Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
Deciding A Major
    #6118248 - 09/30/06 11:26 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

alright so i am kind of at a shitty time in my life. i am attending comm. college trying to transfer to a 4-year school, but have no fucking idea what the hell i want to do as a career. the classes i am currently taking are alg, english, psychology, and anthropology. i found that i won't be pursuing anthro fter i finish it, but i do enjoy psychology.

my first choice as a major is psychology. but now i am thinking this wouldn't be too good of a thing to major in because of the limited job opportunities. i have thought about going to med school and whatnot, but i don't really know if i have enough devotion to do something like that.

besides psychology, i thought about working in the real estate feild. my father is a real estate broker, so it seems this would be a good route to go. i just don't like the idea of being behind a desk all day with tons of papers and filing.

i don't have any clue what i want to major in. what are some things you guys majored in. what are some majors that would be good for soeone who is interested in the human mind, drugs, plants, music, etc.? it's very stressfull not knowing my major. :rolleyes:

--------------------
I Ain't No Fool. Mama Didn't Raise No Fool.
----------primussucks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Deciding A Major [Re: mushiemountain]
    #6118249 - 09/30/06 11:27 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Be an English major, read a ton of books. :smile:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
Re: Deciding A Major [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #6118253 - 09/30/06 11:29 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I'm about to switch majors from Biology to English...  :thumbup: 

Or :thumbdown: ?

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Deciding A Major [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #6118272 - 09/30/06 11:35 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

English is a great major. It's a major that is a door into all sorts of professions, much moreso than Psychology, which is regarded as kind of a default major these days. English majors are usually well-read individuals, and English majors often have a good mind for History as well, and that usually implies well-roundedness, and leaves a lot of doors open. THat's how I feel at least.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
    #6118285 - 09/30/06 11:41 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i don't think english would be the major for me at all, especially since english is the only class i am sucking at. all my english class is is writing essays and reading. it's horrible. i also don't have a very good mind for history either.

english and history = my least favorite subjects

--------------------
----------primussucks

InvisibleAfroshroomerican
Oprah's Minion
Male

Loc: Pennsylvania
    #6118289 - 09/30/06 11:42 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Ok I was in the same boat.

The main reason I chose to change from English to Biology was simple: Science pays the bills.

I don't mean that English is a fruitless course of study; however, there aren't nearly as many job opportunities as there are in the science fields unless you intend on becoming a teacher.

With psychology, you really won't be grossing much unless you get your Ph.D.

Evaluate the pros and cons of majors (including salary) taking into consideration your academic strengths.

--------------------
"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

<passitbobbie> if I just showed you a closeup of my ass
<passitbobbie> youd think it was female

"You owe errrbody up in here an apology fow youwe shit, HO!" - classic

Edited by Afroshroomerican (09/30/06 11:42 AM)

Invisiblephalloidin

Re: Deciding A Major [Re: Afroshroomerican]
    #6118352 - 09/30/06 12:12 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

A bs in biology really isn't worth shit either. you could probably get a job as a lab tech making mid 30's depending on your location. The vast majority of biology majors I know are all pre-med. If your going into biology, either aim to go to med school or grad school, or double major in biology/buisiness or something.

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: The desert
    #6118357 - 09/30/06 12:15 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Cognitive Sciences  :thumbup:

--------------------
LNC's official Alaskan stoner
:jackdaniels::drooling::jackdaniels:

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

Re: Deciding A Major [Re: Jadian]
    #6118439 - 09/30/06 12:54 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

hell, if youre looking for just a bachelors you might as well just get ANYTHING. It doesnt matter what you go for, just that you go.

but if you wanna be really technical, then go into the medical profession. Go for something like radiology tech. Get a little certificate, and then make like 40k.
or go into nursing.

where i live (north burbs of chicago) nurses and radiology techs make SOOOOOOOOO much money. And the schooling isnt very long. most programs are only 2 years, in fact. but man do they make a lot of money.

--------------------

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #6118445 - 09/30/06 12:59 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

go with your first choice.
It's something you will do the rest of your life, so it better be good. Too bad if jobs aren't really abundant, but if you find one you'll be real happy :thumbup:

Offlineapfrommsp
Just a box ofrain

Re: Deciding A Major [Re: stefan]
    #6118543 - 09/30/06 01:33 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

idk I had that problem deciding, i had psychology on my app at first but later changed it to political science with a focus on law, i wanna go to law school after college and be a defense attorney specializing in drug crimes, so I can do something for what I believe in and get some people off hopefully

--------------------
"It's a joke. Greed and the desire to take drugs are two separate things. If you want to separate the two, the thing you do is make drugs legal. Accept the reality that people do want to change their consciousness, and make an effort to make safer, healthier drugs."

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #6118604 - 09/30/06 02:04 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

if you're going to bother paying to go to school and getting a degree then get something that actually leads you into a profession. tech majors are good...communications..buisness degrees are always useful. find out what majors lead where and focus on something, because going to school and getting an english or pyschology degree is about a step up from a high school diploma these days. getting an english degree vs a engineering degree is basically just a difference of 20 or 30k starting salary when you get into the work force. just keep that in mind when you decide..especially if you need to pay back loans.

Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
Re: Deciding A Major [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #6118723 - 09/30/06 03:00 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i was thinking of a business degree. would real-estate fall into that category as well?

--------------------
----------primussucks

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #6118731 - 09/30/06 03:04 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

a background of buisness classes would definetly help in real estate, especially if you ran your own company or something, but i think real estate has it's own school..like a two year program or something? i'm not sure why i think that, but i do. my brother almost got a real estate lisence so it can't be too hard.

Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6118802 - 09/30/06 03:27 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

first of all you don't want to get any old degree, not all degrees have a good job market, I talk to an advisors about your options, but make a choice, don't be too undecided, because that can drag on you later down the road

and english and phycology are in that category of low markets and low pay, avoid

if your good at math I'd become an engineer or get into computer science,

community colleges are in the business of selling education and classes, remember there selling degrees that may not pan out for shit, so be careful in what you choose, I'd closely look at the needs of the job market coupled with your interest and go from there

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

#6118806 - 09/30/06 03:27 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, a real-estate license is like a one-class thing. a certificate/license. my best friend signed up for a class comin up.

getting a trade certificate is a great way to get situated into a career. Hell, in 10 years, everything will fall back into vocations.

--------------------

Offlinemushiemountain
i am the sacredone
Re: Deciding A Major [Re: Colbadol]
    #6118816 - 09/30/06 03:32 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i think i will ditch the psychology major. i am pretty good at math, but no expert. i am horrible at problem solving. i want to make some good money, but doing something that i would enjoy.

real estate seems like it would be a good easy route, if it's only a 2-year school. i don't know if i would enjoy that as a career though.

what exactly is there in the field of computer science?

what's a trade certificate?

it seems like i could do a lot of with a business degree.

--------------------
----------primussucks

OfflineToad_Stool
Sloth Nation
 User Gallery

Loc: California
    #6118833 - 09/30/06 03:37 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Do what you like, a lot. Don't fall into the cookie cutter shit.

--------------------
There's nothing more I'd rather do, than the drug I call you

Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Deciding A Major [Re: Toad_Stool]
    #6118909 - 09/30/06 04:02 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

computer science prerequisites are close to that of engineering in that requires alot math, science, and engineering courses, but also includes programming languages, and then gets more involved with computer oriented stuff, don't know much about it, probably networking, security, and alot of programming and design

trades are good option too, because they are directly reflected of the job market, which cuts out all the nonsense and gives tools for specific trade that is in demand, some trades pay out really good, also technical schools are similar in that respect as well, something you might want to consider.

Edited by capliberty (09/30/06 04:03 PM)

Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
Re: Deciding A Major [Re: capliberty]
    #6119538 - 09/30/06 07:33 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i'm a psychology major, no idea what i'm gonna do with it tho. only switched to it cause it's interesting.

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale