Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Successful outdoor cultivation of the Weraroa pouch fungus [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #6253489 - 11/06/06 12:48 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, I am getting there. I just did the arcana. I had a new gallery set up to hold the new microscopy composites.

http://www.sporeworks.com/gallery/composites

On the basidia, I cheat the depth of field problem using Helicon Focus to combine several images focused at different depths. Worth checking out and it works pretty good in the free version, although its not perfect with transparent material (The arcana basidia shows the method to good effect). I try to use fresh material since the spores tend to cling onto the basidia better and I like to see the spores. The arcana composite isn't done. The spores are from the gill tissue and not a print, so they may not be representative of mature spores. And the gill tissue in the back ground makes it too dark. I will fix that later.

I have an offbrand (Amscope) professional trinocular microscope with a digital camera attachment. It was relatively cheap (under $600 complete) and it works fine for my purposes. All of the images are taken with the oil immersion objective and the pictures are huge. I have to reduce them dramatically to post.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Edited by Workman (11/06/06 02:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Successful outdoor cultivation of the Weraroa pouch fungus [Re: Workman]
    #6254348 - 11/06/06 04:41 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Looks good - id love to see some pics of different races of pan cyanescens as the ones i have vary considerably.
Great pics though.
I think the word 'sporeworks' makes it a little difficult to see the cystidia on the arcana pic.
kepp thbem coming mate

--------------------

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: Successful outdoor cultivation of the Weraroa pouch fungus [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #6255052 - 11/06/06 07:35 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

There was an excellent picture by MJ of a Copelandia SEM with pleurocystidia and basidia.

I dont know how he got such an oddly shaded and sharp image, it truely looks crystal clear, almost fake! The pictures I took were quite different in appearance, I dont know how that works.

I might be able to pay to use the SEM now that my projects over, I dont think it costs too much.

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: Successful outdoor cultivation of the Weraroa pouch fungus [Re: Feelers]
    #6255066 - 11/06/06 07:38 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Whats the deal with transmission electron microscopes - are they even better?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Successful outdoor cultivation of the Weraroa pouch fungus [Re: Feelers]
    #6256957 - 11/07/06 10:41 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I'm going to be using that pic of mj's in my video. He sent me the full 1.5 meg version. I wish I had access to one of those.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Successful outdoor cultivation of the Weraroa pouch fungus [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6257022 - 11/07/06 11:00 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Oh man, me too. I wonder how much a used one would cost? I'll put it on my wish list with the gene sequencer.

I apologize for the obtrusive watermark. I have been complaining about that for awhile. I'll see what I can do to change it and I think I can have the resolution in that gallery bumped up as well. Still a work in progress and I'll be doing more Pan cyans eventually.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Edited by Workman (11/07/06 11:08 AM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #6264068 - 11/09/06 01:53 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

keep up the good work as always bro.

--------------------

Offlinejoesmithjoe
Stranger
    #6796163 - 04/16/07 06:45 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Is there any update on this project?

--------------------
Be Part of The New Pan Movement!!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7559934/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1
cubies are for kiddies, grow pans!

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Successful outdoor cultivation of the Weraroa pouch fungus [Re: joesmithjoe]
    #6796709 - 04/16/07 08:08 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6617023#6617023

Not much new on this particular species. Indoor attempts haven't been started yet.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #6803604 - 04/18/07 09:31 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Workman said:
I harvested the large specimen today (see pictures in top post). It didn't seem to be getting any larger so I guessed that it must be mature. A good amount of spores are visible in the cut specimen as well as significant bluing. It smells potent and the flesh is tough like cartilage.

That made me laugh out loud. Ive never heard anyone say that a mushroom smells potent. Id love to find out just how potent them bad boys are.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Successful outdoor cultivation of the Weraroa pouch fungus [Re: Psychoslut]
    #6803946 - 04/18/07 11:08 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

All of the active species have this characteristic rank smell. The more I gag, the more potent it smells to me. Hehe.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #6806455 - 04/18/07 09:36 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Ive only smelled like three different species of actives, but I know what you are talking about. I'm sure with your amount of experience you could guess the number of milligrams of psilocybin in a mushroom and come out close lol.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineLuber
Stranger
    #9154260 - 10/29/08 01:44 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Old thread I know, but FYI here's an interesting recent article on Strophariaceae taxonomy, which cites more current scholarly journals than the latest references I found on the other Shroomery posts  - looks like all Psilocybes should really be called Weraroa:
http://www.mssf.org/mnews/0809mn.pdf

more background here for those not as familiar with the material:
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/stropharia.html
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/strophariaceae.html

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Successful outdoor cultivation of the Weraroa pouch fungus [Re: Luber]
    #9154361 - 10/29/08 02:11 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Nice article.  I didn't take the picture credited to me btw, I emailed Peter to let him know.

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Successful outdoor cultivation of the Weraroa pouch fungus [Re: Luber]
    #9156777 - 10/29/08 10:03 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Only the bluing Psilocybe species will most probably be changed to Weraroa, the other non bluing species will retain their genus name of Psilocybe.
This is an interesting read for people interested in taxonomy!
Who knows what Leratiomyces ceres looks like:grin:
inski..

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Successful outdoor cultivation of the Weraroa pouch fungus [Re: inski]
    #9160127 - 10/30/08 05:14 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The article was an interesting read.  I'll post the final summary here for those too lazy to click the link...

Quote:

So, in summary, it seems the best-known Psilocybe may possibly be called Weraroa, the best-known Weraroa have been renamed Leratiomyces, and one of our most common wood chip fungi has gone from Stropharia aurantiaca (or, if you prefer, Hypholoma or Naematoloma aurantiacum) to Leratiomyces ceres.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder