Re: Vote on my Casing layer. [Re: StroFun]
    #6153854 - 10/10/06 11:29 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah this thread got me excited too all the pros came to comment throwin around their pics of beutiful grows,I am definetly experimenting,somtimes like with casing there was just too many experiments to pick from.Thanks for the vote of luck,I'll be making a log soon there is a psuedo log in my journal for now.

Well thanks for all your votes and comments guys,I am off to home depot to see what kind of peat mixes I can find if none are to my liking I'll just mix up my own but 4 jars are getting cased tomorrow either way.Only 25 jars to go...

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#6161984 - 10/12/06 12:29 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Here's one from anticheffy at Topia that's also impressive. Uncased compost using PE6 multispore. No greenhouse either. A simple perlite terrarium.

Edited by Hotnuts (10/12/06 12:30 PM)

OfflineMr420
Stranger
Male

#6163334 - 10/12/06 06:42 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Damn thats a nice uncased one too,I ended up going with Mgrow moisture control 70/30 with verm.I figured fuck it just make up my own new casing type,the mgrow left a lot as far as texture to be desired but a cup of verm to 2-1/2 cups of m grow seemed the same as 50/50+ tek just without the balancing.

--------------------

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6163364 - 10/12/06 06:48 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

its not entirely new, ive done just that before... maybe a little less verm (and i used fine grade), probably in the 20% range :smile:

i dont actually have complaints about the texture of straight moisture control BUT the verm makes the mix more "crumbly" and a bit easier to apply evenly, which is certainly a bonus :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale