Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

Psilocybe Friscosa thread
    #6140295 - 10/06/06 12:41 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I think we should start a thread on the already notorious P. friscosa. ANY information regarding this strange newly discovered mushroom would be helpful. I myself would like to pinpoint it and figure out how to properly discern it from the similar P. azurescens, the P. cyanofibrillosa and other PNW psilocybes. I for one think I have encountered this species. Some are saying this is San Francisco's own brand of P. azurescens.

What do I know about it?

a) its found in the bay area. Richmond, San Francisco, etc.
b) Macroscopically it is similar to P.azurescens, P. cyanofibrilosa and sometimes even P. cyanescens.
c) Its extremely potent. Even upon drying it seems to keep its potency, suggesting that its lower in psilocin and higher in psilocibyn.
d) Its potency can be compared to P. azurescens and P. cyanescens.

Can anyone add to this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIce House Shaman
Rider on the Storm
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Psilocybe Friscosa thread [Re: deathcapcubensis]
    #6140473 - 10/06/06 01:42 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

is it a wood lover and where can I get a print? :eek:

--------------------
you are not who i thought i was...

OfflineSweetLeaf
"33"
 User Gallery

Loc: wa
Re: Psilocybe Friscosa thread [Re: Ice House Shaman]
    #6140621 - 10/06/06 02:16 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Wasn't even aware of such species. A chance of some citation?

--------------------
Ph.dizzle

Offlinedeathcapcubensis
hunter
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Friscosa thread [Re: SweetLeaf]
    #6140827 - 10/06/06 03:29 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

well I dont know if has been officially named that...but if I recall correctly thats what it has been reffered to as for the last few seasons... search "friscosa".

Sweetleaf,
people have been finding this mushroom in the bay area, that is a fact. However there may be more than one species being found that is under the "friscosa" name. Very little is known, all we know is what I posted above.

Ice house,
its a woodlover. Print? I would ask around but there havnt been enough specimens collected(I dont think).

Regards

Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

Loc: 埼玉県&...
Re: Psilocybe Friscosa thread [Re: deathcapcubensis]
    #6140845 - 10/06/06 03:35 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

The last word on this was that it microscopically very similar to Psilocybe cyanescens and was believed to be just that. Macroscopically it is another story. Auweia seems to find them in abundance as do others in the Bay Area. I am sure that this year will prove the same, that they will be found with the same frequency as cyanescens by the Bay Area hunters.

--------------------
I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur I see a big light blur.

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

OfflineSweetLeaf
"33"
 User Gallery

Loc: wa
Psilocybe Friscosa thread [Re: baycafe]
    #6140984 - 10/06/06 04:22 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

If it's similiar macroscopically to Ps. cyanescens, azurescens, and cyanfibrilosa, what are the differences? I mean, I realize you think you may have found it...but what made you think you found it?

Was it simple how you reacted on bioassay, or was there a distinct physical feature that made you go "hmmmmm."?

I am curious, not skepitical. Woodlovers are very interesting to me.

Some info I've dug up from this site:

Quote:

Quankus said:
Quote:

Strophariaceae said:
Quote:

Quankus said:
I hope the updated psilocybe list contains info on the new bay area species aka cyanofriscosa.

Guzman has seen a collection that I've sent him - he identifies it as Psilocybe cyanescens, but I'm not so sure. I'm doing work on this group for my California monograph. I think the California "cyanofibrillosa" is a distinct species, but on the other hand, I see a range of gradation between P. cyanescens and "cyanofriscoa", which implies that they might be crossing with each other, which would make them the same biological species. (Note that interfertility between P. azurescens and P. cyanescens has also been demonstrated.)

My schedule for publishing my California monograph won't be until next year, so unless there's a delay in Guzman's finishing his world monograph, a lot of my findings won't be incorporated into that work. (Since I've done lots of in-depth study of California Psilocybe populations that Guzman isn't able to do - which would be true of anybody writing a regional monograph as opposed to a world one - the information in my monograph will not be redundant.) Its to be expected, though, that there will continue to be ongoing work on the genus and lots of name changes, even after Guzman publishes his monograph.

Peter

The tallest friscosa i have ever seen was in GGP growing right next to a cyan patch. I have a mediocre cell phone picture of it. But, usually friscosas don't get much taller than a few inches, this one's stem was 5+, which is a characteristic cyans have.
I agree the new bay area species did come from cyans/fibs but i've seen them fresh right next to each other and you can distinguish a number of differences. They are a mutation of the two, in my amatuer opinion.
keep up the good work. and post some pics maybe?

Really limited...mj will probably have a response to all this.

--------------------
Ph.dizzle

Edited by SweetLeaf (10/06/06 07:05 PM)

Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Friscosa thread [Re: SweetLeaf]
    #6141095 - 10/06/06 05:18 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I never claimed to have 'found it' though I suspect you meant to use the reply-to feature but forgot.

--------------------
I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur I see a big light blur.

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Friscosa thread [Re: baycafe]
    #6141166 - 10/06/06 05:38 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

myea

Edited by auweia (01/08/07 11:39 PM)

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Friscosa thread [Re: auweia]
    #6141173 - 10/06/06 05:40 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

oh...I should mention some of these are normal cyanescens in the above photos...all these was in the same area...you had cyans on one side of a long burm in front of a 5 star hotel, then at the end a bunch of these friscosas..pretty much the same long patch here

Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

#6141201 - 10/06/06 05:47 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Good to see you back on the boards auweia :smile:

--------------------

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

Offlinekloomie
Mushroom Guru
Male User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Friscosa thread [Re: baycafe]
    #6141277 - 10/06/06 06:18 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Do these Friscosa mushrooms grow in the Western Washington region? They look and sound intresting.

--------------------
"Mushrooms hold the master key to your mind, any door to anywhere can be unlocked."
~Myslef~

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

#6141306 - 10/06/06 06:35 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

They look like they may have been pretty dry. Is that so, or am I just imagining it?

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Psilocybe Friscosa thread [Re: psiclops]
    #6141499 - 10/06/06 08:18 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

i think they are called friscosa cause they are found around san fransisco california. thats not a fact just a guess. the bay area here is loaded with actives.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe Friscosa thread [Re: CptnGarden]
    #6141523 - 10/06/06 08:27 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomieOfDoomie said:
i think they are called friscosa cause they are found around san fransisco california. thats not a fact just a guess. the bay area here is loaded with actives.

'friscosa' is just a slang...Somebody made up the name last year and it stuck...they did it here on this board too..you might be able to find it in the archives.

As far as we know these have never been seen outside of California..They've been spotted in Sacramento, but that's about as far away from San Francisco I heard of. And some of those in the photo are a little dry, as in not soaking wet right after a rain...That's just because of a full day of low humidity between storms, and a little windy. They turn lighter on color just like cyans do (hygrophanous)...They are a little bit more brittle than cyans tho, especially around the cap..they don't bend quite as far as cyans do at the same moisture level...Not as rubbbery as cyans..not as dense...but they certainly get bigger...like tens times as big with the same potency...Bigger than some cubensis I've seen with twice the potency

4 inches in diameter

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#6141541 - 10/06/06 08:33 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

myea

Edited by auweia (01/08/07 11:40 PM)

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#6141574 - 10/06/06 08:45 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

myea

Edited by auweia (01/08/07 11:42 PM)

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#6141667 - 10/06/06 09:21 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

myea

Edited by auweia (01/08/07 11:41 PM)

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#6142072 - 10/06/06 11:51 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

myea

Edited by auweia (01/08/07 11:42 PM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #6142226 - 10/07/06 12:55 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Im sorry but who ever wrote this doesnt really know what they are talking about:
'Guzman has seen a collection that I've sent him - he identifies it as Psilocybe cyanescens, but I'm not so sure. I'm doing work on this group for my California monograph. I think the California "cyanofibrillosa" is a distinct species, but on the other hand, I see a range of gradation between P. cyanescens and "cyanofriscoa", which implies that they might be crossing with each other, which would make them the same biological species. (Note that interfertility between P. azurescens and P. cyanescens has also been demonstrated.)

My schedule for publishing my California monograph won't be until next year, so unless there's a delay in Guzman's finishing his world monograph, a lot of my findings won't be incorporated into that work. (Since I've done lots of in-depth study of California Psilocybe populations that Guzman isn't able to do - which would be true of anybody writing a regional monograph as opposed to a world one - the information in my monograph will not be redundant.) Its to be expected, though, that there will continue to be ongoing work on the genus and lots of name changes, even after Guzman publishes his monograph.

Peter '

Gartz and others demonstrated that azurescens and cyanescens were not compatible - if they were azurescens would have never been delineated in the first place. Infact ive read NO studies were any spore compatibility was demonstrated between azurescens and cyanescens.
Secondly, I wouldnt be sending mushrooms to Guzman for identification purposes. He uses outdated methods to delineate species based on minute variations in cystidia shapes and sizes. And he commonly makes errors with these delineations.
Why would someone be making a monograph anyway if Guzman has already done it?
This person makes a statement that suggests that he doesnt believe this species is indeed a regional phenotype of Ps.cyanescens yet provides no evidence of why he thinks this.

At the end of the day I dont see what all the mystery is - working out what it is wouldnt be that challenging - get it under a scope - isozyme protein studies, DNA studies, compatibility studies would all be conclusive.

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #6142236 - 10/07/06 01:00 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Actually those look a lot like Ps.subaeruginosa. I wouldnt be surprised if they were. But they are also very similar to Ps.cyanescens and ive seen stranger regional phenotypes.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom