Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesuprropmp
Stranger
1st time grow... left them in too long :(
    #6115879 - 09/29/06 02:54 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Well let me first say hi to everybody and I want to let you guys know that I tried to find this information without making a post but was not able too.

On to the story, I've been sick the last couple days and I left the mushrooms in there a couple days too long. All the caps broke and there were spores everywhere and the mushrooms were all blackish and purple (I'm guessing from the spores). How do I know if these are still good to eat? I am afraid of them being infected or what not. Oh by the way these were grown on cakes made with vermiculate and rice flour. Oh and one of the cakes has some greenish stuff on it.

Thanks guys.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinephunker
Stranger thenStrange

Loc: At your door with spores
Re: 1st time grow... left them in too long :( [Re: suprropmp]
    #6115925 - 09/29/06 03:06 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

pics? The green doesn't sound good. The shrooms should be okay as long as there's no bacteria(slimy, wet like stuff?). Again pics will help those experts truely help yah out.

Invisiblekintos
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 1st time grow... left them in too long :( [Re: phunker]
    #6115977 - 09/29/06 03:27 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

pick and dry them asap and crack the stems open, if there black on the inside there no good for eating. but when i tried drying my harvest some (most) of them rotted on the inside but looked ok on the outside i just chopped them up made tea then filtered them out and drank and i tripped just fine.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st time grow... left them in too long :( [Re: phunker]
    #6115981 - 09/29/06 03:28 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

The shrooms are good. If the green is really green and spreads or wipes off with a cue tip, it is mold and the cake must be tossed immediatly (not the shrooms). If it is greenish blue and doesnt come off on a cue tip then it is bruising and normal.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (09/29/06 03:28 PM)

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: 1st time grow... left them in too long :( [Re: scatmanrav]
    #6116146 - 09/29/06 04:27 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

scatmanrav still on top of things

Offlinesuprropmp
Stranger
Re: 1st time grow... left them in too long :( [Re: memes]
    #6116937 - 09/29/06 09:28 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Offlineeclipse
Stranger
Male

#6117120 - 09/29/06 10:17 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

that first Pic looks like good healthy bluing and the other pics also look fine to me just normal post sporulation coloring.But wait till a mod or someone like scat or monstermitch chime in on this they are the omniscient ones.

--------------------
All that is now
All that is gone
All thats to come
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

PF

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: 1st time grow... left them in too long :( [Re: eclipse]
    #6117595 - 09/30/06 01:25 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

can u post a picture of the green on the cake?

thanks

Offlinesuprropmp
Stranger
Re: 1st time grow... left them in too long :( [Re: CptnGarden]
    #6117605 - 09/30/06 01:31 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Thats good to hear that they look normal. Sure, I will post a picture of the cake tomorrow... a bit to tired to mess with it now.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #6117642 - 09/30/06 02:08 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

mushrooms will suck nutrients from all parts of the cake, and if theres a patch of green (and not blue), it could be mold. if theres green mold on your cake, the mushrooms could have easily absorbed toxins from the mold, making them poisonous (without having to eat the mold itself)

Offlinesuprropmp
Stranger
    #6118339 - 09/30/06 12:08 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Its a light green on the cake... I will post a picture of it soon. I picked them yesterday and I wanted to eat them today, maybe I will just make tea out of them to be safe.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6118403 - 09/30/06 12:33 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomieOfDoomie said:
mushrooms will suck nutrients from all parts of the cake, and if theres a patch of green (and not blue), it could be mold. if theres green mold on your cake, the mushrooms could have easily absorbed toxins from the mold, making them poisonous (without having to eat the mold itself)

nah.  first off there's not any green molds that produce "toxins" harmful to humans.  second off that's pretty much a myth that a mold can secrete a toxin that somehow travels through the mycelial network into fruitbodies. 

actually, lets just think about that for a second.  a mold's metabolites or "toxins" are designed to kill off competing microorganisms.  so where a mold might secrete such a thing, the surrounding mycelium would be most likely killed off.  so how do you propose dead mycelium is going to transport the so called toxins to live mycelium, when the toxins would kill any live mycelium it comes in contact with? :smile:

think of all the assumptions that have to be made for that to be true:

1. toxins must be harmful to humans.  (of which green molds are not... in fact they produce some beneficial to humans... remember our buddy pennicillin?)
2. toxins must not be harmful to mycelium in order to be transported around
3. they would probably need to be water soluable to ever even have a chance in hell to make it to the fruit body...
4. they must make it there in a large enough amount that you'd get a harmful dose of it... so it'd probably require a heck of a lot of mold that's been established for a pretty long time - chances are you wouldn't even have fruits to worry about if you had that much mold.

so sorry to go off on a tangent but people keep repeating that myth over and over and it just doesn't make sense, long story short, its not even possible.

as long as the fruitbodies themselves aren't covered with a mold, or haven't rotted (bacteria) there's *nothing* to worry about.  be careful handling a contaminated cake and dispose of it immediately when molds are noticed, because in many cases mold spores if inhaled are far more harmful than any "toxins" the molds might secrete.

in summary, your mushrooms are totally fine man, the color in the stems is some very pretty blueing actually, eat up you will enjoy those :thumbup:

Offlinesuprropmp
Stranger
Re: 1st time grow... left them in too long :( [Re: creamcorn]
    #6118420 - 09/30/06 12:43 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Whoa lots of info there creamcorn. I've noticed some light green on the stems as well, is that normal? I really don't want to make a trip to the hospital tonight.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6118462 - 09/30/06 01:07 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

well sometimes "blueing" ranges anywhere from almost purple to almost green.  depends on what color the mushroom was... obviously a yellowish colored stem + blue bruising = green in color. :smile:

at any rate i didn't see anything i'd worry about in your pictures. 

if in doubt just scrape/cut the light green part off.  in fact if it was a mold the green would be kind of dusty once dry and you could rub it off or brush it off with an old toothbrush (that would get rid of it, and answer your question as to what it is)

i promise you won't be making a trip to the hospital tonight.  at least not directly related to eating those mushrooms.  maybe indirectly related to doing something stupid while you're tripping, but that's all on you. :wink:

OfflineDrMario
Head-Shrinker
Male User Gallery

#6118474 - 09/30/06 01:11 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with creamcorn. Also, green mold isn't THAT harmful. People shy away from it like it's the deadliest thing ever.. but it isn't.

When thinking of harmful, frightening molds, be afraid of black mold. That's the deadly stuff. Green mold, as we have seen on cakes and substrates, are more harmful to our lovely fruits than to us. Keep mold out of your growing because the mold will inhibit, if not shut down completely, the growth of your wonderful friends.

If you think about it, we've all eaten green mold, and none of us are dead. Green mold hides itself very well in bread, and if you don't inspect your bread closely before eating it, you've probably consumed green mold.

Anyhow.. just thought I'd rant a little on the paranoia of some folks about green mold. I'd be pissed if I see green mold, but it wouldn't make me throw away any fruits. Even if it's on the stem, cut that part out, eat the rest! That's my opinion at least. Feel free to do what you will.

:mariopeace:

--------------------
"Hence in the wise leader's plans, considerations of advantage and of disadvantage will be blended together." -Sun Tzu

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #6118486 - 09/30/06 01:15 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I just want to point out that there is one type of mold you MUST MUST MUST keep an eye out for.  Black pin mold WILL fuck you up, it IS toxic to humans and if your cakes become infected with it you MUST NOT consume the mushrooms from that cake. 

Point is, while most of the molds you encounter in this hobby are benign to humans, there are some out there that are dangerous and can land you in the hospital.  You also must be careful when working with infected cakes because breathing in the spores can make you sick.  It's happened to a member or too on this board from smelling an infected cake.

Other then that tho, creamcorn is on the money, trich wont harm you in any way besides dissapointment in losing part of your grow. :smile:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st time grow... left them in too long :( [Re: coda]
    #6118556 - 09/30/06 01:39 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

yep there's a few black molds to worry about besides mucor (black pin), including the infamous stachybotrys... aspergillus niger can also be slightly harmful in larger amounts.  most of us arent experts in molds and mycotoxins so i would say anything but green should be treated as potentially dangerous and thrown out.

brown molds are problems too, aspergillus flavus is one that grows on grains so its one to be concerned with, (its actually white, turning to brown as it sporulates) and produces toxins... supposedly was even cultured in labs in iraq for bioweapons depending on who you want to believe :wink:

and yeah as to consuming green mold without knowing it, it happens a lot more than many realize even with their mushrooms.  green mold grows white and stays white for some time, looking like and often mistaken for mycelium... it only turns green when it sporulates.  so by the time you see the green color, it means the mold has already been there for several days.

Offlinesuprropmp
Stranger
    #6118746 - 09/30/06 03:12 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you everybody for your input and advice. I just checked out the cakes again and now there is some golden brown crap on there (it wasnt there yesterday when i picked them). Pictures coming in a few minutes.

Offlinesuprropmp
Stranger
    #6118753 - 09/30/06 03:14 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Offlinesuprropmp
Stranger
    #6119340 - 09/30/06 06:36 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Any last opinions before i try eating these suckers?

Offlinesuperftp
Stranger
    #6119378 - 09/30/06 06:51 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

i wish i had one....i don't even know man..if you live pls repost bak to let us all know....gl

Offlinemushnoon
MushNoob
Male User Gallery
    #6119387 - 09/30/06 06:54 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

should be fine, just dont eat the brown stuff.

--------------------
I love the feeling when it falls apart. Im slow to finish but im quick to start.

Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Loc: mycoland
Re: 1st time grow... left them in too long :( [Re: mushnoon]
    #6119442 - 09/30/06 07:07 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

toss the cake, eat the mushies, thats what i think.

--------------------
----------

Offlinesuprropmp
Stranger
Re: 1st time grow... left them in too long :( [Re: odium33]
    #6119587 - 09/30/06 07:53 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

thanks guys... i think everything will be cool... maybe i will post tonight :wink:

Offlinezak9331
MoFo
 User Gallery

#12083500 - 02/23/10 01:44 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

shit yo, its been 1241 days and he never answered back......doesnt look too good

Invisible99BOOMERMAN
The Professional
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: 1st time grow... left them in too long :( [Re: zak9331]
    #12083604 - 02/23/10 02:04 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Why have you resurrected a thread which is well over 3 years old??????????????????????????????????:rolleyes:

--------------------
Anything posted in this thread is just some well thought out bull-shit,which is completely for entertainment purposes only.

AMU      "Q&A's  Thread"

INGENIOUS MONO TUB LINER

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 1st time grow... left them in too long :( [Re: zak9331]
    #12083661 - 02/23/10 02:17 PM (14 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

zak9331 said:
shit yo, its been 1241 days and he never answered back......doesnt look too good

:facepalm:

:tard:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck