Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Teens Hospitalized After OD'ing On Cough Medicine
    #6125502 - 10/02/06 06:20 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.wftv.com/news/9984318/detail.html

Teens Hospitalized After OD'ing On Cough Medicine

POSTED: 4:29 pm EDT October 2, 2006
UPDATED: 6:09 pm EDT October 2, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Four teenagers were rushed to the hospital in Orlando on Monday, after overdosing on cough medicine. Local schools said it's becoming more prevalent and some teens are doing it to relieve stress.

It seems harmless enough, but in large doses what's in cough medicine can kill you. The active ingredient is dextromethorphan, or DXM.

Since, police said, most teens get their high from taking Coricidin Cold and Cough or Chest Congestion and Cough, it's often referred to as "triple C'ing." An undercover detective told Eyewitness News the high can be equal to that from LSD or PCP.

"It gives them a carefree feeling, where they don't worry about anything anymore," the detective said.

Monday morning, four teens, between 14 and 16 years old, were taken from a youth shelter to Orlando Regional Medical Center by ambulance after overdosing on Coricidin. One teen took 32 pills, the others 16 each.

The girl who took the most was hallucinating, vomiting and very tired. All were luckily going to be okay, but police said it's indicative of a much larger problem in local high schools, even middle schools and it's affecting teens from all walks of life.

"Straight A students, sometimes they get so stressed out, they'll do it to relieve stress," the undercover detective said.

It's such a concern, Orlando police are trying to set up a program to alert teachers in schools.

Dextromethorphan is in any cough suppressant sold over the counter at the local grocery store or pharmacy, from the well-known brands like Robitussin to Coricidin HBP and even the generic variety.

Ultimately, abusers can suffer a heart attack. Since teens often take the red tablet form of Coricidin HBP to get high, the drug is also called candy, skittles and red devils.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

Re: Teens Hospitalized After OD'ing On Cough Medicine [Re: motaman]
    #6125520 - 10/02/06 06:25 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Equal to that from LSD or PCP? I don't know about that.

I think I'd much rather ingest a few little pieces of paper than an entire bottle of cough syrup in any case.

Offlinedrugsaregoodmmk
Stranger
Male
    #6125526 - 10/02/06 06:27 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

well that high is a trip and in my opinion is not a stress releiver

--------------------
"Guess who's back in the mutha fuckin house with a fat dick for ya mutha fuckin mouth"- Snoop Dogg

OfflineNephlyte
Misfortunate One
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #6126537 - 10/02/06 09:47 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

motaman said:

Since, police said, most teens get their high from taking Coricidin Cold and Cough or Chest Congestion and Cough, it's often referred to as "triple C'ing." An undercover detective told Eyewitness News the high can be equal to that from LSD or PCP.

Never heard that in my life.

Also, this 'undercover detective' is retarded. equal to that of LSD or PCP? Those things are not even equal to each other. Also, as a side note, tussin is nothing like LSD OR PCP.

"well that high is a trip and in my opinion is not a stress releiver "

Agreed.

--------------------
"To do right is to know what you want. Now when you are dissatisfied with yourself it's because you are after something you don't really want. What objects are you proposing to yourself? Are they the objects you really value? If they are not, you are cheating yourself. I don't meant that if you chose to pursue the objects you most value, you will attain them; of course not. Your experience will tell you that. But success in getting after much labor what you really don't care for is the bitterest and most ridiculous failure." -George Santayana

Offlineopenfire
Stranger
Re: Teens Hospitalized After OD'ing On Cough Medicine [Re: Nephlyte]
    #6126872 - 10/02/06 11:04 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i took 30 pills before and had the most amazing time. i experienced stuff that i could never explain.

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: Teens Hospitalized After OD'ing On Cough Medicine [Re: openfire]
    #6127285 - 10/03/06 01:35 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

openfire said:
i took 30 pills before and had the most amazing time. i experienced stuff that i could never explain.

shh

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #6127390 - 10/03/06 04:32 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

> It seems harmless enough, but in large doses [it] can kill you.

That describes almost every substance on the planet, including water.

> An undercover detective told Eyewitness News the high can be equal to that from LSD or PCP.

Thats of like saying chocolate ice cream has about the same taste as chopped liver.

> "It gives them a carefree feeling, where they don't worry about anything anymore,"

Sounds like your average teenager to me.

> "Straight A students, sometimes they get so stressed out, they'll do it to relieve stress,"

Kids will be kids.

> Ultimately, abusers can suffer a heart attack.

Yeah, eating too much fatty food is bad for your health.

Hmm... I have never tried to rewrite one of these... lets see how I do:

Quote:

Teens Hospitalized After Drinking Excess Cough Medicine

POSTED: 4:29 pm EDT October 2, 2006
UPDATED: 6:09 pm EDT October 2, 2006
UPDATES: 6:18 am EDT Octoboer 3, 2006 by the Shroomery

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Four teenagers were taken to the hospital in Orlando on Monday, after drinking too much cough medicine. Local schools said it's becoming more prevalent and some teens are doing it to explore.

It is harmless enough, but in large doses what's in cough medicine can act as a dissociative. The active ingredient is dextromethorphan, or DXM.

Since, police said, most teens get their high from taking Coricidin Cold and Cough or Chest Congestion and Cough, it's often referred to as "triple C'ing." An undercover detective told Eyewitness News that taking too much CCC is very dangerous, because of the antihystamine present in the pills.

Monday morning, four teens, between 14 and 16 years old, were taken from a youth shelter to Orlando Regional Medical Center by ambulance after binging on Coricidin. One teen took 32 pills, the others 16 each.

The girl who took the most was hallucinating, vomiting and very tired - all common side effects of larger dosages of DXM. All are going to be absolutely fine, showing that the dangers of the substances consumed is relatively benign, but police said it's indicative of a much larger problem in local high schools, even middle schools and it's affecting teens from all walks of life.

"Straight A students, sometimes they want to explore, they'll do it for fun," the undercover detective was thinking though he said something different.

It's such a concern, Orlando police are trying to set up a program to alert teachers in schools rather than parents and community leaders. By this time next year, police hope to have outlawed cough syrup, banned communities, and tossed all parents into prison after shipping their children off to child labor camps overseas. Police say that strong love has too be hard.

Dextromethorphan is in any cough suppressant sold over the counter at the local grocery store or pharmacy, from the well-known brands like Robitussin to Coricidin HBP and even the generic variety. If you are a teenager, and you want to get high, this is where you need to go and what you need to buy. We need more teens to end up in the hospital so that we can put an end to this scurge.

Ultimately, everybody will die and death is dangerous. Since teens often take the red tablet form of Coricidin HBP to get high, rather than the safer eco-friendly non-global warming green pill, the drug is also called candy, skittles and red devils. We are unsure why the green pill isn't called candy or skittles, but that isn't really important. Red is a dangerous color and that is what matters here!

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

#6127396 - 10/03/06 04:40 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

motaman said:

It seems harmless enough, but in large doses what's in cough medicine can kill you. The active ingredient is dextromethorphan, or DXM.

What the fuck, stupid misleading bigots... (the) DXM will not kill you... secondary active ingredients WILL... spreading misinformation will kill more of your children people...

Edit: 'the' added before DXM

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

Edited by ExplosiveMango (10/03/06 11:40 AM)

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Teens Hospitalized After OD'ing On Cough Medicine [Re: ExplosiveMango]
    #6127431 - 10/03/06 05:32 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

> DXM will not kill you...

Just like water, if you consume too much, you can die.

> spreading misinformation will kill more of your children people...

I agree. You should probably be more careful with your statements.

--------------------

OfflineHiHi
Hi
Loc: NZ1
Re: Teens Hospitalized After OD'ing On Cough Medicine [Re: Seuss]
    #6127486 - 10/03/06 06:35 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

DXM, although relatively safe, can kill you. You only need to drink 1200 mg of DXM to be at risk of death (equivalent to two bottles of the robitussin DX), but I only know of one report of death from overdosing on DX. The secondary chemicals are much more dangerous in that regard.

DX does, however burn large holes in the part of your brain that controls memory, eye movement and the ability to understand metaphors. Buggered if I can remember what it's called. It's at the front. It's also highly addictive.

The high is very introspective and hallucinations and euphoria are key elements. Unlike acid or shrooms which tend to make you notice things about the world around you, DXM makes you notice things about yourself, if that makes any sense.

The high comes in stages or plateaus. There are five of them each with their own characteristics and traits. During the high extremely abnormal behaviour occurs in some of the brain cells in that part of the brain I was talking about. There are two major ideas as to what causes the damage. One idea is that they over heat and effectively burn themselves out, the other that the waste produced during this activity destroys them. It could be a combination of both. There are several ways to protect your brain, but since this bizarre activity causes the high, protecting your brain gets rid of some of the more interesting effects. LSD and alcohol are two ways to protect your brain. The alcohol will cause extreme nausea and the LSD will give you a very bad trip. I know the alcohol part is true, but I haven't tried taking a tab and a bottle, and frankly I don't want another bottle of syrup after knowing what it does to you.

Hope this was informative :laugh:

--------------------
<sig></sig>

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Teens Hospitalized After OD'ing On Cough Medicine [Re: HiHi]
    #6127494 - 10/03/06 06:50 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

> DX[M] does, however burn large holes in the part of your brain that controls memory, eye movement and the ability to understand metaphors.

This has only been proven in animals, not humans, though evidence is starting to show that humans are also effected (as expected). The holes are not "huge". In medicine, they are called vacuoles, and are considered tiny. The vacuoles show up in the posterior cingulate cortex and retrosplenial cortex of the brain.

> Buggered if I can remember what it's called.

NMDA Antagonist Neurotoxicity, commonly called Onley's lesions or NAN.

--------------------

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Loc: Mycotopia.net
    #6127875 - 10/03/06 10:20 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You should email them the update.

OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

#6128182 - 10/03/06 11:34 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> DXM will not kill you...

Just like water, if you consume too much, you can die.

> spreading misinformation will kill more of your children people...

I agree. You should probably be more careful with your statements.

If you're going to misread things intentionally just save your breath. These kids did NOT take ANYWHERE NEAR a gram of DXM and you know it.

My statement was very clearly within the context of the current thread, and we both know damn well these kids were hospitalized for overdoses of the secondary actives.

And since, by responded the way you did, you just implied DXM WILL kill you... I suggest you go site some deaths, save a little face.

(Or maybe you should be belittled for being a hypocrite too, because that's a good use of our time here...)

PS: In coricidin cough, THE DXM WILL NOT KILL YOU, the other chemicals will kill you first. My statement is not even incorrect.

Edit: Upon re-reading my first post I missed the word 'the' before DXM. My bad. In a bad mood today, misread your intention.

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

Edited by ExplosiveMango (10/03/06 11:42 AM)

Offlinealoofiam
Stranger

Loc: Anywhere but here
    #6128358 - 10/03/06 12:17 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe if the government/society wasn't cracking down so hard on marijuana use these kids wouldn't have been trying to find some alternative legal way to get high.

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA Flag
Re: Teens Hospitalized After OD'ing On Cough Medicine [Re: aloofiam]
    #6128505 - 10/03/06 01:10 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i wonder if anyone invisioned any of this when they decedied it would be an awesome idea to replace codeine in cough supressants with dxm.  i think about it and it makes me laugh

they get rid of codeine so junkies can no longer get a weak fix otc.. but now you got a million kids tripping out everywhere on a disassociative :lol:

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #6131502 - 10/04/06 07:24 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

> My statement was very clearly within the context of the current thread

Clearly to you perhaps, but not to me.  I thought you were making a blanket statement that DXM cannot kill, which is what you said, and is obviously false.  Had you included anything to tie your statement into the original post, such as "There is no way the amount of DXM these kids took could kill", then I would not have been confused or felt the need to clairify.

> Upon re-reading my first post I missed the word 'the' before DXM. My bad. In a bad mood today, misread your intention.

Hehe... you are not alone.  I do it all the time....  :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates