Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSalviaEngland
Omnipresence

Loc: Alternate Dimensions
Salvia Divinorum - High humidity v low
    #614842 - 04/21/02 05:33 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

High humidity growing v low humidity growing..

This topic came up in my post Salvia Divinorum Pics, but I feel it deserves its own thread.

You can grow salvia D at lower humidity, as I have, but from my experience when you placed the same plant in a humidity tent it grows allot faster. The plant that was grown out of a humidity tent was from a low humidity source, and did not need to be acclimatised. It is true that it would be easer to grow these plants as house plants outside a humidity tent, but if your wanting the best from your pant in terms of growth and health, I would suggest a humidity tent or humid environment is required.

Furthermore, the leafs of the plant I grow, out of the humidity tent, had black edges. I think this is due to fluctuations in humidity rather than just low humidity. It could be hypothesized that if the plant is not kept at a constant humidity, some of the leafs will form as high humidity while others low humidity. As a result some leafs will suffer when the conditions are not suited. Unfortunately I don?t have the recourse to test this theory scientifically.

Please respond I am very interested in your thoughts on this issue.

Interestingly under high humid conditions, roots form above the soil. I believe his helps the plant re-grow when the eventually fall over.

See the pic:

Thanks

Salvia England

--------------------

Cactus

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Re: Salvia Divinorum - High humidity v low [Re: SalviaEngland]
    #614851 - 04/21/02 05:42 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yes...i have noticed the same things....they really do appreciate the humidity.....beutiful plants by the way.......

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Offlinetriptamine
Navagator

Loc: SW
Re: Salvia Divinorum - High humidity v low [Re: SalviaEngland]
    #615209 - 04/22/02 03:43 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

My salvias grown in very low humidity (15% or so) grow very fast... I have a 18" tall plant in a 10" pot which I can pick about 10-15 large (3X6") leaves every 2 weeks. It is grown under a 400 watt metal halide lamp which is hung about 3 feet above the top of the plants. Can you make some comparison to your high humidity plants? Also- the leaves from these plants have no brown or black edges...just a tiny bit of black on some of the leaf tips (hardly noticable). I will try to take some pictures soon!

Jason

OfflineSalviaEngland
Omnipresence

Loc: Alternate Dimensions
Re: Salvia Divinorum - High humidity v low [Re: triptamine]
    #615469 - 04/22/02 12:19 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

As I suggested above, perhaps your plants are OK under lower humidity, because the humidity was fairly constant in comparison to my plant grown outside the humidity tent.

In comparison: I don?t pick as many leafs as that in such a short space of time from one plant. My largest leafs are 11? and my largest plant is 36? grown over winter 9 months since the cutting was taken. After removing the larger leafs most of the new leafs I will be picking will be between 3 and 7?. My plants only receive filtered light from a window.

A smaller plant of mine has grown to 19? from a 4? cutting in 7 weeks, however it is not very bushy 16 leafs only!.

Making direct comparisons is going to be difficult as there are so many variables to consider.

Thanks for the input.

I may try and set up a more reliable and valid comparison with some new cuttings when I have space.

SalviaENgalnd?.

--------------------

Cactus

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden