Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
Contamination Survival
    #6132318 - 10/04/06 12:55 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i got some BRF/VERM jars going and i noticed today(day 7 since injection of spores) that i have some yellowish mold growing. up close, it almost looks powdery. this growth is in areas where the jars were not injected. i didn't use a pressure cooker to sterilize these, i used a large pot with water and cooked for an hour and a half.

could this be a contaminant that survive my cooking? could i have not cooked at a high enough temp? when i cooked, i just let the water stem, it only had a few bubbles coming up here and there.

next time i cook some up, should i cook at a temp where bubbles are coming up and for 2 hours? could i have avoided this?

thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinespeeddealer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Contamination Survival [Re: LayYouIn]
    #6132356 - 10/04/06 01:03 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I boil my jars all the time. Put a washcloth on the bottom, bring water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. I always have a second pot of boiling water ready at about 45-60 minutes and then add a few cups of boiling water to replace what was lost to steam. Keep it covered until it's cool to preserve the sterile environment in the pot. So far, I've done dozens with this method and no problems (knocks on wood)

It looks like that mold started at the top though. If you are using a glass, it's possible you made some mistakes (wet verm layer, bad seal, etc) What altitude do you live at? Water boils at lower temps in higher altitudes (Boyle's Law) That said, I've seen people do it with water glasses it's possible but more susceptible to contams.

Edited by speeddealer (10/04/06 01:04 PM)

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Re: Contamination Survival [Re: speeddealer]
    #6132547 - 10/04/06 01:57 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i just noticed that the 4 contaminated jars(out of 6 total) i have, where all boil in the same pot. the other 2 that show no signs of contaminants, were boil in a different pot. im guessing i didn't boil them at a high enough temp. i threw them out and will redo tomorrow.

Quote:

speeddealer said:
It looks like that mold started at the top though. If you are using a glass, it's possible you made some mistakes (wet verm layer, bad seal, etc) What altitude do you live at? Water boils at lower temps in higher altitudes (Boyle's Law) That said, I've seen people do it with water glasses it's possible but more susceptible to contams.

the mold is actually all over, but mainly in spots where i didn't inject. there is mycelium growth where i did inject though. i live in oregon, so, a high altitude...never did think about that. wont the substrate inside of my jars boil if the water is boiling. everytime i try to boil with a normal boil, i end up with a thick mush filling the bottom half of my jars.

Offlinespeeddealer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Contamination Survival [Re: LayYouIn]
    #6132574 - 10/04/06 02:04 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

If you are using glasses that could be the problem you don't want mush in the jars. Sounds like your 'glasses' aren't sealed well enough. Before and after cooking my jars are somehwat like damp beach sand, not soggy though. Like I said, it can be done with a water glass--but I would follow the PF Tek to the letter, and that includes jars for us noobs. You really can't go wrong with that tried and true method.

OfflineSinthetic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Contamination Survival [Re: speeddealer]
    #6140202 - 10/06/06 12:03 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You'll have a much better success rate if you get yourself a pressure cooker.

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Re: Contamination Survival [Re: Sinthetic]
    #6144554 - 10/07/06 07:53 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Sinthetic said:
You'll have a much better success rate if you get yourself a pressure cooker.

yeah, i've been contemplating this recently. but once i get down the boiling process again(the only part i seem to fuck up at) i wont want to buy one.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags