Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepodman19
sterilized?
    #614531 - 04/21/02 10:00 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

my plan was to boil 2 pots with 5 jars in each one for an hour to sterilize. things didnt go as planned. i was using my friends stove and his electric burners kept shutting off and not working properly. i only got to boil the jars for about 45 minutes, and it was at a pretty high boil because i could not control the burners like i wanted to. the jars were shut tight with tin foil over the sealing disc and underneath the threaded metal ring. some water was bubbling over the jars for a few minutes but i assume it didnt hurt anything since the jars were sealed. i just want to know if my jars will be sterilized enough or if they needed to be in there for the full hour. i heard of some people not sterilizing at all and still not getting contamination, i know that is very risky though, to not sterilize. but can someone tell me if they think they will be alright?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepodman19
Re: sterilized? [Re: podman19]
    #614569 - 04/21/02 11:34 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

i also left the jars in the trunk of my car overnight to cool. when i went out to get them today they were pretty cold and had some moisture on the outside of the jars, because itis only about 50 degrees outside today. will they be ok to inoculate today if i let them get to room temp? how long can you wait after sterilization to inoculate them? dont know if i will be able to do it today but there is alwaysa possibility i will have time

Offlinebluefoot
journeyman

Loc: Mother Earth
    #614571 - 04/21/02 11:35 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

It's all a calculated risk. When I broke my steroclave I had to settle for pasturization for a week or two. Yes, since it's whole grain, depending on the quality, you probably will get a little bit of contamination. If you're careful though, you won't have all that much. When I had to pasturize rye grain my contamination rate was somewhere around 25% or so. Not all that bad, considering... I guess it all depends on how many jars you're dealing with and how depressed you'll be when you see contamination. Personally, I wouldn't worry that much about your current bach. Good Luck!

peace
bluefoot

--------------------
peace
bluefoot

"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn

Offlinebluefoot
journeyman

Loc: Mother Earth
    #614576 - 04/21/02 11:55 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

You can inoculate them as soon as they are room temp.  Actually, as long as the jars aren't hot, any temp below 85 deg. will work.  The point of waiting is so that the spores don't get killed by the heat.  I wait about a week just to make sure they are sterile (i.e.  if nothing colored grows by then, they're sterile), but it's not totally necessary.  Go ahead and inoculate them; the sooner you do, the sooner they'll be colonized.  The excitement is about to begin.  :smile:

peace
bluefoot 

--------------------
peace
bluefoot

"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn

Offlinepodman19
Re: sterilized? [Re: bluefoot]
    #614631 - 04/21/02 01:09 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

thanks a lot guys, i'm going to inoculate in an hour

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation