Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblegregre
Small black flies
    #611217 - 04/17/02 07:10 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I do casings in the open air with homemade myco bags. I have began noticing small black flies here and there but not in large numbers, maybe just one or two. How can I avoid this in getting out of control? Is there an insecticide I should be using or some kind of natural insecticide(such as a plant) that I should be using.

I know that I have used tansy(the herb) to repell misqutoes, ticks and fleas when I used to go camping and this works well. Is this the answer to my question or does somebody know of something else? I would like to avoid un-natural chems if I could.
In the meantime I'm going to use Tansy for now. I'll let you know if this works.

I would like someone to get back with me ASAP cause I have a shitload of shrooms growing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: Small black flies [Re: gregre]
    #611220 - 04/17/02 07:16 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

catnip repells some pests...

but it sounds to me like you've answered your question.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Small black flies [Re: gregre]
    #611756 - 04/18/02 08:37 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

My friend had tiny small black flies start to appear once long ago. At first there were only a few here and there, but after a week or two they were everywhere. My friend got some kind of insecticide strip that hangs in the grow room. This worked fairly well, but the flys kept multiplying. We finally gave up and started tearing apart everything trying to figure out where the damn flys were coming from. Ended up that there was a bag of compost that was infected. We opened the bag (which was supposed to be sealed... guess not) and saw millions of those suckers in there crawling around. It looked like the compost was alive and moving on its own there were so many. After tossing the bag of compost outdoors in the trash the flys disappeared in a few more days and have never been back since.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblegregre
Re: Small black flies [Re: Seuss]
    #611829 - 04/18/02 11:02 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I found that what I wrote the other day is working so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Since I took a couple of fresh leaves of the herb Tansy and crushed them and then spread them around they had disappeared. They must not like it to well. The compost that I used is sterilized well and I don't believe thats where they are coming from, but The jars that I had discarded outside are poluted with them. I believe they are attracted to the grain substrate.

Thanks for yours posts guys.
I'll let you know if this continues to work....

04/19/02...The tansy works real well...

Edited by gregre (04/19/02 05:38 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate