Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinegregorio
Too Damn Old
Male

Loc: Classified
China Jamming Test Sparks U.S. Satelite Concers
    #6139556 - 10/06/06 06:48 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I havn't heard anything about this from the major media on the television (but then again I havn't been watching alot of T.V. either),
but I think this is a major developement.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenew...&src=rss&rpc=22

Quote:

China has beamed a ground-based laser at U.S. spy satellites over its territory, a U.S. agency said, in an action that exposed the potential vulnerability of space systems that provide crucial data to American troops and consumers around the world.

The Defense Department remains tight-lipped about details, including which satellite was involved or when it occurred.

The issue looms large, given that U.S. military operations have rapidly grown more reliant on satellite data for everything from targeting bombs to relaying communications to spying on enemy nations.

Critical U.S. space assets include a constellation of 30 Global Positioning Satellites that help target bombs and find enemy locations. This system is also widely used in commercial applications, ranging from car navigation systems to automatic teller machines.

But there is growing concern among lawmakers about U.S. efforts to develop such anti-satellite weapons.

Our enemies do not need bombs to bring us to our knees, just jam our satelites and our economy will crumble overnight.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: China Jamming Test Sparks U.S. Satelite Concers [Re: gregorio]
    #6139900 - 10/06/06 09:43 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe the thought that they are not invincible will keep the US Government from invading other countries without provocation in the future...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineRosettaStoned
Stranger

Loc: North America
    #6140023 - 10/06/06 10:53 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Lou Dobbs did a piece on this, but then it was virtually buried the next day.

--------------------
"Government big enough to provide you with all you need is also big enough to take everything you have." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"Without stupid, faggy potheads we wouldn't have wars." - Zappa

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #6141280 - 10/06/06 06:20 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Real national defense concerns don't make news.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

#6141348 - 10/06/06 06:54 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

gregorio said:
Our enemies do not need bombs to bring us to our knees, just jam our satelites and our economy will crumble overnight.

Presently they can't do that, according to USA Today ( http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2006-10-05-satellite-laser_x.htm?POE=TECISVA ) it's extraordinarily difficult to actually take down a satellite with a laser.

At present, the most the Chinese can do is temporarily blind them, and even then, only when they have a ground line-of-sight. That means satellites in geo-synchronous orbit not over China, as well as satellites that don't normally cross over China, would be immune even from temporary blindness. Furthermore, the DoD seems convinced that lower-orbit satellites can't be hit, probably because the lower orbit means a faster velocity.

Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags