Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Sterilizing w/o a PC
    #612228 - 04/18/02 06:50 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

How do i sterilize w/o a PC. I tried in a big pot and a vegetable steamer on the bottom to keep the jars off the bottom of the pot. But the jars BROKE. I think i made the water boil too fast. Any suggestions before I give it another shot?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrankenstein

Re: Sterilizing w/o a PC [Re: ]
    #612229 - 04/18/02 06:54 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I did the same thing before I got a PC, but mine never broke. Place a washcloth in the bottom of the pot so the jars aren't in direct contact with the heat source.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilizing w/o a PC [Re: Frankenstein]
    #612313 - 04/18/02 08:26 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

if you had read his post.....he said he used a Veggie Steamer.
so they weren't on the bottom.

try bringing up the temp slowly......and never turn the heat all the way up.
3/4 is far enough.

Good luck!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineCub
Loc: Northern VA
Re: Sterilizing w/o a PC [Re: Roadkill]
    #612328 - 04/18/02 08:43 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

wow for real?  I haven't been around the 'shroom world for quite a while.  Last time I visited the board people were still saying you need a 15 or higher psi PC.  Funny how times change.  Now those bags are out already filled with medium, all you gotta do is inject them.  How idiot proof can shroom growing get?  I'm not complaining, I think it's the coolest that all this has become as widespread as it has.  Although I'd hate to see the spores become illegal, I'm not at the self-suficient stage yet.
"Why back in the day we had to walk to school with boxes for shoes, five miles in the snow..." You get the idea :smile:
Pea's 

OfflineRaven_420
TITLE

Loc: Canada
    #612891 - 04/19/02 12:24 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

My buddy's never used a pressure cookers so far, and he hasn't had one contam. But that doesn't mean dick. His jars are still only about 3/4 colonized, so we will see how they do. But so far so good... So this is what he does. Let's just say it was me to make things easier.... Ok.. I first put a colander in the bottom of the pot, and then put enough water into the pot to cover up the colander completely (about 1- 1.5" of water) and then bring the water to a very light boil. I usually have to wait for about 30 minutes to get the boil just perfect seeing as I don't have a gas stove. Then once the water is just barely boiling, like to the point where if you take off the lid, it stops boiling, I add the jars (I can fit 4) and then replace the lid and leave for approx. 45 mins. I sometimes open up the lid about half-way through to wipe any excess water off of the tin foil on the top of the jars. Some people say not to take the lids off at all.... It's your call. Anyway... this method has worked for my friend every time he's used it so far. So there you are. Hope this helps.

-Raven

--------------------
* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #613034 - 04/19/02 03:42 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

The PF Tek doesn't even say anything about a pressure cooker, it ONLY gives instructions for cooking with a vegetable steamer. So I don't think there should be a problem (as long as you're using the PF Tek or something similar as guidelines). My syringe came yesterday (Mazapatec), so in a little bit, I will be testing the Tek out for myself. I can't wait!

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Sterilizing w/o a PC [Re: fireworks_god]
    #613190 - 04/19/02 06:54 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Are you sure you read the PF-Tek?

From http://www.fanaticus.com/sub-prep.htm

"PRESSURE CANNER USE
PF jars and water bottles can be quickly sterilized with a pressure canner. For proper and safe use of the pressure canner, always refer to the manual that comes with it. If the canner is used and has no manual , try to get one from the manufacturer before using it. Pressure canners can be dangerous if used incorrectly. "

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag