Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMoxemerald
Executive

Loc: NJ
buddhism
    #6124443 - 10/02/06 01:09 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Does anyone know of a place or monastery where I can essentially live with monks/teachers and take up buddhism for good.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
Re: buddhism [Re: Moxemerald]
    #6124490 - 10/02/06 01:18 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Most major cities have a temple or two

google your city and "buddhist monastery"

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

OfflineMoxemerald
Executive

Loc: NJ
    #6124499 - 10/02/06 01:19 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

But these places do exist then? Like one where you can just joinup and stay and take up the teachings etc etc

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
    #6124615 - 10/02/06 01:46 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

heh, I have the feeling its not that easy.... I doubt they just let anyone walk in and live with them. But there are temples all over the place yea.

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #6124682 - 10/02/06 02:05 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

There are some monasteries in North America with residency options, but all of them charge for room and board I believe. In Asia there are many monasteries with residency, but the problem is they may not speak English. I'm not sure about $$ there though.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: buddhism [Re: dblaney]
    #6125447 - 10/02/06 06:02 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

not all places charge money. i stayed a month at a hindu ashram and did 24 hrs of work (they called it Seva or "service) a week and met alot of awesome people. then i got kicked out because i was sick of doing pointless work like raking the tiny rocks in the pathways to make them flat. and then have people walk over them 5 minutes later leaving huge footmark. but oh well, that is common i think. there is usually drama of every kind. you can find a place to go. you show up and if it is gonna work out, you will be invited to stay, or you can ask to stay that might work too. there really is no "one" way to get into these things. there is one place www.mountmadonnacenter.com that you send in an application and then get an interview. i might be going there. but that is yoga, i have no experience with buddhists

Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

Re: buddhism [Re: sleepy]
    #6125460 - 10/02/06 06:07 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

you could also do a work exchange at a farm. the easiset way to do it is to sign up for wwoof.org . you can find farms to work at all over the world (the fee to join the program is a ripoff in my opinion because all these people do is keep up a website and make little ID cards) but there are farms in spain as well as the southern hemisphere/mexico who need help in the winter, and you can do your practice while you work on the farm.

here is an example in thailand

Host ID : THA001 SfCiNa2AdKaWgawtbLeDsGcbXs
NE Thailand WWOOF Retreat - from the world of hyperstimulation. A quiet contemplative atmosphere in a natural setting conducive to inner exploration - meditation, yoga, solitude. Select library for guidance. Aiming for sustainable self-sufficiency. Permaculture primary influence. Appropriate tek high priority. Work with 1 or 2 local people. Soo has started another small homestead 3 hrs north on family land - SOO LEE'S BIG HOUSE Organic Farm. Loong (uncle) Bob - retired - born in USA. Accommodation: simple - no electric, TV, fridge, radio. Local Customs: We're very strict on sensitivity/respect. Clothing - loose and covered. Behaviour - as low profile guest of Thai people. BRING Musical instruments - sense of humour - curiosity. Tobacco - NO. Minimum stay - 1 month Possible Involvement: local temples, mud brick building, rice-planting/harvesting, building bicycle grain grinder, solar cooking/baking. Other WWOOFers across village. Contact Post Only. Please include IRC coupon,

http://www.wwoof.org/newsite/wlist.asp

Edited by sleepy (10/02/06 06:08 PM)

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: buddhism [Re: sleepy]
    #6125465 - 10/02/06 06:09 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.vagablogging.net/archives/001610.shtml

A traveler's guide to Buddhist meditation retreats in Thailand

--------------------

Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

#6125474 - 10/02/06 06:13 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Moxemerald said:
But these places do exist then? Like one where you can just joinup and stay and take up the teachings etc etc

you could also go to India/Nepal where westerners do this all the time... you shave your head and they give you clothes to wear and everything. you become a monk and there are so many monks there its not even funny. if you do yoga you don't have to shave your head though

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #6125683 - 10/02/06 07:15 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

do you want a permanent monastary experience, or just an extended meditation retreat?

either way, there are tons of places. whereabouts are you looking? in the west or in india?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies